Smith County @ Gordonsville

croz6110

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Smith Co play a few times with last one being when ya'll barely beat Boyd 28-21 in the second round. G'villed steamrolled us the week before (BTW that game is how they got their new name ) so I have some first hand observations on them too . We also beat Boyd 19-14 during the regular season so I have a pretty good basis for comparison. Now both teams have new players in some postions so it's not the same teams as last year but I believe "THE STEAMROLLERS" will be hard to stop this year. I'm sorry I had to break the bad news to the SC fans but I'm just telling it like I see it.

Comparative scores don't mean that much. We beat them head to head 27-6 last year. That one should count more than the ones you referred to. You should know a 1 point playoff win is good enough.

You are right that both teams have several different players. I was just wondering what you based your opinion on.

So the band can't play while the QB is under center?

I guess someone has to complain before it will be enforced.

Because the last few years on the creekbank, I don't think the band has been quiet once while the opposing team had the ball.

Hey now we are far enough away from Nashville, to not start getting liberal here. Thats what makes region 4 what it is. Team spirit support. Which pumps up the teams. Not to distract the game. Maybe we best have a vote on this before we are not given the chance. You know, like prayer in school, and a bunch more thats decided for us. Come on folks it football, not golf, or bowling.

It probably won't make much difference. I believe G'ville will win. Unless Smith Co. has the ref in their pocket.

SC has won 8 straight

SC has outscored Gville 193-77 in those 8 games

SC has won 17 out of the last 20 games

Out of those 20 games, GVille hasn't scored more than 8 points in 15 of them.

GVille could possibly beat SC this Friday, but how people predict it and sound so convinced every year, I'll never know.

Comparative scores don't mean that much. We beat them head to head 27-6 last year. That one should count more than the ones you referred to. You should know a 1 point playoff win is good enough.

You are right that both teams have several different players. I was just wondering what you based your opinion on.

A 1 point win is all you need in any game. I know SC has a long string of wins over the Ville including last year. I just believe the streak ends Friday

SC has won 8 straight

SC has outscored Gville 193-77 in those 8 games

SC has won 17 out of the last 20 games

Out of those 20 games, GVille hasn't scored more than 8 points in 15 of them.

GVille could possibly beat SC this Friday, but how people predict it and sound so convinced every year, I'll never know.

If you went by numbers why would you play the lottery? Or why do people bet on the long shot in a horse race? Maybe a hot tip? Either way it brings the crowds out of the woodwork. Almost as many as the Temple scandal.

As far as the bands, horns, fireworks, etc. It could really be argued all day long. And in those arguments, there are some vaild points in both directions. I know because I read them just last year when a thread was started on this same issue. But as far as I am concerned, I don't have a problem with the bands playing whenever they want. Like someone mentioned earlier, TC has the drums going constantly while their opposition has the ball. It does add to the atmosphere, and that is why "I Love HS Football!" As for the horns, they are the same way. I think they add to the atmosphere as well. No problem with them either. But, by teams blowing the horns at the inappropriate times, will cause TSSAA to crack down on this rule so that they can't be used at any point. So let's do a better job of that folks. The fireworks, now this subject is funny. Because two years ago, immediately after SC played Gville, SC got in trouble for shooting off fireworks. Hmmmm. We weren't allowed to do it anymore after someone across the river complained. And now I am reading that Gville shoots off fireworks? Fireworks do too add to the atmosphere. I am in favor of all of it, as long as it is done at the appropriate times.

In short, after watching GV v. Chetham County on Friday, I feel a little hesitant in predicting a two touchdown vicotry over Smith County (not because I do not have full faith in their ability to tie up the loose ends this week) for two reasons--and they are only a few weakness that worry me. First, what happened to GV's secondary coverage Friday night? Second, I believe we need to do a better job of effectively spreading the field by becoming offensively unpredicatable. Overall, I think the key to victory is building confidence one play at a time. So...start small with twins packages running slants; then, take a shot deep occasionally. In the end, win the chess game.

The fireworks, now this subject is funny. Because two years ago, immediately after SC played Gville, SC got in trouble for shooting off fireworks. Hmmmm. We weren't allowed to do it anymore after someone across the river complained. And now I am reading that Gville shoots off fireworks? Fireworks do too add to the atmosphere. I am in favor of all of it, as long as it is done at the appropriate times.

I know the TSSAA rules on fireworks backwards and forewards, FCS has shot them off at the begining and ending of home games for close to 3 years straight. As long as the hosting School's principle ok's it, the county police ok the area in which the fireworks will be launched, and the referee's ok it, then fireworks may be launched at the begining of any game, halftime of games, or end of games. Fireworks may not be launched after each touchdown for fear of it interferring with the extra-point attempt. How fireworks could interfeere with an extra point? no idea, but apparently it could.

As far as the bands, horns, fireworks, etc. It could really be argued all day long. And in those arguments, there are some vaild points in both directions. I know because I read them just last year when a thread was started on this same issue. But as far as I am concerned, I don't have a problem with the bands playing whenever they want. Like someone mentioned earlier, TC has the drums going constantly while their opposition has the ball. It does add to the atmosphere, and that is why "I Love HS Football!" As for the horns, they are the same way. I think they add to the atmosphere as well. No problem with them either. But, by teams blowing the horns at the inappropriate times, will cause TSSAA to crack down on this rule so that they can't be used at any point. So let's do a better job of that folks. The fireworks, now this subject is funny. Because two years ago, immediately after SC played Gville, SC got in trouble for shooting off fireworks. Hmmmm. We weren't allowed to do it anymore after someone across the river complained. And now I am reading that Gville shoots off fireworks? Fireworks do too add to the atmosphere. I am in favor of all of it, as long as it is done at the appropriate times.

Now, now, GV and SC is not the only people in attendance at our games. Surely it wouldn't be someone in your own 2A class. They all love y'all to much. GV dont have anywhere to shoot fireworks. To close to everything. Sorry to disappoint you. Plus GV cant afford fireworks. I hope SC starts shooting them again. I rather enjoy them. Who doesnt?

I know the TSSAA rules on fireworks backwards and forewards, FCS has shot them off at the begining and ending of home games for close to 3 years straight. As long as the hosting School's principle ok's it, the county police ok the area in which the fireworks will be launched, and the referee's ok it, then fireworks may be launched at the begining of any game, halftime of games, or end of games. Fireworks may not be launched after each touchdown for fear of it interferring with the extra-point attempt. How fireworks could interfeere with an extra point? no idea, but apparently it could.

Fireworks was never an issue til a couple of years ago.

Now, now, GV and SC is not the only people in attendance at our games. Surely it wouldn't be someone in your own 2A class. They all love y'all to much. GV dont have anywhere to shoot fireworks. To close to everything. Sorry to disappoint you. Plus GV cant afford fireworks. I hope SC starts shooting them again. I rather enjoy them. Who doesnt?

Evidently...the ones that turned us in.