Who is going to win District 14A?

westtnbball2

I'm with you all the way. I think Gleason will be consistent enough to finish second. I do not know what's going on with Lake County very inconsistent and seems like no improvement from last year. I think Bradford is to big inside for anyone in the district beside Perry from Trenton. Back to the old days when Gleason and Bradford dominated the districts and the region.

Lake Co does need an inside presence but they play great defense that should keep them in most games...Lake Co won't shoot 1-21 from 3 point range as they did against Gleason too often..Even with that..were still in the game..It's probably going to take Ross a couple more weeks to get her mobility back from knee surgery..Probably increase her minutes game by game..Lake Co will be okay..May suffer a couple early season losses but I believe will pick things up closer to Christmas!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Trenton and Humboldt tonight...It turned out to be a heck of a game...Humboldt IS a better team this year but won't be good enough to make it to Regionals....I don't know if Trenton is good enough to make it to regionals as well...Perry is good but you've got to have a little bit of help from the rest of the team

I'm with you all the way. I think Gleason will be consistent enough to finish second. I do not know what's going on with Lake County very inconsistent and seems like no improvement from last year. I think Bradford is to big inside for anyone in the district beside Perry from Trenton. Back to the old days when Gleason and Bradford dominated the districts and the region.

I didn't make the Lake Co-South Fulton game last night but a frien called and said we were terrible...Said South Fulton won by about 10 points but were leading by a lot more at one time...I guess you're right..No improvement from last year...I guess I'm going with Bradford and then who knows..Lake Co may finish somewhere around 6th to 10th place unless they get the ship up-righted...Congrats to South Fulton girls on the win!

Maybe the middle school girls need to come on up a year early !

Just because they didn't play UC, Lake Co and SF doesn't make their schedule weak. There are good teams outside of Obion. Yes, they may be awesome but they aren't the only ones.

The reason they have never won a TNT is because the eight graders move up and play high school JV ball after christmas so instead of playing the always strong TNT tournament (sense any sarcasm with that statement?) they are play against freshman and sophomores.

Weakley Co. Jr high teams are not weak outside of Sharon (who I have not seen but have heard about). Martin is a good team with probably the best 8th grader around in Swaim and another good player in Campbell. Dresden doesn't have the super star but plays well as a team and has a decent player in Alex Glisson. GField has Rawls who is great floor leader, Hatcher who is tough in the post and offensive rebounds as good as anybody and Mosley who is one of the best 7th grader in the area. I have only seen Gleason twice and that was in the summer. They are down for sure but Coach Frazier isn't worried about winning at that level and they weren't allowed to dribble etc. the times I saw them.

Yes stuff changes when you go from Jr High to High school but it is pretty good indicator. And I am with ptguard on that Galey and the rest of the guards are only going to improve.

Ptguard is hands down more reputable than you when it comes to girls bball and anyone else for that matter. He may not be 100% correct everytime but if had to put my money on someone, I would go with him.

I don't know that there are 8 teams better in 14A than GField. I would say 5 maybe 6 but they aren't 9th out of 10.

And I guess you are going to practices? Ptguard has seen more games across the state than you will in this area.

Sorry Mr. Vaughn but the best 8th grader in west Tn is TT Flowers daughter of Jewell Flowers. She is the same caliber of athlete as her dad with discipline. She is twice the basketball player that her aunt Demia Flowers was. Swain and co. couldnt beat TT when they were without 3 starters much less stay on the floor with LCMS starters. On that same team as TT is a 7th grader that is the best 7th grader in west tn. The future looks bright for LC. And yes weakley co basketball for girls is not weak but it is not near as strong as the schedule LCMS pplays year in and year out.

Sorry Mr. Vaughn but the best 8th grader in west Tn is TT Flowers daughter of Jewell Flowers. She is the same caliber of athlete as her dad with discipline. She is twice the basketball player that her aunt Demia Flowers was. Swain and co. couldnt beat TT when they were without 3 starters much less stay on the floor with LCMS starters. On that same team as TT is a 7th grader that is the best 7th grader in west tn. The future looks bright for LC. And yes weakley co basketball for girls is not weak but it is not near as strong as the schedule LCMS pplays year in and year out.

Sorry Mr sbl0702 but I am not up on my Lake County basketball history so the names Jewell and Demia Flowers don't mean that much to me. Can't remember any that I played against either. I am sure they were great players though.

Didn't say that "Swaim and Co." were as good as Lake Co., only said that Swaim was a good individual player and also said probably the best which means that there could be someone else. I hadn't seen Flowers play, she may be All World, I don't know. I guess a better statement for me is that Swaim is probably the best I have seen. Again with the Mosley girl from Greenfield, I said one of the best, not THE best. So read a little deeper next time. Good to hear yall have so much talent though.

