Oak Ridge vs. McMinn Co.

boyfromsi

It's a final: Oak Ridge 34 McMinn 20. I don't think OR expected to play McMinn and the officials at the same time, but they did. They prevailed in spite of the officials best efforts to keep McMinn in the game. The OR defense totally shut down McMinn's offense. Yes, there were some legitimate inteference calls on Oak Ridge. Anyone who was there knows that if the Cats breathed in McMinn's direction - out came the flags. Combine this with bouncing balls being called McMinn completions - and you get the picture.

I'm curious what the grading or review process is for officials. This game film needs some attention from the TSSAA.

McMinn has some talent and could be dangerous on any given night, but the Wildcats were ready. Great effort!

BS ORnole did you forget about the 2 unsportsman penalties that were called againist McMinn? The one interference penalty was a joke and you are correct the ball bounced atleast twice off of the turf.

Thoughts from Tribefan:

Very good OR team....BIG....Strong.....QUICK....and they have 4 players that are a threat to score every time they have the ball.....very deserving of #2 in Tennessee (by the way if they are #2 I would hate to see how good #1 is).

A comment about the field, yes the famed "Blakenship" field.....maybe they should let the cows graze from end zone to end zone because obviously the mower is broke. Our kicker had to actually use a tee on his extra points because the grass was so high as he usually kicks off of the ground....Come on OR Boosters you have this great tradition and many championships and you make your kids play on that pasture. Spend some of that money that OR has and build your program a facility that your community can be proud of. And lets not even talk about the tiny bathrooms and the tiny dressing room....my dad played at this place back in the '40's! Listen you have a great football tradition and do things first class there is no doubt about that but it is time to either upgrade what you have or build something new. McMinn Co. was in the same situation in the late 80's and finally built the present stadium and field house in '91 part with private donations and the other part with county dollars....they spend 2.3 milllon in '91.

OR you are the best in this region as I have said many times and will continue to be the standard that all other teams measure themselves by. You have an excellent football team great supporters and you do things in a first class manner. Good luck the rest of this season and we look forward to the challenge next year in Athens...

GO TRIBE!!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BS ORnole did you forget about the 2 unsportsman penalties that were called againist McMinn? The one interference penalty was a joke and you are correct the ball bounced atleast twice off of the turf.

Agreed. I didn't consider those penalties. From the other side, tell me about the McMinn drive(?) to score their 3rd TD. Almost every yard on that drive was from a penalty or a missed call. It was very frustrating to see bouncing balls and "light touch" personal fouls give an opponent a TD, just when OR had gone up by 2 TDs. I guess there were just too many "questionable" or flat out missed calls on one drive not to question the officials competency or motivations.

Agreed. I didn't consider those penalties. From the other side, tell me about the McMinn drive(?) to score their 3rd TD. It was very frustrating to see bouncing balls and "light touch" personal fouls give an opponent a TD. I guess there were just too many "questionable" or flat out missed calls on one drive not to question the officials competency or motivations.

We are in agreement on some of the bogus calls......I got one for you the side ref. on our side called one of the unsportsman penalties on a preacher which acts as the team spiritual leader and is on the sidelines all game. Now that is funny and something that ref. should be very proud of calling a penalty on a man of the cloth.

By the way did you recognize the center ref. he appeared to be over weight and about 70 years old and was out of position all night long.....he did throw is hankey twice.

This crew needs some work.....one more thing the umpire marked the ball ready for play 3 times when the chains were not even set.....bad piece of officiating on the "White Hat's" part....

Gotta go.....it is late for this old fart....

GO TRIBE!!!!

The "Ship" is the redheaded-step child of the Oak Ridge school system!!! They just won't spend money on it. And you are right those are the same restrooms your father used. It's an embarrassment to us for our opponents to have to use such facilities. You should see the locker rooms...there both teams are straight out iof 1940's. It really stinks that we can spend almost 60 million on a new school and can't spend any money on the "Ship" And by the way that's the depth the grass is always mowed. By the school maintance crew. Those guys do a good job of caring for the place with no extra money.

