Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

A few points to keep in mind:

1) There is an investigation underway, and that's key. A verdict/decision has not been given because there are plenty of details to sort through, and I'm sure the TSSAA is going to handle this properly.

As Mr. Carter is quoted as saying in the paper: "Obviously this is a very serious issue, so we won't drag our feet in coming to a conclusion. But we also won't be rushing because we want to give Temple every opportunity to give us an explanation." (emphasis added)

Based on a number of the posts, which are full of speculation and little fact, Temple is guilty, guilty, guilty, and have been for years. Absurd.

2) Interpretation can work a number of different ways. Hargis writes, "After the football season ended in the third round of the playoffs last fall, both Skogen and Beard resigned and Chastain was named head coach. Chastain was later fired by the school after it was discovered the TSSAA was investigating several recruiting allegations. Skogen also resigned as basketball coach shortly after the Crusaders won their third state title, beating Arts & Sciences."

Coach Skogen only agreed to coach the basketball team for one year. He made that clear to Temple, to family, friends, and whomever he chose to tell. IF someone were to imply that Coach Skogen resigned because he was somehow afraid of a pending investigation, etc., that is simply untrue. As to the reasons for resigning as a football coach, those were spoken to in the article.

3) The implication that basketball championships won during Coach Wadley's tenure at Temple are now suspect is also completely without merit, and further wild, ignorant and irresponsible speculation. The reputations of fine men are at stake (the Wadleys and the Skogens), and needed to be handled with greater care. Since when is someone guilty until proven innocent? Indicative of the greater problems in our society, I'm afraid.

4) To whomever asked about posting in third person. It is arrogant and annoying, and those who speak in that voice typically make the most ignorant comments. I, for one, wish it would be banned by Coach T.

- Oldhops1 (writing as Oldhops10 because my old account is messed up).

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't lay back and think I was safe if I were in a similar situation. I would be sweating bullets. There is always someone who knows something beyond what you think you have under control. Temple didn't start this. Someone complained with compiled evidence. When its to good to be true, it usually is. Starts people digging if they have an interest in the situation. I think that's what happened here. If you have been keeping up with this you would see where a letter was submitted by an outside source. With evidence to be investigated.

That letter wasn't the smoking gun, nor was it prompted the ACTUAL investigation.

A few points to keep in mind:

1) There is an investigation underway, and that's key. A verdict/decision has not been given because there are plenty of details to sort through, and I'm sure the TSSAA is going to handle this properly.

As Mr. Carter is quoted as saying in the paper: "Obviously this is a very serious issue, so we won't drag our feet in coming to a conclusion. But we also won't be rushing because we want to give Temple every opportunity to give us an explanation." (emphasis added)

Based on a number of the posts, which are full of speculation and little fact, Temple is guilty, guilty, guilty, and have been for years. Absurd.

2) Interpretation can work a number of different ways. Hargis writes, "After the football season ended in the third round of the playoffs last fall, both Skogen and Beard resigned and Chastain was named head coach. Chastain was later fired by the school after it was discovered the TSSAA was investigating several recruiting allegations. Skogen also resigned as basketball coach shortly after the Crusaders won their third state title, beating Arts & Sciences."

Coach Skogen only agreed to coach the basketball team for one year. He made that clear to Temple, to family, friends, and whomever he chose to tell. IF someone were to imply that Coach Skogen resigned because he was somehow afraid of a pending investigation, etc., that is simply untrue. As to the reasons for resigning as a football coach, those were spoken to in the article.

3) The implication that basketball championships won during Coach Wadley's tenure at Temple are now suspect is also completely without merit, and further wild, ignorant and irresponsible speculation. The reputations of fine men are at stake (the Wadleys and the Skogens), and needed to be handled with greater care. Since when is someone guilty until proven innocent? Indicative of the greater problems in our society, I'm afraid.

4) To whomever asked about posting in third person. It is arrogant and annoying, and those who speak in that voice typically make the most ignorant comments. I, for one, wish it would be banned by Coach T.

- Oldhops1 (writing as Oldhops10 because my old account is messed up).

OldTimeBaller?

Yes, and when you find out who, you will laugh, and then maybe cry.

I have heard this rumor too, but it is just hard to believe. I think the letter is what started it. We may not really ever know. What are the chances of that letter getting written at the same time? Its much more likely that the letter was written, started everything, and then the other person "help" the investigation along the way.

How trust worthy of a guy is Chastain going to be? He may just try to clear his name and not get too many facts outs in the open? By what I understand Chastain just recruited like crazy at Temple. (I heard that from a Temple faculty)

There are possibly plenty of things he can get out in the open. Some of which may have nothing to do with what has been discussed on here so far but could have deep impacts on the lives of others that are involved. But then you are probably correct, he could just keep quiet and tell a small part of the story. We'll have to listen today to find out for sure.

I have heard this rumor too, but it is just hard to believe. I think the letter is what started it. We may not really ever know. What are the chances of that letter getting written at the same time? Its much more likely that the letter was written, started everything, and then the other person "help" the investigation along the way.

Put the rumor out there, this is what the messageboards are for....Pure Rumors....Until of course the hammer falls on someone

There are possibly plenty of things he can get out in the open. Some of which may have nothing to do with what has been discussed on here so far but could have deep impacts on the lives of others that are involved. But then you are probably correct, he could just keep quiet and tell a small part of the story. We'll have to listen today to find out for sure.

I would be surprised if and new or big news comes out of this. But at the very least it should seperate some facts from rumors.

Not denying the letter happened. I just know it is not what got it to this point.

Perhaps that will come out on the radio in a little bit.