Temple's response to TSSAA

zonepirate

zonepirate, you represent a great school with a great tradition. As a newcomer to Chattanooga, I don't have any real affiliation with Temple, but I believe they got a raw deal. Ronnie Carter is a bought and paid for mouthpiece who has direct ties to Friendship Christian. In the legal arena, they call this a conflict of interest. Also, the TFP has no use for Temple whatsoever. Did their report get dumped by a Temple girl when he was younger?

I think you're wrong about TFP and their attitude toward Temple. It appears to me that all Chatt. media outlets have been pretty enamored with Temple. Maybe you know something I don't.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think being stripped of their region championship and being fined over $4000 is harsh, but Temple deserved it. They've got to learn the rules, or pay the price. Temple allowed Eric Larson to practice with the team in the spring of '06 when he was still enrolled at SE Whitfield. That extra practice time undoubtedly helped the team the next fall. That violation alone deserves a stiff penalty.

Old Pirate says, Temple obviously dodged the killer hit and that for the most part is good. However Temple and other programs that participate in similar practices need to be punished severely. OP was under the impression Larson was also on the basketball team. OP finds it regretable that the real master mind behind Temple's downfall went scot free.

So the rumors about football players not paying tuition including some of the coaches kids were just rumors huh?

Suprprise the TSSAA making a big deal out of what might have been a minor mistake, however recruiting and practice goes on year round and nothing happens.

No. Part of the penalities are for Chastain's son playing while not paying tuition so it wasn't rumors. I don't think what was done was looked at as a minor mistake by the TSSAA. Reguardless of what the pricipal said on the Temple website the Temple AD considers Temple lucky and just wants to accept the punishment without appeal and get all this behind them. Temple dodged some bigger bullets. Here is the TFP article

Temple Penalties

I think you're wrong about TFP and their attitude toward Temple. It appears to me that all Chatt. media outlets have been pretty enamored with Temple. Maybe you know something I don't.

I agree. When Temple was the Cinderella team I thought the media was biased towards them. I guess when the tables were turned all that attention was suddenly unwanted

I agree. When Temple was the Cinderella team I thought the media was biased towards them. I guess when the tables were turned all that attention was suddenly unwanted

The media is usually biased towards a Cinderella team.

As a Temple fan I think the coverage of the violations has been fair. The one front page headline was unnecessary because most readers don't care about Temple's situation, but the TFP habitually puts irrelevant news on the front page, (see headline about high school that teaches kids to make cynder blocks), so I'm not taking that as a stab at Temple.

IMO us Temple folks don't need to whine about how this whole thing is handled by the press. If our school hadn't unknowingly violated the rules we wouldn't have been put at the media's mercy in the first place.

The media is usually biased towards a Cinderella team.

As a Temple fan I think the coverage of the violations has been fair. The one front page headline was unnecessary because most readers don't care about Temple's situation, but the TFP habitually puts irrelevant news on the front page, (see headline about high school that teaches kids to make cynder blocks), so I'm not taking that as a stab at Temple.

IMO us Temple folks don't need to whine about how this whole thing is handled by the press. If our school hadn't unknowingly violated the rules we wouldn't have been put at the media's mercy in the first place.

I agree about the front page deal. It wasn't that big of a story. Some in Temple's Admin have made accusations that Hargis was out to get them when he was writing about the TSSAA investigation. I never could understand that attitude when he had written so many good articles when they were the "Cinderella" team

As for catching up on the topic, I did see but didn't care to read. Thanks again.

I can give you the Readers Digest version of the previous threads with these over-used buzz words and phrases:

Hammer is coming

Denial

Chastain

Lack of institutional control

Where there's smoke there's fire

Cheaters

OP says

Ignorance

Spring Practice

Make an example

CSAS

Hope this helps! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I can give you the Readers Digest version of the previous threads with these over-used buzz words and phrases:

Hammer is coming

Denial

Chastain

Cheaters

OP says

Ignorance

Spring Practice

Make an example

CSAS

Hope this helps! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Old Pirate says, looks as though everyone was in tune with the situation.

Hammer is coming

Denial

Chastain

Cheaters

OP says

Ignorance

Spring Practice

Make an example

CSAS

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> OP says /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Zonepirate, you seem to be a very objective fan, and I know dadoffour is the parent of a Temple football player. I don't have an affiliation with Temple. However, I think Steven Hargis and Ronnie Carter are in bed together on this issue. My friends who are Temple fans say that the school freely admits mistakes were made, but the severity of the penalty is a joke. In the legal arena, intent is always the primary factor in detemining punishment. Temple had a new administration and things slipped through the cracks. Scott Chastain was a bitter pill and wanted to get even with Temple. Take a melgamaniac like Ronnie Carter and a half wit reporter like Steven Hargis and you have what we now see: a school that did the right thing and admitted its mistakes and had the book thrown at them. This penalty was like killing a fly with a nuclear warhead.

Hammer is coming

Denial

Chastain

Cheaters

OP says

Ignorance

Spring Practice

Make an example

CSAS

thanks for the short version. that's pretty funny /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />