Lenoir City at Maryville

jacketsfan66

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stars, you understand more than most of us on here: Maybee hit has two do with me knot havin' my rebel flag to waive when Mairvul beets somebody and thay haiv to find sumthun else to complane about??????

... but I think you misspelled "flaig."

Diver thanks fer catchin' that 'un. Eye allso thank you mite haiv misspelt "misspelt."

Well, on this etcoach you've touched on a subject near and dear to my conservative heart. Perhaps the problem lies in our culture's nearly religious adherence to the principle of egalitarianism, which doesn't fit at all when it comes to sports, unless you don't keep score. Egalitarianism seeks to guarantee equality of outcomes, rather than equality of opportunity. Can't be no equality of outcome when you keep score. So too in life, where some folks succeed at different levels based on a variety of factors, including intelligence, drive, ambition, athletic ability, and on and on.

The debate of "athletic correctness" has nothing to do with the idea of egalitarianism. Debates such as different divisions, multipliers, and perceived unfairness are examples of egalitariamism. This is entirely different.

I've been on/coached really good teams, and I've been on/coached really bad teams. I know when it is good, and I know when it is bad. I also know there is nothing I hate more than a "sore winner" who does everything they can to remind everyone how good they are when they win and cries when they lose (Exhibit A - New England Patriots). Being gracious in victory is much more appealing to me because there is more to life than winning.

And trust me, there are few on this board who hate losing and are more conservative than me.

The debate of "athletic correctness" has nothing to do with the idea of egalitarianism.

I agree with you as far as that goes as applied to Holtzian poor-mouthing. And I appreciate graciousness in victory -- indeed, the "look at me" attitude amongst certain athletes these days really gets my goat. But you're right, decency in the form of humility is not the same as egalitarianism or its effects.

Admittedly, I just never want to miss an opportunity to attack the stupidity, irrationality and harmful effects of egalitarianism, so I couldn't resist.