Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

What bothers me more than anything is the fact that the kids are the ones who suffer for the mistakes of coaches and administrations that don't do things above board. I hope that T$$AA does not take away Temple's basketball championship in this situation. If they do anything, they need to punish the coaches and administration -- but not the students. Why should kids, who have done nothing wrong and have worked so hard, be penalized for the ignorance of adults (who should know better)?

Old Pirate agrees in part, however the title would have to be taken to send the message. The adults are the wrong doers here, which is unfortunate. Old Pirate says the kids will learn a valuable lesson on right and wrong and hopefully not make the same mistakes once they become responsible grownups (?).

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those in the Chattanooga area and interested. Both Stephen Hargis (Times Free Press Sports Writer who wrote the article in this mornings paper) and Scott Chastain (ex-Temple Defensive Coordinator/Head Coach) will be "The Drive" on ESPN Radio 1370 today between 4 and 5pm with Stump Martin.

I'll be gettin on a bus about then to head to a scrimmage. Somebody listen and give us a summary

What bothers me more than anything is the fact that the kids are the ones who suffer for the mistakes of coaches and administrations that don't do things above board. I hope that T$$AA does not take away Temple's basketball championship in this situation. If they do anything, they need to punish the coaches and administration -- but not the students. Why should kids, who have done nothing wrong and have worked so hard, be penalized for the ignorance of adults (who should know better)?

Life is not fair. If they did cheat (and remember we do not know how deep this goes) how can you not take it away from them? I agree some kids don't deserve it, but if kids were on scholarship you have to take it away from them. Its part of playing a team sports one person can mess something up for many.

I agree with all that you said. Have said it myself. The question then is how do you make those responsibly suffer the consequesnces? Make them pay the fines incurred by Temple for the violations? Some other form of punishment? I like the idea of the guilty paying for their mistakes and not the innocent but the qustion is how.

Chastain is partly paying, he lost his job and his name is being drug down.

I suppose you could hand out the fines to the school and penalize the coaches by suspending them from coaching for a period of time (something like that). Of course, if they take the Gold Ball away -- the players still know they did nothing wrong in this situation and fact remains they were the champions. I don't think you will ever take that away from them, but it's just too bad that this will always hang over their accomplishments on the playing field or court.

Yeah I will be too. Its got to be very interesting. I do not know how much Chastain will say though. I hope Hargis forces him to answer some tough questions.

Hargis won't be doing the interview, he will just be a participant as Chastain will be. Stump will be doing the interview. I have an idea of what direction he will go with it as well. I don't know if he will ask any tough questions, however I do think that Stump will ask him questions that let you get a good look at things from Chastain's point of view. Stephen will probably give a bird's eye view of it all with the obligatory Brentwood Academy reference at some point. Either way I think it will be informative.

Yeah I will be too. Its got to be very interesting. I do not know how much Chastain will say though. I hope Hargis forces him to answer some tough questions.

I agree. Hope its worth listening too on my way home from work.

Hargis won't be doing the interview, he will just be a participant as Chastain will be. Stump will be doing the interview. I have an idea of what direction he will go with it as well. I don't know if he will ask any tough questions, however I do think that Stump will ask him questions that let you get a good look at things from Chastain's point of view. Stephen will probably give a bird's eye view of it all with the obligatory Brentwood Academy reference at some point. Either way I think it will be informative.

Stump does some good work, so I'm sure we will get some information out of the interview.

I imagine that Chastain will tell us only what he wants us to know regardless of what questions Stump may ask.

I agree with all that you said. Have said it myself. The question then is how do you make those responsibly suffer the consequesnces? Make them pay the fines incurred by Temple for the violations? Some other form of punishment? I like the idea of the guilty paying for their mistakes and not the innocent but the qustion is how.

True, it would be next to impossible to do. You also have remember the kids on the other teams temple played. If the ineligible kids at Temple had not played could some other team have won the title instead of Temple? Temple would not have been the same team without the Skogens. It wouldn't be fair for Temple to keep the title either

True, it would be next to impossible to do. You also have remember the kids on the other teams temple played. If the ineligible kids at Temple had not played could some other team have won the title instead of Temple? Temple would not have been the same team without the Skogens. It wouldn't be fair for Temple to keep the title either

Old Pirate says good point ZP. Earlier post hinted that there is more people involved than just the TT nation. Teams that could/would have won a region (SP) lost that opportunity when they were defeated by TT. However, this is not about the Pirates but rather a large number of teams affected by these types of things. Arts & Sciences could/would have possibily beaten a lesser team than TT. The wide range of people affected by these things are HUGE and not simply TT kids.