South Doyle over Central 29-28 in 2OT

Rebelsports

I just want to add my two cents worth. I have never posted to a message board before - but when I learned of this one and some of the things that have been said, I thought it time to do so. As a parent, I am very pleased with the coaches at South-Doyle. I am a parent who told my son when he was in 8th grade that I would not allow him to play football because of the behavior I was seeing out the previous head coach of the program.

I am very pleased with the teaching of my son on and off the field by this head coach and his assistants. Jonathan wasn't always a starter! He wanted to quit the summer before his sophmore year. Through the efforts of the coaches as well as my wife and I, he stuck with it. He became a better player, person, and is now (in my unbiased opinion) a fine young man. I think the coaches contributed to that. The life lessons taught are invaluable.

Yes, these coaches were there when tragedy struck our family. Yes, they were there at the hospital when his mom died and again after his injury during the probable season-ending surgery (after midnight after a tough game). If they didn't care about him as a person, they wouldn't have been there for that surgery- after all, he most likely wasn't going to be back on the field.

In my view, this team has gotten a little better every year under this coaching staff. A culture is not typically easily or quickly changed. As I watch the games, the team progresses during the season. Of course, the team will have very disappointing down games (Powell this year) - but speaking as a 20 year coach of different youth sports, I have learned that every season there are games like that. You never know why - it just happens, even if the coach did everything the same or better. But I have learned to teach the players to keep on going and next week will be better. And sometimes, the next week after the horrible game, you pull the great upset (Central). And then, some day when real tragedy strikes - your mom dies, or you suffer a season ending injury - you know the sun will come up tomorrow, you will persevere, and still be a contributing member of society.

The really great thing about sport is that it teaches valuable life lessons. Even within a game the lessons are taught. I've seen Jonathan make a really bone-headed play, only to return the next series and make a great play. Sometimes it works the other way - lest we get too big-headed, after the great play we sometimes make the critical mistake. But through it all you NEVER give up!

Yes, I like this coaching staff. I look forward to Jonathan's little brothers, Caleb and Sam, playing for them. Every Friday night, I'm sitting about halfway up on the north 40-45 yardline if you want to talk about it.

Lynn Mitchell

Father of #6, Jonathan Mitchell

Proverbs 3:5-6

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to add my two cents worth. I have never posted to a message board before - but when I learned of this one and some of the things that have been said, I thought it time to do so. As a parent, I am very pleased with the coaches at South-Doyle. I am a parent who told my son when he was in 8th grade that I would not allow him to play football because of the behavior I was seeing out the previous head coach of the program.

I am very pleased with the teaching of my son on and off the field by this head coach and his assistants. Jonathan wasn't always a starter! He wanted to quit the summer before his sophmore year. Through the efforts of the coaches as well as my wife and I, he stuck with it. He became a better player, person, and is now (in my unbiased opinion) a fine young man. I think the coaches contributed to that. The life lessons taught are invaluable.

Yes, these coaches were there when tragedy struck our family. Yes, they were there at the hospital when his mom died and again after his injury during the probable season-ending surgery (after midnight after a tough game). If they didn't care about him as a person, they wouldn't have been there for that surgery- after all, he most likely wasn't going to be back on the field.

In my view, this team has gotten a little better every year under this coaching staff. A culture is not typically easily or quickly changed. As I watch the games, the team progresses during the season. Of course, the team will have very disappointing down games (Powell this year) - but speaking as a 20 year coach of different youth sports, I have learned that every season there are games like that. You never know why - it just happens, even if the coach did everything the same or better. But I have learned to teach the players to keep on going and next week will be better. And sometimes, the next week after the horrible game, you pull the great upset (Central). And then, some day when real tragedy strikes - your mom dies, or you suffer a season ending injury - you know the sun will come up tomorrow, you will persevere, and still be a contributing member of society.

The really great thing about sport is that it teaches valuable life lessons. Even within a game the lessons are taught. I've seen Jonathan make a really bone-headed play, only to return the next series and make a great play. Sometimes it works the other way - lest we get too big-headed, after the great play we sometimes make the critical mistake. But through it all you NEVER give up!

Yes, I like this coaching staff. I look forward to Jonathan's little brothers, Caleb and Sam, playing for them. Every Friday night, I'm sitting about halfway up on the north 40-45 yardline if you want to talk about it.

Lynn Mitchell

God bless you and your family sir!

As for Greasedlightnin, one word: clarinet!

Lynn Mitchell

Excellent post Mr. Mitchell , you've summed up very well what sports is really all about . I'm truly sorry for all of the sorrow that your family has had to endure , and good luck to you and all of your family .

Greased Lightning, after reading your post I have come to several conclusions about you.

