Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

And how stupid is that kid, for bringing that bag to class and then answering like that? How could he know that being at one school and practicing at another wasn't wrong. And not be smart enough to be quiet about it? Mad about Temple drumming them in the State Finals and wanted to help take them down? haha..but seriously It's hard for me to imagine someone being that stupid. I'm just curious as to why anyone from CSAS would want to go to Temple, having played against them. I know it's the football team but still. Especailly their parents, trading a great education to go to Temple.

This was a pretty stupid post

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is completely false. I worked at SBA from the beginning and that policy was never in place. When I began working at silverdale I attended Woodland Park.

You would know better than me. I apologize for posting incorrect information and am happy to be corrected.

It may have been they were only encouraged to attend SBC or they chose to do so on their own. I was led to believe, based on their own comments, that they were expected to attend SBC. I must have misunderstood. Sorry.

The idea that the skogens were recruited is rediculous- jake began at Temple in 9th grade- caleb in 7th- seth and joey started in 6th and 4th respectively-

obviously this is a technicality (skogen's tuition) that will screw temple because of popular opinion and hate....non of the players that have contributed to Temple's PAST success-were recruited, TSSAA already looked into that... this technicality could sink the ship- and was a mistake....but like the article said skogen paid full tuition the entire time at temple until he took over both head coaching positions...

I think temple should be punished because rules must be followed....however this is an administrative mistake not a mistake by the kids....it isn't like the skogen's would have left if coach skogen wouldn't have been paid, he had been their volunteering for over 5 years already...the success that the kids earned the kids should keep.....

THe punishment should fall on the adults- the administration the accountants etc...for letting this slip... fine temple..take their money....etc...- don't strip the kids of something they earned... do you think seth, josh, jeremy, brandon and dee knew everything that was going on with money being handed back and forth- or actually not being handed back on fourth...did they know about the agreements...no...they went out and practiced and won games...to take those accomplishments away is not justice...it is completely wrong!!

sink the school financially- punish the people involved in the mistake- not a bunch of 14-18 yr olds who knew nothing and DID nothing wrong

TSSAA HAS WAY TOO MUCH POWER...AND ARE CLEARLY IN THE WRONG if they take away high school kids accomplishments for a clerical error (if that is all that they can prove)- if other FACTUAL EVIDENCE comes out with PROVES temple did other things wrong...I will write a new book and post it for ya'll to read...

TSSAA has as much power as the membership schools have given it. This is not a goverment run agent, it is run by the member schools. The membership wrote the rules, not the TSSAA.

If the rules states(I don't have a copy of the rules book)that the fines must be levied, monies returned, trophies sent back and titles stripped, then so be it. That is the rule. As a member of TSSAA, you understand that when you sign up. You take your medicine.

I've been involved in two sport rulings, TSSAA and NCAA, where games were forfeited and in the case of the NCAA my team lost their national championship. Adults messed up and the kids suffered.

THe punishment should fall on the adults- the administration the accountants etc...for letting this slip... fine temple..take their money....etc...- don't strip the kids of something they earned... do you think seth, josh, jeremy, brandon and dee knew everything that was going on with money being handed back and forth- or actually not being handed back on fourth...did they know about the agreements...no...they went out and practiced and won games...to take those accomplishments away is not justice...it is completely wrong!!

sink the school financially- punish the people involved in the mistake- not a bunch of 14-18 yr olds who knew nothing and DID nothing wrong

I would agree . . .

TSSAA has as much power as the membership schools have given it. This is not a goverment run agent, it is run by the member schools. The membership wrote the rules, not the TSSAA.

If the rules states(I don't have a copy of the rules book)that the fines must be levied, monies returned, trophies sent back and titles stripped, then so be it. That is the rule. As a member of TSSAA, you understand that when you sign up. You take your medicine.

I've been involved in two sport rulings, TSSAA and NCAA, where games were forfeited and in the case of the NCAA my team lost their national championship. Adults messed up and the kids suffered.

Good post. Below is part of the section on membership and another on forfeitures with my emphasis added (the handbook in pdf form is on www.tssaa.org )

Other schools have been punished accordingly (most recently University School of Jackson had its baseball title taken away for eligibility violations). I feel for the kids but Temple should not get special treatment. The TSSAA really has no flexibility in eligibility cases, accidental or not. Another point most have missed is that from the statements made by Temple Admin they knew of violations but didn't self-report (as they stated as their reasons for firing Chastain).

