Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

As I have said before, IF Temple is guilty of any wrong doing then we should and hopefully will stand up and take it like a man without a bunch of embarassing whining, whimpering, and crying about it.

If you guys do not mind, I think we will wait until the TSSAA issues a verdict before we go back out behind the wood shed. It is going to take a whole lot more than an article written by a well known Temple hater, and a radio broadcaster trying to stay on the air who is good friends with Scott Chastain, to send me out hunting in the back yard for a whipping stick.

The thing that is starting to get really old and moldy is the continued attacks against Kevin Skogen and Dan Wadley's character from Temple haters. Neither guy is perfect. I have never met anyone who was, other than Jesus, have you? Did they ever make any mistakes? Absolutely. They had to have made mistakes. They were human.

Everyone be patient. The TSSAA is on the scene and I am confident that they they have no desire to hurt the school or the students and right now they are about the only ones who know anything at all and have not yet, themselves, arrived at any verdict.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a clerical/administrative error. Coach Skogen was paid by the school the amount that it would cost his sons to attend the school. The mistake came in that Temple was supposed to write Coach Skogen a check for his coaching services, and then Coach Skogen would turn right around and pay the tuition - which was a completely legitimate arrangement. It is a matter of a technicality, and something that the administration should have handled properly.

That's the story regarding the Skogens in this matter. Not nearly as lively as others might want it to be, but the simple truth nonetheless.

Since it is all verbal any claim can be made, if it had been in writing it would have been much better. It is not just a simple clerical error, it was a failure of the admin and coaches to know and follow rules. The TSSAA has to look at the facts which is the 2 Skogens' tuition was paid by the school for a non-faculty coach. Ignorance of the rules does not make something OK. Now at face value this does seem like a technicality but if the TSSAA lets it go where will the "I didn't know the rules" defense stop.

If you guys do not mind, I think we will wait until the TSSAA issues a verdict before we go back out behind the wood shed. It is going to take a whole lot more than an article written by a well known Temple hater, and a radio broadcaster trying to stay on the air who is good friends with Scott Chastain, to send me out hunting in the back yard for a whipping stick.

What fun is that...let the beatings begin..........

Since it is all verbal any claim can be made, if it had been in writing it would have been much better. It is not just a simple clerical error, it was a failure of the admin and coaches to know and follow rules. The TSSAA has to look at the facts which is the 2 Skogens' tuition was paid by the school for a non-faculty coach. Ignorance of the rules does not make something OK. Now at face value this does seem like a technicality but if the TSSAA lets it go where will the "I didn't know the rules" defense stop.

Good post. Very thoughtful and well stated.

Good post. Very thoughtful and well stated.

Thanks. I actually believe that it was unintentional, stupid but unintentional. It would have been real easy to write 2 checks, one from the school to Coach Skogen and then one right back to the school from Coach Skogen...problem solved. The TSSAA will probably take this in to consideration, as much as the bylaws allow,when penalties are considered

It makes sense and I believe Coach Skogen was sincere in what he thought, but according to the TSSAA it is still a violation, and yes it is the fault of the administration. This will be referred to as "lack of institutional control"!

It is not clearly a violation. Go and read the handbook for yourself. The issue that is addressed in the handbook is about financial aid. Let's try thinking outside the box for once. Kevin knows that his kids could not receive financial aid and be eligible to play high school sports. Give him that much credit. If a newspaper reporter calls you up on the phone and asks, "Did you know that it is a clear violation of the TSSAA handbook for you to not have written a check to TTA to pay for your kids tuition, " what would you say? I would say, "No, I did not know that was wrong." Do you know why Pearson and Skogen answered that they did not know it was wrong? It is because they did not know that it was wrong? Do you know why they did not know it was wrong? Because the TSSAA handbook does not say that it was wrong. What it clearly says is that the boys could not receive financial aid since he was not a full-time coach. Kevin made a verbal arrangement with Connie and they both understood it. In retrospect, maybe Kevin and the school should have exchanged checks. A clear cut violation, no way.

While Hargiss is doing a good job of writing and researching this issue, do not forget that he is at heart an employee who gets paid to sell papers and he is only telling and quoting what he wants us to hear. I remember an article that came out in the paper last fall about Temple's program shutting down and Skogen getting a lot of grief over the article. I overheard a conversation where one person was bad mouthing Skogen over the article and the person said, "Wait a minute, Skogen was misrepresented in that article and he was upset over it, also."

We are in really bad shape if we have lowered our intellect down to the level that we think that what we read in the paper or hear on the radio is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I wonder how many of the posters on here subscribe to the National Enquirer?

Some of you act like you know more about what is going on at Temple than people who are living it out there every day. The truth is that we could tell you some stories about the school that would make your blood curdle but it is that way at every school. Anywhere people are involved there are messes somewhere. Some are just better at handling them then others. I promise you that if anyone started digging around any of the other schools, public or private, they would find more than they bargained for.

Incorrect on both counts.

Not revisionist, just the simple facts. I took the time to speak directly to those aforementioned.

Nor irrelevant since names and reputations are involved.

Reread what Mr. Skogen told the paper. How it happened, or how they now say it happened rather, is irrelevent.

A non-faculty member coach did not pay tuiition for his athlete sons.

Both he and Mrs. Pearson have admitted it happened that way in print and to TSSAA..

Did you happen to ask him why he was telling the TSSAA this information in the first place/

Now that is a story.

As I have said before, IF Temple is guilty of any wrong doing then we should and hopefully will stand up and take it like a man without a bunch of embarassing whining, whimpering, and crying about it.

The thing that is starting to get really old and moldy is the continued attacks against Kevin Skogen and Dan Wadley's character from Temple haters. Neither guy is perfect. I have never met anyone who was, other than Jesus, have you? Did they ever make any mistakes? Absolutely. They had to have made mistakes. They were human.

Everyone be patient. The TSSAA is on the scene and I am confident that they they have no desire to hurt the school or the students and right now they are about the only ones who know anything at all and have not yet, themselves, arrived at any verdict.

Pasture everyone has no choice but to wait until something offical comes out to know for sure but talking on here about this or any other thread is what people do on coachT.What probably lures them to extra post is your repeated denial and naive connections that the wadleys and beards and skogens had with Temple.This is not just chastain and temple adminstration.Carter and the articles in the paper made that clear.Pretty soon your hopes will be dashed sooner than later but like always your naive and denial i am sure will find another angle to keep people posting.

It may not be true at Silverdale now, but at one point it was true. A lot of Temple teachers do not attend Highland Park. Read everything here with a grain of salt. We all have our agendas.

As of 4 weeks ago, this verdict came down from Bouler and the deacon board of HPBC that all paid employees of TTA , not TTU, who has its own policies now, must attend HPBC, unless the husband serves in a formal capacity at another church. This edict came long after renewed contracts with current staff and without provacation. For the most part, very few, maybe less than 5 actual TTA staff attend other churches in years past.

BTW, the TTA staff is paid via tuition monies not from Sunday offerings. TTA is not its own 501C3 rather an umbrella ministry of HPBC so all the financial accounting and the checks actual come from HPBC.