CBHS vs Ensworth

wavelax1

It really doesn't matter how large a class is. I don't see how that has any bearing on anything, to an extent. Its the work and preparation players and coaches put and how well they can succeed in being the best within a 48 min time frame. (I would have said for 48minutes but we all know that isnt true.) I mean look at CBHS as a prime example. The 2006 senior class was 185; all boys. Of that 185 26 were football players. Of that 26 only 12-15 were major contributors. So I mean its not what the school has its what the team has. Now if you pull up arguments the team has only 40 players, and blah blah then we have somewhat of a legitimate argument. Otherwise those figures don't have any bearing on the game.

And just based on word I'm hearing out of East TN, because thats where I'm located now, those who have played them say there are a good bunch. Just wish I could make it back in time to see them play.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't matter how large a class is. I don't see how that has any bearing on anything, to an extent. Its the work and preparation players and coaches put and how well they can succeed in being the best within a 48 min time frame. (I would have said for 48minutes but we all know that isnt true.) I mean look at CBHS as a prime example. The 2006 senior class was 185; all boys. Of that 185 26 were football players. Of that 26 only 12-15 were major contributors. So I mean its not what the school has its what the team has. Now if you pull up arguments the team has only 40 players, and blah blah then we have somewhat of a legitimate argument. Otherwise those figures don't have any bearing on the game.

And just based on word I'm hearing out of East TN, because thats where I'm located now, those who have played them say there are a good bunch. Just wish I could make it back in time to see them play.

Let's use your numbers, and extrapolate them for 4 classes. That's generous, because generally freshmen and most sophomores make limited contributions to a team. Only 14% of the boys in the class played football. If Ensworth has 120 students per grade, and half of them are male, and only 14% play football, then roughly 9 students from each class play football, and you have less than 40 players. Ensworth has more players than that, but again, using your numbers, if 15 of that 185 is really a contributor, then each Ensworth class will have about 5 contributors, for maybe 20 in the entire high school, and most of the frosh and sophs aren't real contributors. That's a depth problem: they're short on bodies.

Over 48 minutes, it's probably not an issue: Ricky Bowers will field a well-conditioned team. Over 10 weeks, as a team picks up a few significant injuries and lots of nagging little ones, it becomes a major problem. They will have problems resting players who are technically available, but really need a game off, or at least limited playing time.

Ensworth will win games, and championships. But there will probably be years where they look like state champions at the end of Septemeber, but are out of it in early Novemeber becuase of a couple of injuries.

I'm too lazy to go back and find the CB post (one individual not all) that was ready to start the pary after the BA game. Bet you have a real hangover now. Please learn from your mistakes, take the high road and don't talk so much trash! Good luck next year, maybe you will get another shot at EHS.

For the CB fans that did not agree w/ his (or her) post, sorry I just had to do it! For the CB fan that called the individual out, thanks. Every team has a fan or two that make everyone look bad.

CBHS is a good team. #7 (Eric Johnson) is the real deal. It simply came down to who wanted it more in the end - and that was Ensworth. You can take the size of the enrollment out, the coaches out, and all that stuff - it was about who dug a little deeper in their guts. It was a great game. EHS did a great job of keeping CBHS' offense off the field. That started with the first quarter drive that consumed 8 minutes. EHS didn't do anything tricky, but, rather, they just ran the ball downhill. It can be argued that CBHS had the better athletes, and that is probably true. Like I said, #7 is a stud. However, when it came down to the 4th quarter, Ensworth wanted it more. Plain and simple.

Now, EHS is going to have to dig even deeper to win next Friday.

CBHS is a good team. #7 (Eric Johnson) is the real deal. It simply came down to who wanted it more in the end - and that was Ensworth. You can take the size of the enrollment out, the coaches out, and all that stuff - it was about who dug a little deeper in their guts. It was a great game. EHS did a great job of keeping CBHS' offense off the field. That started with the first quarter drive that consumed 8 minutes. EHS didn't do anything tricky, but, rather, they just ran the ball downhill. It can be argued that CBHS had the better athletes, and that is probably true. Like I said, #7 is a stud. However, when it came down to the 4th quarter, Ensworth wanted it more. Plain and simple.

Now, EHS is going to have to dig even deeper to win next Friday.

#7's name is actual Eric Watson. Just thought I'd correct that for the record. He is the real deal and he's only a sophomore, he's got like 2100 yards and 25 tds in 2 years. Thats kind of unheard of at CBHS b/c i think only like 3 or 4 freshman have ever started and contributed that strongly in the history of the school and as a sophomore he hasn't done as well as his freshman year but has still had a solid year.

I apologize - that is correct. I was confusing the last names of Eric and Michael. The QB for CBHS is Michael "Johnson" - correct? The QB, by the way, has some pretty good quicks himself. Nonetheless, whether Eric's last name is Jones, Smith, or Watson, he is doggone good. It sounds like his stats are similar to Ensworth's Orleans Opoku-Darkwa, who has 2100 yards rushing and 20 TDs through his freshmen and sophomore years - although his freshmen year stats came against much smaller schools than did E. Watson's. It will be exciting to watch both of these runners through the next two years.

Well, keep Watson healthy and hungry - for he has a privileged opportunity to do some great things. God has blessed him.

I apologize - that is correct. I was confusing the last names of Eric and Michael. The QB for CBHS is Michael "Johnson" - correct? The QB, by the way, has some pretty good quicks himself. Nonetheless, whether Eric's last name is Jones, Smith, or Watson, he is doggone good. It sounds like his stats are similar to Ensworth's Orleans Opoku-Darkwa, who has 2100 yards rushing and 20 TDs through his freshmen and sophomore years - although his freshmen year stats came against much smaller schools than did E. Watson's. It will be exciting to watch both of these runners through the next two years.

Well, keep Watson healthy and hungry - for he has a privileged opportunity to do some great things. God has blessed him.

The QB's name is Michael Blanchard and you should see him play baseball, its a fun sight watching him run the bases.

What kind of speed does he have (40 time)??

I could lie to you and tell you some 4.3 or 4.2 bull crap but I honestly don't know. I could find out a 60 time probably but I would imagine his 40 is among the fastest in the city and probably up there in the two 5 or 10 in the state if I had to guess. All I know for certain is he can flat out run.

CBHS must attract more skilled players from Memphis inner-city middle schools or transfers from the inner-city high schools. They need more talent at the receiver (and TE), LB/DE, and the QB position, to take that next step in the next couple of years. The passing game is the biggest problem at CBHS. I am more than sure that this is being addressed.

Congratulations to Ensworth. I say some of the highlights and things (go to commercialappeal.com and go to the sports sections, the game was the game of the week and they did a little segment on it....another crazy omen that I'll explain in a sec.) The running back from Ensworth looked good. I'm not going to hail CBHS defense as #1 in the state as the stats may have shown but from what I saw the way he got those yards was sheer talent and detemination. Hopefully they can do the same and take down BA.

But the little side note I had is that in the past 5yrs CBHS is 0-3 the week after recieving the Team of the Week from Fox 13, and now 0-2 when the Commercial Appeal's Game of the Week. Just a little crazy info.