Heck,

OR football supporters have it all wrong and that's why they can't get any money for a first class facility. All you need to do is move soccer back up to Blankenship to share the facility and the money will pour in for an entire new stadium. The administration that is in place and the school board you have elected are anti football and until the citizens standup and make noise it will always be the same. They are still waiting for The AEC to rebuild it, no The DOE, no heck, who is it now. LOL

Ole Dad

The "Ship" is the redheaded-step child of the Oak Ridge school system!!! They just won't spend money on it. And you are right those are the same restrooms your father used. It's an embarrassment to us for our opponents to have to use such facilities. You should see the locker rooms...there both teams are straight out iof 1940's. It really stinks that we can spend almost 60 million on a new school and can't spend any money on the "Ship" And by the way that's the depth the grass is always mowed. By the school maintance crew. Those guys do a good job of caring for the place with no extra money.

Thoughts from Tribefan:

Very good OR team....BIG....Strong.....QUICK....and they have 4 players that are a threat to score every time they have the ball.....very deserving of #2 in Tennessee (by the way if they are #2 I would hate to see how good #1 is).

A comment about the field, yes the famed "Blakenship" field.....maybe they should let the cows graze from end zone to end zone because obviously the mower is broke. Our kicker had to actually use a tee on his extra points because the grass was so high as he usually kicks off of the ground....Come on OR Boosters you have this great tradition and many championships and you make your kids play on that pasture. Spend some of that money that OR has and build your program a facility that your community can be proud of. And lets not even talk about the tiny bathrooms and the tiny dressing room....my dad played at this place back in the '40's! Listen you have a great football tradition and do things first class there is no doubt about that but it is time to either upgrade what you have or build something new. McMinn Co. was in the same situation in the late 80's and finally built the present stadium and field house in '91 part with private donations and the other part with county dollars....they spend 2.3 milllon in '91.

OR you are the best in this region as I have said many times and will continue to be the standard that all other teams measure themselves by. You have an excellent football team great supporters and you do things in a first class manner. Good luck the rest of this season and we look forward to the challenge next year in Athens...

GO TRIBE!!!!!

See, OR Administration....its time to put some $$$$$ into Blankenship. Visitors dressing rooms, concession stands and bathrooms need to be constructed on the vistors side, topped by new bleachers, tearing down the old bathroom and concession stand, making room for visiting buses to unload on that side of the field (you might avoid some post game problems like at the Clinton game last week if it was configured that way)...with the visitors side being done, the home locker rooms could be expanded to allow the whole team and coaches to actually all get inside at halftime. We now have a fabulous new basketball arena, its time to work on this facility and quit relying on the Boosters Club and Quarterback Clubs to do and pay for alll the improvements, these are too big for them to handle...also replace that faded out scoreboard, and relocate more to the center of the north end of the field...also, field turf is coming to a lot of high school stadiums, I understand Dobyns-Bennett will be getting it at the end of the current season and Morristown has already got it...and I think the grass was a little high to help it survive the heat and drought, and both teams had to play on it....

There is a new scoreboard going up where the original one was located, on the side of the field where the main entrance is. However, it was not bought by the schools, a local business donated the money for the board. It was suppose to be up by the first home game, but, as I understand it, one issue afer another keep arising that keep pushing it back.

By the way pictures of last night game can be located at:

Oak Ridge Boosters Picture Page

Roll Wildcats Roll /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Unless there is a change McMinn JV and Freshman come back to the 'Ship tonight (Monday) for another matchup to see what the future may yield for these two teams.

Actually the 'Ship is going to be very busy tonight with the two middle schools finishing their game from last Thursday that had to be called due to thunderstorms. This starts at 4:00pm.

After the Middle schools finish, then the JV will play. After the JV get finished then the freshmen will battle it out.

THIS is Monday Night Football in East Tennessee. Y'all come!

Roll Wildcats Roll! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Good luck to both the JEfferson Eagles and the Robertsville Rams all future Wildcats.