KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1, good thing you told us your a band member from cascade i dont think any one would have figured it out lol. 2 Who said yall dont compete? 3, have you ever played football? if so then you should know that the only people that work harder then the football team is the wrestling team. good day my friend

no i havent ever played football but my cousin does i know its hard but so is marching band have YOU ever MARCHED in a real marching band ? !!!!!!

I absolutely agree with you. For the subsequent posters who don't think the definition fits - you have never seen regional marching band competitions. While the marchers don't have to have higher physical strength that a football player has, I doubt that many football players could blow on an instrument and march at the speeds that many of these excellent regional performers do without going through the training with them. It's a different type of physical strength, coordination, and musical ability. Think about it. A band in near constant motion for 8-10 minutes, playing music that sounds great, being almost perfectly in the proper place at exactly the right time. And yes, occasionally run over a judge that out there on the field in your way and not break your instrument or fall down.

Look at all the definitions of the word sport(s) and they are basically the same. Band is just another form of sport.

your an idiot. an everyone that thinks BAND is a sport. what part of band do you not understand it is an ART or ENTERTAINMENT. you guys play (an by play i mean play an instrument) in competitions not games. how many games have you played an Im not talking about half time shows. i am talking about playing against another band one on one an scoring points not being judged.

no i havent ever played football but my cousin does i know its hard but so is marching band have YOU ever MARCHED in a real marching band ? !!!!!!

your cousin??????? no you dont know its hard then cuz you have never played trust me you have no idea! No i have not marched in a REAL marching band an i would not be caught dead any were near the band not enough physical contact. From the way you people been crying about how much you have to run then march an all that crap i can tell none of YOU can cut it on a football team.

Physically demanding and competeing. Loads of practice.

Oh, and before you say something like "see who gets the most crowd" stuff, don't. The popularity of said events is irrelevent. That's not the point of this thread.

crying because you do "loads of practice" is relevant? everyone practices, practice does not make it a sport

i think MARCHING band is a sport just as football,soccer,baseball,ect. is. i am not saying that the others are not as hard i am just saying that we work just as hard as every one else and we are called an ART!!!!!! i could see that if we were talking about concert band but MARCHING band! we get hurt we sweat we have to remember our spots on the feild plus memorising music and holding out phrases ,which takes a whole lot off breath, and remembering if we are sposed to march backwards fowards sideways. dont let the image from movies and such fool you into thinking we dont work hard WE DO!!!!!!!!

can some one please tell me how band is not an ART OR ENTERTAINMENT, but instead you want to call your selfs athletes?

your an idiot. an everyone that thinks BAND is a sport. what part of band do you not understand it is an ART or ENTERTAINMENT. you guys play (an by play i mean play an instrument) in competitions not games. how many games have you played an Im not talking about half time shows. i am talking about playing against another band one on one an scoring points not being judged.

every one needs to stop being so sterotypical band is an art AND a sport just because we play insturments and just because we wear uniforms instead of jersys with our names and numbers on them does not mean that we are not a sport sport is just a word but the meaning behind that word says alot why is band "not" a "sport" we work SO hard and no one realizes that and it makes me mad that no one dose so some one give a REAL reason that MARCHING band isnt a sport i mean one that no one can argue with

your cousin??????? no you dont know its hard then cuz you have never played trust me you have no idea! No i have not marched in a REAL marching band an i would not be caught dead any were near the band not enough physical contact. From the way you people been crying about how much you have to run then march an all that crap i can tell none of YOU can cut it on a football team.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT WE ARENT A SPORT OR HOW HARD WE WORK IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED I HAVE SEEN OUR FB TEAM PRACTICE I HAVE TALKED PERSONALY WITH THE GUYS ON OUR TEAM I KNOW THAT IT IS HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

every one needs to stop being so sterotypical band is an art AND a sport just because we play insturments and just because we wear uniforms instead of jersys with our names and numbers on them does not mean that we are not a sport sport is just a word but the meaning behind that word says alot why is band "not" a "sport" we work SO hard and no one realizes that and it makes me mad that no one dose so some one give a REAL reason that MARCHING band isnt a sport i mean one that no one can argue with

I think PB has given a good reason. Working hard has noting to do with it im sure you guy work 10 times harder then baseball. You guys win competitions by a judge a sport is won by how many points that team scours. How can you argue with that?

I think PB has given a good reason. Working hard has noting to do with it im sure you guy work 10 times harder then baseball. You guys win competitions by a judge a sport is won by how many points that team scours. How can you argue with that?

but it depends on how well you preform your show to win just like how well you play your game to get those points

but it depends on how well you preform your show to win just like how well you play your game to get those points

your not seeing what im saying. i am saying there is no winner or loser in a band competition it is not down to two bands to play AGAINST each other your fate rest in a judges hands.

your not seeing what im saying. i am saying there is no winner or loser in a band competition it is not down to two bands to play AGAINST each other your fate rest in a judges hands.

yes but you still have one band that comes out on top by the way they prefom our fate is in that just like you always have one football team that comes out on top because of the way they play the game