Also where can I find this tough schedule? I looked on the website and didn't see anything. I may want to catch a game since I am missing all this talent.

I got to watch the Lake County 8th graders in an AAU or YBOA tournament this summer and they are a talented team. They are probably the best Jr. High team this year around our area. They will play and help the High School team next year as freshmen. Lake County will only get better over the next 4 years.

Yes, lc jr. high girls are good but have they played anyone yet is the question and as far as the school preseason first gone to worst, the predictions are so wrong I still go with Bradford and Gleason.

Sorry Mr sbl0702 but I am not up on my Lake County basketball history so the names Jewell and Demia Flowers don't mean that much to me. Can't remember any that I played against either. I am sure they were great players though.

Didn't say that "Swaim and Co." were as good as Lake Co., only said that Swaim was a good individual player and also said probably the best which means that there could be someone else. I hadn't seen Flowers play, she may be All World, I don't know. I guess a better statement for me is that Swaim is probably the best I have seen. Again with the Mosley girl from Greenfield, I said one of the best, not THE best. So read a little deeper next time. Good to hear yall have so much talent though.

Also where can I find this tough schedule? I looked on the website and didn't see anything. I may want to catch a game since I am missing all this talent.

No reason to be "cute" just dropping some info. for you. Jewell was the Mr.Football runner up for Lake Co about 10 to 15 years ago. He had 5200 yards in two years as the starter. Was the tailback the last time we went to state and got beat by south pitt. His sister Demia was the point guard for the lady falcons about 10 years ago when LC upset Gleason in the semis of the regionals sending them home instead of to the state tourney which they were favored to win. The schedule is tough year in and year out seeing that LCMS is a member of TMSAA and plays in the West Tn athletic conference that is made up of schools usually much larger than LC. We go through a conference tourney, an area tourney and West tn sectional Championships every year. This team played for the championship last year with mostly 7th and one 6th grader starting. They only lost 4 games last year. 3 to Dyersburg Middle School and one to the west tn champions. This is not a TNT tornament were they invited you, you must win or be runner up to get there. Much like regionals in HS. I guess the best thing to do would be to play gleason, greenfield, and Martin in a christmas tourney or preseason tourney IF they would come and play. I havent seen the mosely girl but have seen swain. She is one of the top players, as is TT. So far this year only one team has played LC within twenty and that was dyersburg. Lake Road did cut the thirty point deficit under twenty against the 6th graders but that was a blowout in which the starters played none in the fourth. Anyway, will be interesting to see how these girls pan out in HS. You never know what could happed between now and then. Until then its up to the "PROGNOSTICATORS"

sbl

I got to watch the Lake County 8th graders in an AAU or YBOA tournament this summer and they are a talented team. They are probably the best Jr. High team this year around our area. They will play and help the High School team next year as freshmen. Lake County will only get better over the next 4 years.

Thanks for the bump GF! They are a hard working and disciplined bunch of young ladies from what I hear. Hopefully they will continue to do the same as they move to HS.

sbl

I really thought this was a thread about 14A not about Martin Middle, Greenfield or Lake County Junior High. I really probably shouldn't say this, BUT here goes... The only programs that really care about junior high games, schedules, records and/or feel the need to talk about them on a high school website are programs that have never won anything at the high school level.

Lol, boy you really figured me out. Gleason dominated the county for many many years, Gleason has won more county championships in the last 20 years than all the other schools in the county combined. The reason I don't want to talk about junior high is because this is a high school website and I really could care less to read about how everybody elses 11 year old kids are playing. You might want to hold out on making those proclamations of being the team to beat in the future just yet. I have seen several really dominant junior high teams in the area, (Dresden junior high with Bailey, Levister, and Quinton come to mind), that beat Gleason girls 30-40 points in junior high but not win anything by the time they are done. Really, what do you consider the future anyways? The next three years I can promise you that Greenfield will get all they want everytime they play Gleason. After that, who knows. Like I said previously, many good junior high teams don't pan out...girls quitting, stop working hard, transferring, poor coaching, other people catching them physically, etc. Way too many variables to equate success from 10-12 and then to 16-18.

Still on the topic of Jr High basketball..Jr. Pioneers (Yorkville, Spring Hill) are now 3-0 with wins over Medina, Black Oak, and JCS...Medina was their closest game and it was about a 9 point difference I think...They beat Black Oak and JCS by 20+

Our third group beats black oak by twenty. Are you serious! Listing black oak as a win by twenty doesn't prove anything. The best team in obion co (Lake Road)was down by thirty to LCMS until coach putin the 6th graders. Lake Road beat Black Oak by twenty. For all purposes LCMS would have beat Lake Road by 40 but the coach didnt want to. A jr. pioneer vs LCMS would fesult in severe disappointment to you. Again ask Coach McMillian or Coach Russell about LCMS girls.

sbl