Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me Admin and Coaches thinking instead of knowing is what got them into a lot of this mess

I think everyone here is being very nice and taking them at there word and maybe rightfully so. But this could be a fabricated story because they cannot show on the books where they paid the tuition, and I wonder how the TSSAA can determine what really took place.

I don't think that is obvious at all. Based on statements from Temple's ex-coaches and admin I think that is what is being investigated further

What I meant by obvious is that the tuition rule is one that is the book because it helps to keep a curb on recruiting. What is obvious is that neither Kevin nor the administration were guilty of recruiting as it related to the Skogens' tuition. They had already been at the school a long time.

TSSAA will make their judgement(s) based on the evidence that is in front of them. If Temples bookkeeping does not show that Skogens paid for tuition, then that is how it will be handled.

Dee Newsome was supposed to go to ND until he did not get enough financial aid and ended up at Temple. It was not because it was 2 miles from Senter. There is more than one situation to look at!

Dragoo does not teach P.E. so I don't know how all these Grace people think they know what Coach Dragoo did, but your facts aren't correct. I think I would be careful about tossing someone's name around who isn't involved.

Ok may bad. Then the CSAS kids wore there Temple stuff to someone elses PE class and that "someone else" informed Dragoo. Dragoo did more than I would by contacting Temple first. I would have just contacted the TSSAA. Temple people should be greatful to Dragoo for giving them a chance to fix it first. If what I heard is correct.

Exactly. Skogan even referred to recruiting as well in a quote. It is unfortunate but it is true that recruiting is a major part of the whole investigation.

Old Pirate says the Drunken Sailor is on target. The TSSAA violations revolve around TT recruits and paid tuitions.

A school seeking/approaching an athlete has to show the prospect some incentive for coming to their schools. In the case of TT it obviously was not tradition. Possibly the TSSAA has more investigations involving players due to transfers than any other problems. Old Pirate has been warned about this thread's direction, but this is a problem thoughout high school sports public and private.Schools need to win and often times pad grades and give other incentives to players to participate in athletics. Temple admin/coaches had to know there were violations, but turned their heads and prayed that it would not become uncovered. Old Pirate is sure Temple had good intentions and trying to bring the school notorioty. Schools often attempt to take a fast track to respectibilty resulting in short term success and setbacks. Old Pirate hopes the kids currently at TT can continue to build lifelong memories on the field and courts.

What bothers me more than anything is the fact that the kids are the ones who suffer for the mistakes of coaches and administrations that don't do things above board. I hope that T$$AA does not take away Temple's basketball championship in this situation. If they do anything, they need to punish the coaches and administration -- but not the students. Why should kids, who have done nothing wrong and have worked so hard, be penalized for the ignorance of adults (who should know better)?

What I meant by obvious is that the tuition rule is one that is the book because it helps to keep a curb on recruiting. What is obvious is that neither Kevin nor the administration were guilty of recruiting as it related to the Skogens' tuition. They had already been at the school a long time.

Got ya. I don't think any of the Skogen's being recruited would be an issue either since they were at the school a long time.

For those in the Chattanooga area and interested. Both Stephen Hargis (Times Free Press Sports Writer who wrote the article in this mornings paper) and Scott Chastain (ex-Temple Defensive Coordinator/Head Coach) will be "The Drive" on ESPN Radio 1370 today between 4 and 5pm with Stump Martin.

What bothers me more than anything is the fact that the kids are the ones who suffer for the mistakes of coaches and administrations that don't do things above board. I hope that T$$AA does not take away Temple's basketball championship in this situation. If they do anything, they need to punish the coaches and administration -- but not the students. Why should kids, who have done nothing wrong and have worked so hard, be penalized for the ignorance of adults (who should know better)?

I agree with all that you said. Have said it myself. The question then is how do you make those responsibly suffer the consequesnces? Make them pay the fines incurred by Temple for the violations? Some other form of punishment? I like the idea of the guilty paying for their mistakes and not the innocent but the qustion is how.

Chastain is partly paying, he lost his job and his name is being drug down.