Question for the Oakland folks...

Football Man

sorry...we are retaining 3 possibly 4....I haven't heard the final on coach moose..that will make 4. Trust me.....there wasn't a whole lotta smooth in that locker room to begin with!!!!!!! Loyal or not they NEVER got results....and loved that staff but as a whole as a coaching "team" they couldn't put it together. thats all I'm saying. I don't care where any of these guys come from.

BTW I think there were already some riverdale guys on you beloved Oakland staff before the change

Well apparently McDaniels does. If he is all about getting the best coaches, then why not do so? By his current hires he believes the best all reside in Riverdale when we know thats just not true. The staff never got results because the administration never game a chance. Yet when McDaniel is hired, he is given things that the previous staff got shot down on time and time again, so something stinks in this whole situation that we probably will never know. If the previous staff was given some of the things that McDaniel is going to get or promised, there would have been no need for a new staff, the old one would have sufficed. There's no law in football that says you have to show emotion all the time to be successful. Marty and his staff rarely showed any yet they won 50 games in 6 years.

I love Oakland as much as anyone and I want McDaniel to be succesful, but Ive learned from past years to be a cautious optimistic. People are going to get testy when there is a change, but thats the way it is everywhere, goes double when a guy as popular as ferg leaves for as long as he had been with Oakland, there is not a coach that coaches at Oakland that loves it more than Lebron Ferguson did. I am all about winning games, but I dont think we need to toss ethics by the wayside in order to be successful.

You like to talk results, but McDaniels had one winning season at a program that hasnt one in awhile, some chalk it up as a fluke, then again, maybe he is that good. I just wonder if he is gonna hit and run for high ground if he realizes that its going to take more than a season or so to turn Oakland around.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By results I mean consistant winning.....there were flashes of success i'll be the first to give credit where it is due...but I due feel that the coaches and the players were a little....how do I put this...handcuffed... the players could play with emotion the coaches didn't show alot of emotion...change had to happen....I believe moose was part of riverdale at one time. I don't mean to offend anyone....but at the same time don't offend me with this I want it like it used to be crap!!!! I think that everything will be fine!!!! I'm the one being positive and jumping blindly on board....Isn't that what we should do??? Remain positive...stick by this school??? I am!!! I am also moving forward!!!!! you all should try it

OH YIKES....had no clue that Moose was once in cardinal and gold. When was that? I thought he was only at Lebanon.

Too much emotion from coaches causes flags and a lack of respect from other teams and fans. I have been a part of too many teams (including a championship one of my own in GA) to know that coaches need to keep their cool on the sidelines. PLayers feed off them and that is one of the reasons that our offense couldn't settle down at crucial times bc they were focused on sideline antics. Encouragement and enthusiasm is one thing ( and a GOOD thing.....like Coach Smith) but screaming insults at fans and other players is something I want NO part of. Ask Chris Gray from LaVergne how he felt and how those screams from 2 of our staff encouraged his play. It was discussed on this very forum. He lost all respect for us as did others players that played for Lavergne.

Look at Tony Dungy.......he doesn't have to carry on to get respect or results.

You personally know Mc so that isn't blindly jumping on board. You already believed in him.

look at the president...is it time for a change? i think so, i think we all could agree he hasnt produced many positive results in his time and he has more in the L column than the W column.

of course that would be easy for us all to agree on because there is no personal feelings in that. you guys know ferg and staff personally so you are naturally going to be offended by his firing and more resistant to change.

i assume fergueson would probably tell you himself he's not happy with the way his tenure went. instead of coming down on the new guy (for not a reason in the world), hope for your former coach to land himself a better opportunity.

mcdaniel probably fits every need oakland has for a coach. he's comfortable with white and gardner in his staff, he knows they fit the roles he needs in his assistants to sucessfully take the program in the direction he looks to go with it. not to mention that gary rankin was awarded national coach of the year in 2004 by EA sports, you dont think that makes a statement for these guys (being a part of that staff). these are GOOD coaches.

trust me...that staff is still thinking about riverdale, but i can guarantee its only because riverdale is their season opener. what you think they are gonna throw the game? ha, they want to knock the snot out of the warriors, they are competitive guys.

put it like this, ricky field was a star athlete and graduated from oakland...what do you think ricky is, a RIVERDALE guy or an OAKLAND guy? exactly. it doesnt matter where you come from, your gonna take pride enough in yourself and your reputation that your only goal is to elevate where you stand currently.

We have already mentioned this, but I will say it again. Just b/c you were once a part of Riverdale's staff doesn't automatically make you a state champion on your own. It is hard to do w/o their athletes or Rankin. Watson, Sharsch, and Britton all proved this already. Just b/c you have a big ring as an asst doesn't always translate over.

We have a great freshman group this yr and several returning starters. The ingredients are there to succeed as long as Mc puts the right coaches in the right places and gets these kids strong and in shape. They ran out of steam at the end of the season b/c I think conditioning was slacked off.

I figure White will be in the weightroom and I already know he is good. So that is a plus for us.

Coach Ferg has been a part of my family's life for over 10 yrs. It is sort of hard to cast the man aside for someone that I do not know. He gave so many hrs to this program and to the school. He is as good of a man as it gets. He would be the first to tell me to keep supporting the program. That is the kind of man that he is.

OH YIKES....had no clue that Moose was once in cardinal and gold. When was that? I thought he was only at Lebanon.

