Who is going to win District 14A?

westtnbball2

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradford 79

Greenfield 57

Bradford has a very good team. I have been saying all along that Lake County is the team to beat but if Bradford plays like they did last night it will be hard for Lake County or anybody to beat Bradford. I was impressed. They are big inside and can shoot the 3 point shot as well. Greenfield played about as well as we are capable at this point in the season with our young team and no experience. It was an eleven point game with 5 minutes remaining but Danielle Proudfit hit 6 3's late in the game to seal the game. Erica Oliver had Bradfords first 12 points inside and Greenfield was forced to help on the inside which left the 3 point shot open. Bradford dominated the boards with their size. Bradford has depth in the post with size which creates a bad matchup for Greenfield.

As for Greenfield, I have never said that a team played well after a 20 point loss but I saw alot of positives in the game tonight.

1. 50 of our total 57 points were scored by Freshmen or Sophmores.

2. Greenfield shot 26 out of 27 from the free throw line.

3. Freshman Jordan Galey is Greenfields post player. She had 18 points.

4. Bradford puts alot of pressure on defense in their press. Our young guards had some turnovers but handled the press pretty well for their first start in a high school game. Our guards had 22 points tonight also.

Girls, keep working hard and dont get your heads down. We got beat by a good team. If we score 57 points in our games we will win alot of games this year.

Greenfield..I saw Bradford at Martin a week or two ago..They have a fine team..Couple of big girls that move very well...Lake Co lost to Gleason last night but I thought that might happen as I said in this post that I wouldn't be surprised..Lake Co has an excellent defense as you can see by the low score..Gleason dictated the way the game went with their patient offense and playeing great defense the way Gleason teams usually do...Lake Co was only about 1-17 from 3 point range..Can't believe they'll shoot that poorly in too many games..Once Kinney and Ross get back to game shape..Lake Co will be okay..Even then..the district has some pretty good teams and I expect to see some losses...Lake Co..Bradford..South Fulton..Humboldt..I expece these teams as well as the others to suffer some losses....But anyway..looks like yall have some excellent free throw shooters.Should be a lot of great games in the coming years also..Lake Co middle school is still undefeated..beat Three Oaks about 60-12 ..Has beaten every team by around 40 points while playing subs..Dyersburg is the only team that has come closer than 40 points..Lake Co beat Dyersburg by 16 points...

If Bradford is the best team in 14A this year (and they appeared to be last night), Greenfield will be fine. They let the game get away from them a little at the end, but for the most part, gave Bradford a good game. The size and strength difference was noticable, but is to be expected with such a young team. Greenfield had a tough time rebounding and had the ball ripped away a few times.

I thought the guards did very well against a tough press. Sure, they turned it over some, but also exploited it some for easy buckets from time to time. Free throw shooting (as Greenfieldfan mentioned) was exceptional. There is a lot of potential with the freshmen and sophomores.

I'd say Greenfield will be very competitive this year, and by the end will have beaten some teams that they weren't necessarily "supposed to" beat this year.

vol007,again you show little knowledge of facts or sports.You have less knowledge of basketball than football.

Now the real meat of the matter,the undefeated teams,you talk about really have very little bearing on what happens in high school. The Greenfield Junoir High teams played a "very very weak" schedule.Greenfield Junior

did "not" play Lake County,South Fulton or Union City junior highs or middle schools.The tournament they play in is made up of very weak teams in the county.

Please gather more info and facts.Fact,Humboldt,Halls and Greenfield have alot of work to do.

Fact,Lake County,Bradford,Trenton,Dresden and Gleason are the teams to beat.South Fulton needs watching.

More goes into putting athletic teams together than playing a weak junior high schedule and going undefeated playing nobody.

I'm sorry but your Greenfield girls are weaker than you think and are at least one year if not 2 years away from being a good basketball team.Also you might want find the them some more size and rebounding for the future.I have been told the junior high is not that big and their style doesn't develop good high school players.I saw some of the team in some games this summer and they have a lot of work to do to be good high school players.I saw your present sophmore and freshmen players in junior high,hope they have improved because the things they did in junior high won't win in high school.

An earlier post had you at 9th in one of the toughest disricts in the state.They were right.

shadow,

I really dont know why you think you know so much and have the right to correct everybody. You act like you are an authority on every subject and you need to get your facts right. volfan is a good poster on Coach T and always talks positive about his team or any team that he talks about so leave him alone. I looked back through your posts and you have corrected someone on every post you made. I try and stay positive on all my posts so I will try again this time. You have told several negative untruths about our program and I have wrestled with myself whether I need to respond or just forget about it. I have got to give credit where credit is due.

