9/7 White House at Alcoa

timbdp

I've just been keeping up through news and didn't have the pleasure of visiting the small town of Alcoa on this trip but I've been there before. Those people in East Tennessee had rather play football than eat. I wish it had been different but I (and many others 'round WH) suspected this would be an uphill battle and they brought the wood. That sting is behind us now (no pun intended) so we need to take that wood and build a fire.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the game-Solomon makes a good point, but I also understand that Alcoa and Maryville will always have haters both are feared and revered.

I agree. As long as both are winning then it's going to be like that. And barring anythign crazy, I don't foresee either not winning on a consistent basis for sometime.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or anything of the like, just pointing out what I saw. Both teams mistakes offset each other in that game to where the final score was probably very indicitive of how the game actually was played. Alcoa was able to drive the ball, but Maryville was able to use a quick strike offense and capitalized on Alcoa mistakes.

I've just been keeping up through news and didn't have the pleasure of visiting the small town of Alcoa on this trip but I've been there before. Those people in East Tennessee had rather play football than eat. I wish it had been different but I (and many others 'round WH) suspected this would be an uphill battle and they brought the wood. That sting is behind us now (no pun intended) so we need to take that wood and build a fire.

hmmm football-eat-football-eat oh man this is a difficult choice

Sorry, but I have to poitn this out.

42-14 is probably a very good indicator of the score if you did actually see the game.

Yes, Alcoa had a couple of chance in which they could have kept the game closer, but also don't forget Maryville was also about two plays away from the score being 56-14 as well. I specifically remember a fumble out of the back of the endzone and another play or two that could have made it more decidely in Maryville's favor.

Good points Solomon. Tyler Clendenen took a slant 70 yds but lost the ball when he was diving torward the end zone. Alcoa got the ball back on a touchback. Another play Maryville had a perfect play call. Burnett play action faked the ball to Cody McCoy. Thomas Shuler was running all by himself and dropped a sure touchdown pass.The next play Maryville fumbled the ball to Alcoa. At the time I was worried that those plays would come back and haunt Maryville.

On the WH and Alcoa game it was a huge mismatch in speed. I saw 3 touchdowns where Alcoa scored on one play.

Good points Solomon. Tyler Clendenen took a slant 70 yds but lost the ball when he was diving torward the end zone. Alcoa got the ball back on a touchback. Another play Maryville had a perfect play call. Burnett play action faked the ball to Cody McCoy. Thomas Shuler was running all by himself and dropped a sure touchdown pass.The next play Maryville fumbled the ball to Alcoa. At the time I was worried that those plays would come back and haunt Maryville.

On the WH and Alcoa game it was a huge mismatch in speed. I saw 3 touchdowns where Alcoa scored on one play.

RebelRon the whole arguement is useless IMHO. In the old days, 70's & 80's, it used to bother me.....greatly!!!! Some of my best friends went to Maryville and I dated a Rebel Girl for 6 plus years so I had to hear it all of the time. However, the enrollment is no where close now and the game is nothing more than a tradition than a meaningful game. Now when Alcoa was beating them in the late 80's and early 90's it was fun--but the Maryville enrollment precludes any realistic chance for Alcoa to consistently beat them. Way too deep.... Now, with this being said, I do believe this Alcoa Coach will make it interesting in the year's to come as Alcoa is now starting to experience growth. Plus the younger classes are loaded with tons of speed. Anyway, enough rambling, I have not lived in Blount County for 20 years, so it is easy for me to express my opinions. I am also very proud for Maryville to represent BLOUNT COUNTY and win so many state championships. The Maryville/Alcoa competative relationships honestly shaped me in more ways than anything in my life other than God, Parents and Children/Family. Blount County is a wonderful place and yes I agree with an earlier post: Football is more important than ________! You fill in the blank

I'm still learning my names. I'll try to have them down by November.

No they can't. Maryville beat them 42-14. Maryville is a great team that dominates 4A. With that being said however Maryville has won a bunch of closer state titles than 42-14 scores. Look at the three wins over Hillsboro and the two wins over Melrose in recent years.

Week after week I doubt Alcoa could just stand toe to toe with teams like Riverdale, Smyrna, Oak Ridge, etc. The depth is far greater and the athletes are just as equal. SORRY!!!!!

Big Country-If I remember correctly. A few years ago Alcoa beat three 5A programs in one year.

I checked my facts and in 2004:

1st game beat 5A S Doyle 49-12

2nd game lost 4A Maryville 18-31

3rd game won 5A William B 20-7

4th game won 5A Heritage 40-6

Then they beat DL and Huntington.

That looks like a tougher 5A schedule then some teams play.

Tell Phillip Fulmer girls that. LOL Yeah, and so does Farragut, Brentwood and Germantown. Check the AVG income in those 4 areas and put it up against Alcoa. You might be in for a suprise

Riggo I grew up in Alcoa and I'm here to tell you that you are gonna always hear maryville has some blue collar folk too...just be careful not to open up the single parent can O worms. You might keep em quiet with the median income statistics though Then again they might have something if we're just talking Springbrook and kick out the Hall and Oldfield communities. But let's just get back to football.

I was @ the game and to be honest, I was a little surprised @ how we responded to Alcoa. We were so pumped before the game that once we got out there, it was like 'deer in the headlights' and Alcoa dominated. We attempted to make a return after halftime but I guess there isn't really a return after a 41-0 lead taken in the first half.

Props to Alcoa. They were good. Really good. :]

Hopefully, WH can pull it together before this Friday. I know that I'll be there, cheering for them in my blue & white.

I was @ the game and to be honest, I was a little surprised @ how we responded to Alcoa. We were so pumped before the game that once we got out there, it was like 'deer in the headlights' and Alcoa dominated. We attempted to make a return after halftime but I guess there isn't really a return after a 41-0 lead taken in the first half.

Props to Alcoa. They were good. Really good. :]

Hopefully, WH can pull it together before this Friday. I know that I'll be there, cheering for them in my blue & white.

Now that's a TRUE FAN! Good luck to yall the rest of the season

Small Blue Collar working class (Alcoa) vs Bigger and richer school(Maryville). It's a story book game every year.

I will have to disagree with you on the demographics of Greater Maryville/Alcoa. We might be two cities but we are one community. I am a native Blount Countian and have lived in 2 different houses in Alcoa and 2 different houses in Maryville. The first one in Alcoa was from birth. Our Parks/Rec is combined, we have one Christmas parade, and when we win state championships in the same year we celebrate together. The only complaint I have is I wish the TSSAA would let us play on the same day in the 'boro if we are both fortunate to make it there again.