Bearden vs. Dobyns Bennett

db123

Well DB will have to lose this game and the Oak Ridge game at home for my earlier prediction to come true,. So I'll take Bearden by 10. I don't think DB has ever had any home field advantage. Thats just a excuse used by teams in the past that have lost there. I actually think DB plays better on the road. I say DB will be 2 and 3 after 5 games then will win the rest of the regular season as well as winning the first round playoff and maybe more.

Readers said not possible when I wrote this summer a few bad breaks and DB could be 1-4 or possibly 0-5. DB simply does not have the fire power to overcome mistakes in a game. IF, Bearden has the defense alluded to in earlier posts, DB will only score 7 points. Bearden will not make the mistake of kicking to #24. 2 games=2 offensive TDs. Not too good. This could be the break out game for the offense, if so they can ride the wave to the first round. I think Robert E Lee rode a white horse the last time DB started the season 1-2.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WB is not a middle of the pack this year, they're darn good and so is Bearden. Both schools have a history of being mediocre, not this year. Both teams are big, tough, and experienced and will be hard to beat home or away. As for the Fred, it's an awesome place, the band and the walk are great, but they don't put any points on the board, and it won't rattle Bearden with 20 seniors starting, thes guys have already been to the Fred and seen all that. I am pulling for the Tribe, haven't seen DB yet, guess I'll see you guys next week. Good luck DB

Readers said not possible when I wrote this summer a few bad breaks and DB could be 1-4 or possibly 0-5. DB simply does not have the fire power to overcome mistakes in a game. IF, Bearden has the defense alluded to in earlier posts, DB will only score 7 points. Bearden will not make the mistake of kicking to #24. 2 games=2 offensive TDs. Not too good. This could be the break out game for the offense, if so they can ride the wave to the first round. I think Robert E Lee rode a white horse the last time DB started the season 1-2.

Watch Doggy what you said this summer was a stab in the dark.DB does have the firepower to beat anybody this year,they have just not used it yet.I have seen better play's called at the boy's club.GC changes the plays every game.The backs are running into the QB and we are not getting off the fast screen plays.Stick with a few plays and get good with them then change things around a little.It looks like over coaching IMO.

90% chance you are correct that Bearden will win. Does seem that too many folks are overly optimistic about DB.

So, does someone from Bearden know what starters from last year are back? Or perhaps Bud knows.

DBGRAD70.

Sorry, not Bud here, but I know a little. Quite a lot back from not only last yr., but many of this years SRs started/played as SOPHs. DB at there place is tough, but a good number of these kids will have played there, and lost. I suppose that could be good or bad.

I like there OL/DL. Not tremendously big, but they are strong, use good leverage, and are quick in the box. Goodrich, Shankles, Goultry have all been playing/starting since SO yr. Moore is also back and has played a lot of ball. FB is Pemeberton. Pretty good blocker, straight ahead runner. Strong kid. Running backs seem to be Works, Cunningham, and perhaps Rouse. Works is fearless, and hits the hole quick. Cunningham is a big rangey kid that has the speed to get a long way if given the chance. Hallady is a very good HS QB. Runs very well, throws accurately, smart, and tough. Eicholtz (sp?) is his primary receiver. TE/DE Williams or Willamson is dangerous as well. Scheme wise they use Hallady's skills well. Spread it out, move the pocket, roll it, etc.

Defensively, you will hear many of the same names, and that is where, I believe Bearden may have some issues either this Friday or on down the road. Depth. JMO. They do seem to be in very good shape, and are physical. Good luck to both teams.

ruse?

Watch Doggy what you said this summer was a stab in the dark.DB does have the firepower to beat anybody this year,they have just not used it yet.I have seen better play's called at the boy's club.GC changes the plays every game.The backs are running into the QB and we are not getting off the fast screen plays.Stick with a few plays and get good with them then change things around a little.It looks like over coaching IMO.

"Stab", nah, just the same thing everybody else was saying. Small, weak, inexperienced, no stab. Considering they only have 2 in the backfield, the QB and another back, about 50% of the time that is not good if they are running into each other. If they have the firepower they best be breaking it out the next few games or their gunpowder is about to get wet.

Bearden should win as they are the preseason favorite and deservedly so with the number of returning starters and experienced players. DB struggled to win last year's contest with a senior laden class.

DB is still trying to find themselves in an offense that doesn't seem suited for their personnel. Perhaps, the Indians should consider what they did two years ago with an underperforming offense and line up occasionally in the I-formation. #78 could provide effective blocking as a FB as #19 and #42 did last year. Effort is not an issue, but good teams make plays and this offense has yet to make a big play with the exception of #15's long run at Tennessee High. It has struggled to even make the required plays as dropped passes killed whatever chances DB had to defeat Wm Blount.

DB's defense has gotten great effort out of #78, #55, and #65 in the defensive line and from #15 and #2 in the secondary, but size remains an issue generally speaking.

The verdict is still out on the quality of DB's competition as TN High had a bye week last week and Wm Blount defeated a struggling 0-2 Sevier County team in week 0.

Bearden will truly be a true test to the capabilities of the DB coaching staff as DB hasn't defeated a supposedly better team than itself since 2003? when it made an incredible comeback to defeat Oak Ridge at home.

At the same time, Bearden's competition in 2007 has come from a 3A school in Carter and a mid-strength at best 4A school, West. While Bearden is 2-0, neither team it has played is the caliber of a tradition laden 5A school on the road. Bearden has never beaten DB and must clear a huge mental burden to do so. In addition, Bearden lost an experienced and great coach in Bill Wilson, who died in April.

Bearden has great talent returning and a balanced offensive attack. The defense held touted QB, Jake Ryan, and his West High counterparts to 14 points last week. The first points that they had given up all year.

Both teams have motivation to win and I expect a low scoring hard fought game as last year. However, I believe that home field and the experience gained at Wm Blount last week will play to the favor of the Tribe.

DB by 3. 17-14.

I understand from observation that Dobyns Bennett is down this year. However, no matter the skill level of Bearden, you have to play a smash mouth football game to beat this years Indians. What this years team may lack in skill players, size, and experience they make up for with heart and a drive to play hard until the last whistle blows. No, you can't win games on heart and effort alone, but I think you have to have seen these kids play before you can count them out as so many of you have without real knowledge of how good Bearden has played in their first two games. I feel Dobyns Bennett has gained alot from their first two games. Dobyns Bennett had almost three minutes left to attempt a tie or win against William Blount if it wasn't for a mental error and a mishandling of a punt by the return man. The score does not attest to the outcome. Dobyns Bennett will play a hard fought whole game this week, like last week. Will Bearden come to play four hard fought quarters at J.Fred? Tennessee High and West are most likely along the same talent level, but Carter and William Blount are no comparison. Who that has commented on this thread so far can really attest to the learning or bettering of Bearden's team in playing Carter and West? If you can, please enlighten me.

Dobyns Bennett has seemed to suprise most who consider them an underdog in a contest. For that reason, I say Dobyns Bennett suprises most in a close game.