Too much emotion from coaches causes flags and a lack of respect from other teams and fans. I have been a part of too many teams (including a championship one of my own in GA) to know that coaches need to keep their cool on the sidelines. PLayers feed off them and that is one of the reasons that our offense couldn't settle down at crucial times bc they were focused on sideline antics. Encouragement and enthusiasm is one thing ( and a GOOD thing.....like Coach Smith) but screaming insults at fans and other players is something I want NO part of. Ask Chris Gray from LaVergne how he felt and how those screams from 2 of our staff encouraged his play. It was discussed on this very forum. He lost all respect for us as did others players that played for Lavergne.

Look at Tony Dungy.......he doesn't have to carry on to get respect or results.

You personally know Mc so that isn't blindly jumping on board. You already believed in him.

tony dungy is in the minority with that and will always be the minority (you think some of his staff yells occasionally tho?)...should i name all the guys who won superbowls that are "yelling" guys? or should i only name the guys who won multiple superbowls who are "yelling" guys?

in their "previous jobs" (cause God forbid we associate them with the U of R anymore), i never once saw these guys flagged. i did see them light into some players after they were flagged for 15 yarders, but none themselves.

since i know you have alot of respect for coach collins, and since i think he can fall under the "oakland guys" category now and he meets those standards (even tho no longer a football coach)...collins yelled more than anyone on that staff. look at the defenses he helped produce. arguably one of the best this state has ever seen in 2004.

I am not talking about yelling at OUR players, tdntn. That is part of coaching. I had my son yelled at with the rest of them. No problem with that at all, but I can do without the cussing. I am talking about coaches screaming and taunting HIGH SCHOOL Players on the opposite TEAM or disrespecting the refs and fans.( we used to call it Butlering after Rick Butler/ Unfortunately, we had coaches so worked up with calls that they couldn't settle themselves down much less the players. And we paid the price for it the last 2 yrs. That kind of emotion we do NOT need in my opinion.

I am not talking about yelling at OUR players, tdntn. That is part of coaching. I had my son yelled at with the nest of them. No problem with that at all, but I can do without the cussing. I am talking about coaches screaming and taunting HIGH SCHOOL Players on the opposite TEAM or disrespecting the refs and fans. Unfortunately, we had coaches so worked up with calls that they couldn't settle themselves down much less the players. And we paid the price for it. That kind of emotion we do NOT need in my opinion.

my bad for misinterpreting what you were saying. thats DEFINATELY not what these guys are about

I am not talking about yelling at OUR players, tdntn. That is part of coaching. I had my son yelled at with the rest of them. No problem with that at all, but I can do without the cussing. I am talking about coaches screaming and taunting HIGH SCHOOL Players on the opposite TEAM or disrespecting the refs and fans.( we used to call it Butlering after Rick Butler/ Unfortunately, we had coaches so worked up with calls that they couldn't settle themselves down much less the players. And we paid the price for it the last 2 yrs. That kind of emotion we do NOT need in my opinion.

just a fyi 2-p these coaches Mc, White and Gardner will bring alot of respect discipline and in all my years at Riverdale have never heard one of these 3 coaches talk that way {cussing} to their own players or players from other teams! I know once you get to see and here what they are all about most of you great Oakland folks will like theses coaches! Best of luck to all the Patriot faithful this and all up coming years! ps change is hard I think we have all seen that at Riverdale!

Its not the fact that these guys are from Riverdale or that their not from Oakland that befuddles me. I accept that sometimes change is inevitable, although it very rarely happens for Oakland, in any sport, so I guess I as an alum take it for granted sometimes. But what does does get me upset is that the things that held the previous staff back is just given freely to the new staff, was the administration that eager to fire Ferg? If that was the case, why didnt Butch just fire him at the start and make a statement as opposed to fake pertending that he was being the good soldier and giving him time, when Ferg wasnt even getting a fair shake to begin with.

This is no indictment on McDaniel. From what Ive read and heard, he seems to be what Oakland needs. But this is what, his 3rd job in 3 yrs? What's to stop him from bolting again when he sees greener pastures or more money? It will take a few years for Oakland to be winners again, not some 1 year wonder fix, so I hope he realizes that or I fear it will be a short tenure. Regardless, the onus is now on Butch, he made this hire and he always talks about how Oakland has to win in football, so any failure on Oakland's part is on him from here on out, it doesnt have the easy cop out and having inherited the previous staff, so we shall see

Its not the fact that these guys are from Riverdale or that their not from Oakland that befuddles me. I accept that sometimes change is inevitable, although it very rarely happens for Oakland, in any sport, so I guess I as an alum take it for granted sometimes. But what does does get me upset is that the things that held the previous staff back is just given freely to the new staff, was the administration that eager to fire Ferg? If that was the case, why didnt Butch just fire him at the start and make a statement as opposed to fake pertending that he was being the good soldier and giving him time, when Ferg wasnt even getting a fair shake to begin with.

This is no indictment on McDaniel. From what Ive read and heard, he seems to be what Oakland needs. But this is what, his 3rd job in 3 yrs? What's to stop him from bolting again when he sees greener pastures or more money? It will take a few years for Oakland to be winners again, not some 1 year wonder fix, so I hope he realizes that or I fear it will be a short tenure. Regardless, the onus is now on Butch, he made this hire and he always talks about how Oakland has to win in football, so any failure on Oakland's part is on him from here on out, it doesnt have the easy cop out and having inherited the previous staff, so we shall see

Hey Oakland Patriots it will be an interesting couple of years. Hopefully success will follow, I personally have a good feeling about this but I do understand your frustration! You guys are right what is done for one should be done for everyone! Go Pats!