Most of the the rules are very specific and reading the case examples (also on the site) makes things pretty clear. In any case there is not just one violation at Temple. IMO when this all is concluded Skogen's tuition won't be the biggest issue

Effect of Agreeing to Join TSSAA

Section 1. Membership in the association is voluntary. By joining the association, a member school agrees to abide by all rules of the association. If a member school, or that school's governing body, files suit against the association and does not prevail on the merits, the member school shall reimburse the association for all legal fees and expenses incurred by the association in connection with said suit.

Section 2. Each member school has a responsibility to monitor its athletic program and to self-report any violations of TSSAA Bylaws to the Executive Director as soon as the school is aware of possible violations. The responsibility extends to all administrators and coaches at the school. Each member school is responsible for the conduct of its administrators and coaches and for any knowledge possessed by its administrators or coaches.

Forfeitures

Section 11. All rulings on eligibility must be in writing, and the accidental, intentional or other use of ineligible players by a member school shall require that team victories in which the ineligible player participated are forfeited to opponents; and any one or more of these additional actions may be taken:

(a) That individual or team records and performances achieved during participation by such ineligibles be vacated or stricken;

B That team or individual awards earned by such ineligibles be returned to the TSSAA; and

C That a fine for the playing of an ineligible player be assessed against the school, if deemed necessary.

The kids from CSAS being at practice for Temple while in CSAS is bad stuff. How could a coach not know that was wrong? I can't believe that at all. And how stupid is that kid, for bringing that bag to class and then answering like that? How could he know that being at one school and practicing at another wasn't wrong. And not be smart enough to be quiet about it? Mad about Temple drumming them in the State Finals and wanted to help take them down? haha..but seriously It's hard for me to imagine someone being that stupid. I'm just curious as to why anyone from CSAS would want to go to Temple, having played against them. I know it's the football team but still. Especailly their parents, trading a great education to go to Temple.

You are amazing.

So not only will the state title and records go away, but Seth's receiving records too? Wow.

Good post. Below is part of the section on membership and another on forfeitures with my emphasis added (the handbook in pdf form is on www.tssaa.org )

Other schools have been punished accordingly (most recently University School of Jackson had its baseball title taken away for eligibility violations). I feel for the kids but Temple should not get special treatment. The TSSAA really has no flexibility in eligibility cases, accidental or not. Another point most have missed is that from the statements made by Temple Admin they knew of violations but didn't self-report (as they stated as their reasons for firing Chastain).

Most of the the rules are very specific and reading the case examples (also on the site) makes things pretty clear. In any case there is not just one violation at Temple. IMO when this all is concluded Skogen's tuition won't be the biggest issue

Effect of Agreeing to Join TSSAA

Section 1. Membership in the association is voluntary. By joining the association, a member school agrees to abide by all rules of the association. If a member school, or that school's governing body, files suit against the association and does not prevail on the merits, the member school shall reimburse the association for all legal fees and expenses incurred by the association in connection with said suit.

Section 2. Each member school has a responsibility to monitor its athletic program and to self-report any violations of TSSAA Bylaws to the Executive Director as soon as the school is aware of possible violations. The responsibility extends to all administrators and coaches at the school. Each member school is responsible for the conduct of its administrators and coaches and for any knowledge possessed by its administrators or coaches.

Forfeitures

Section 11. All rulings on eligibility must be in writing, and the accidental, intentional or other use of ineligible players by a member school shall require that team victories in which the ineligible player participated are forfeited to opponents; and any one or more of these additional actions may be taken:

(a) That individual or team records and performances achieved during participation by such ineligibles be vacated or stricken;

B That team or individual awards earned by such ineligibles be returned to the TSSAA; and

C That a fine for the playing of an ineligible player be assessed against the school, if deemed necessary.

Zone, your memory may be better than mine and I am too lazy to go look it up for my self but I do not remember the administration saying that they knew of any violations, only that they heard rumors and investigated them on their own. After investigating they could not nail down anything concrete. If they had admitted to any violations then we all would have moved on over to another, more intgeresting thread. The reason we are all perched like vultures in this one is that so far the only thing anyone has heard is speculation. TSSAA continues to use the term "issues" and not "violations" in their discussions.