Now as for the Greenfield Jr. High program it sounds like you are a bit jealous. Coach Tori Liggett with the help of her husband, John have built a program at Greenfield from scratch. 0-14 the first year and since then a 45 game winning streak through the next 3 years. The Greenfield team this year is 10-1 and well on their way to another good season and a good chance at another County Championship. What Coach Tori has done and is doing in Greenfield is nothing short of amazing. To give you an example of her hard work and dedication the other night at halftime of the High School game Tori had 46 3rd and 4th grade girls put on a dribbling and ball handling show. It was impressive. What I'm saying is Greenfield girls basketball is exciting and every little girl wants to play for Coach Tori. Together John and Tori have put Greenfield Girls Basketball back on the map.

As for Greenfield having a weak schedule and not playing anybody. Ptguard12 (who is the most respected poster on Coach T and knows girl basketball better than anybody) rated Greenfield the #2 team in the state in 2005 in Jr. High Girls Basketball. That year we went 17-0 and beat an undefeated Milan team, Gleason three times who had a great team that won the State Tournament last year with 2 freshmen players who started, Dresden that was also rated in the state and some other good teams. Please dont make accusations that you cant back up. Also dont tell me that Greenfield Jr. High players dont make good High School players either because that is yet to be seen since they are Sophmores this year.

And on your last comment that Greenfield will be 9th in the district, you may be right but I wouldnt bet the house on it.

You might be wrong on that as well.

Not that I am a Humboldt fan, but I see most of the folks on here are not giving Humboldt a lot of credit mainly because of how they played last year. Folks I am letting you know Humboldt is much improved. Not a state tourney team, but much improved. They will give everyone fits in this district.

Guest theshadow

shadow,

I really dont know why you think you know so much and have the right to correct everybody. You act like you are an authority on every subject and you need to get your facts right. volfan is a good poster on Coach T and always talks positive about his team or any team that he talks about so leave him alone. I looked back through your posts and you have corrected someone on every post you made. I try and stay positive on all my posts so I will try again this time. You have told several negative untruths about our program and I have wrestled with myself whether I need to respond or just forget about it. I have got to give credit where credit is due.

Now as for the Greenfield Jr. High program it sounds like you are a bit jealous. Coach Tori Liggett with the help of her husband, John have built a program at Greenfield from scratch. 0-14 the first year and since then a 45 game winning streak through the next 3 years. The Greenfield team this year is 10-1 and well on their way to another good season and a good chance at another County Championship. What Coach Tori has done and is doing in Greenfield is nothing short of amazing. To give you an example of her hard work and dedication the other night at halftime of the High School game Tori had 46 3rd and 4th grade girls put on a dribbling and ball handling show. It was impressive. What I'm saying is Greenfield girls basketball is exciting and every little girl wants to play for Coach Tori. Together John and Tori have put Greenfield Girls Basketball back on the map.

As for Greenfield having a weak schedule and not playing anybody. Ptguard12 (who is the most respected poster on Coach T and knows girl basketball better than anybody) rated Greenfield the #2 team in the state in 2005 in Jr. High Girls Basketball. That year we went 17-0 and beat an undefeated Milan team, Gleason three times who had a great team that won the State Tournament last year with 2 freshmen players who started, Dresden that was also rated in the state and some other good teams. Please dont make accusations that you cant back up. Also dont tell me that Greenfield Jr. High players dont make good High School players either because that is yet to be seen since they are Sophmores this year.

And on your last comment that Greenfield will be 9th in the district, you may be right but I wouldnt bet the house on it.

This is a fact you don't play Lake County, Union City and South Fulton in junior high games. Also you've never won a TNT state championship. Weakley County junior high teams are weak and have been for several years. The junior high team that did not win a game was playing against weak competition. Being good in junior high does not mean you are going to be good in high school- people get hurt, other teams improve, people move , and people stay the same and do not improve.

The two Gleason sophomores this year that started on the state championship team last year were playing with Kayla Hudson and the other senior that started.

There are 8 teams that are better in district 14-A.

Ptguard12 and volfan007 are not at any teams practices in this area so they do not know what is happening. Also ptguard12 does not live in Weakley County.

What makes you, ptguard12 and volfan007 basketball guru's?

This is a fact you don't play Lake County, Union City and South Fulton in junior high games. Also you've never won a TNT state championship. Weakley County junior high teams are weak and have been for several years. The junior high team that did not win a game was playing against weak competition. Being good in junior high does not mean you are going to be good in high school- people get hurt, other teams improve, people move , and people stay the same and do not improve.

The two Gleason sophomores this year that started on the state championship team last year were playing with Kayla Hudson and the other senior that started.

Ptguard12 and volfan007 are not at any teams practices in this area so they do not know what is happening. Also ptguard12 does not live in Weakley County.