1-You are deffinetly a woman and you know nothing about football. Sure you may know why there are wight lines on the field, men in stripes with yellow hankies, that a touchdown is worth 6 points and other little rules of the game. But what I am sure you are not aware of that coaches sometimes call plays in order to set up other plays and sometimes they have to call them more than once. Sometimes they have to get emotional in order to get the players attention.

2-You have probably worked really hard in the boosters club and you feel that your hard work has not led to the playing time for your son that you expected. However, most coaches play the 11 best players regardless of whether their mommies help or even show up at games or practice. Just because a child does not have a supportinve mommy does not mean that the child should not be able to be on the team or get any playing time. I am sure that if your sone was one of the best 11 he would be on the field.

3-You think you have it all figured out...if the team plays bad and loses it is 100% the coaches fault but if the team plays well and wins it is 100% the kids overcoming the bad coaching and winning on their own. The last time I checked the coaches did not score any touchdowns or miss tackles, blocks or assignments and the players did not call any of the plays or make any forth down decisions or overtime decisions.

The point is that when a play does not work that it is the coaches that called the play and the players that executed it but when the play works...oh wait it is still the coaches that called the play and the players that executed it. It sounds to me like SD played very badly against Powell and then bounced back and played very well agoainst Central. The loss to Powell should fall on the shoulders of the coaches and the players as well as the win should ride on the wings of the coaches and players as well.

If you are so upset at your hard work not paying off for your son, have him play another sport (like track) where it is all about him (no relays though) or move him to another school. Please do not send him to Carter though the last thing we need is a mommy like you trying to destroy what our coaches and players have been working so hard to accomplish.

P.S. I am very proud of you for getting a degree but a degree alone does not make you intelligent in everything. Please use your time to instruct your son that in the real world he will not always get his way and he will not always get along and agree 100% with his boss and his bosses way of doing things. But his choices are to either find another job or doeal with and do his best. Remind him that it is not ok to badmouth his boss behind his bosses back because it may cause problems within the company. I hope your degree will help you to see the analogy in this lesson and will help you to understand what the phrase "team first" means.

Thank you, thank you ,thank you Mr. Mitchell. It is people like you with a positive attitude that keep sports programs going, and good coaches coaching. I hope that the SD coaches see this post becasue if they do, they will be reminded why they do what they do. Like GreasedLightning said, "Even a wounded dog will lick his wounds," and last week the coaches were probably wounded. It is hard to keep on keeping on when people are bashing you, your family, and your integrity.

Mr. Mitchell, I think very highly of you and your children. I am sure that there are many parents who can say that they would love for thier children to be just like yours. I admire your positive attitude and your incredible FAITH for the Lord.

Lynn Mitchell

Thank-you Mr. Mitchell you sound like a great father and a great fan. As a old coach of 38 years on the high school level parents like you and kids like yours is what keeps us going. For your son may God look down on him an put his loving arms around him and love him as only He can. Keep up the good work and stand up for your coaches and your school. I'm sure coach Hut will do a great job if people like you continuel to work with him.

Actually you are incorrect....reading between the lines hasn't worked here! Just a concerned and very happy member of the SDHS community, and by the way I do have a degree and no.....wouldn't coach for a million dollars. Just hope the ones that do are doing it for the right reason with the right heart attitude! GO KEES! I'm done here!

I hope you are done! If you had been one of my parent you would have been done a long time ago because I would have told you to go home and take your son with you. Teams do not need this type of talk around them.

You said you would not coach for a million dollars will we do it for alot less and we would do for nothing because we care for all kids and the game.

oldcoachg,

You would send a kid home and not let hiim play football because his parent(s) are complete idiots. I disagree with you if that is your opinion. Don't blame the kid, blame there dumbazz parents!

Yes I would because this kid is hearing all of this from home and bring this into the team. It is better for the team to take care of it and get rid of it. I seen this kind of think destory to many team.

Lynn Mitchell

Great post. Sorry about your wife.

Halls is a very beatable team! The game last night they had with Powell was a very boring game with no offense! If we can stop their running back then we have a decent shot at this one, but lets not look to far ahead we still have a winnable game coming up! Great game last night guys way to play the whole game and not give up.

As a Powell fan, I agree 100%. Even though Halls clearly won the game Friday against Powell, they are very beatable, as are all of the teams in region 3-4A, aside from Maryville. Halls is a very Jekyll and Hyde team, and that wing-T offense is very vanilla, particularly when they are playing a well-disciplined defense.

It be hard for my son to get many more chances he has given 4 years of dedicaton to his team, he knows hes not the best would just lik eto get on the field there is always next week, or the next. He is a pretty good cheerleader from the sidelines and ill ask him about clarinet! am glad to be a prt of the "Doyle" community and wouldnt trade it for another

Good Luck