I'm not going to get in the middle of this but as for the comment about Greenfield's middle school team two years ago. I saw middle schools from all over the state that year including many from up in that area including Greenfield's, Gleason's, Bradford's, Clarksburg's, McKenzie's, Union City's, USJ's, TCA's, ect. I was at the James C. Haile State Tournament, the TNT State Tournament, and some of the TMSAA Sectional Tournaments. Of all the middle schools that fed Class A High Schools that I witnessed, Greenfield's bunch that year, I felt was the second best in the state, behind only that of Red Boiling Springs I believe, who was welcoming in some great guards and a player that had already played high school varsity games as an eighth grader that you may have heard of by the name of Laken Leonard. Had Greenfield attended the TNT State Tournament, they would have won any classification except 5A--that includes the 4A classification in which Greenfield was better then both of the Championship Game participants, Forrest and USJ. They were a very good middle school team that year. However, as you pointed out, middle school success does not always lead to high school success. And while Greenfield may or may not be a real contender this year in District 14A, they will be next year and the year after that. Galey and those surplus of guards are too solid fundamentally and talented not to make some noise before they leave high school.

Not that I am a Humboldt fan, but I see most of the folks on here are not giving Humboldt a lot of credit mainly because of how they played last year. Folks I am letting you know Humboldt is much improved. Not a state tourney team, but much improved. They will give everyone fits in this district.

I agree with you..Humboldt is much improved and has a greta chance of beating Lake Co.,Bradford,Gleaso,Greenfield..etc

shadow,

I was pretty impressed with the young Greenfield team I saw two nights ago against U.S.J..As a matter of fact..I was looking at the Grenfield team and comparing them to this years undefeated Lake Co. team.Lake Co looks to be quicker..press all over the floor..but Jordan Gailey and the other girl down low are stronger and would give Lake Co trouble under the goal..The Greenfield guards ,I believe #10 and #11 looks to shoot the ball well..Lake Co has a couple that can shoot the ball as well...Of couse Lake Co has a couple of the players that are at the high school now getting a lot of playing time...not starting like Gailey and the other girls because Lake Co has 4 starters back..But based on what I saw..Greenfield has excellent young players and Gailey will get stronger under the basket...My son has played all-star baseball against her for years..she was the Greenfield catcher, then as she got older went to basketball and softball..She is an athlete....Should be some great games the next several years between Lake Co and Greenfield....By the way..Lake Co plays Lake Road girls tonight at Ridgely...Lake Road beat Dyersburg by 5 points earlier in the season and Lake Co beat Dyersburg by 16..The Lake Road girls along with the rematch with Dyersburg will be probably the best chance for anyone to beat Lake Co in the regular season

Just got back from the Lake Co-Lake Road game..Lake Co had about a 25 point lead and started subbing..Lake Co won by 19..Lake Co had one stater out,the Melendez girl,as Coach Newsome benched her ..or so I was told for missing a practice during Thanksgiving..I thought he would have played her toward the end...But anyway..Lake Road has a pretty good team...Just too much Lake Co speed and too much T.T,Flowers!

Bradford will take it...Great guards and good solid posts!

I'm with you all the way. I think Gleason will be consistent enough to finish second. I do not know what's going on with Lake County very inconsistent and seems like no improvement from last year. I think Bradford is to big inside for anyone in the district beside Perry from Trenton. Back to the old days when Gleason and Bradford dominated the districts and the region.

Just because they didn't play UC, Lake Co and SF doesn't make their schedule weak. There are good teams outside of Obion. Yes, they may be awesome but they aren't the only ones.

The reason they have never won a TNT is because the eight graders move up and play high school JV ball after christmas so instead of playing the always strong TNT tournament (sense any sarcasm with that statement?) they are play against freshman and sophomores.

Weakley Co. Jr high teams are not weak outside of Sharon (who I have not seen but have heard about). Martin is a good team with probably the best 8th grader around in Swaim and another good player in Campbell. Dresden doesn't have the super star but plays well as a team and has a decent player in Alex Glisson. GField has Rawls who is great floor leader, Hatcher who is tough in the post and offensive rebounds as good as anybody and Mosley who is one of the best 7th grader in the area. I have only seen Gleason twice and that was in the summer. They are down for sure but Coach Frazier isn't worried about winning at that level and they weren't allowed to dribble etc. the times I saw them.

Yes stuff changes when you go from Jr High to High school but it is pretty good indicator. And I am with ptguard on that Galey and the rest of the guards are only going to improve.

Ptguard is hands down more reputable than you when it comes to girls bball and anyone else for that matter. He may not be 100% correct everytime but if had to put my money on someone, I would go with him.

I don't know that there are 8 teams better in 14A than GField. I would say 5 maybe 6 but they aren't 9th out of 10.

And I guess you are going to practices? Ptguard has seen more games across the state than you will in this area.