2nd and 3rd round of 5A?

shook27

if this isnt the game to watch then i dont know what is. the stands were packed last week at millington against collierville, and i would expect them to be even more so this friday. millington has never made it out of the second round of the playoffs. this win would motivate them more than anything else going into next fridays game vs white station/houston. i would expect white station to come out on top. but after watching college football this year, its hard to tell who is on top. look at ohio state on saturday...its possible!

I thought you were exagerrating when you said that Millington had never made it out of the second round. So I looked ... and low and behold ... you are right.

http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/fbplayoff.cfm

It also seems that this will be the 6th post-season football game between the two schools (Whitehaven and Millington). So far ... Whitehaven has a 3-2 edge in the series. Germantown is the other most faced post-season opponent for both schools. Whitehaven , on the other hand, has not made it past the 3rd round since 1982. I certainly thought that the Ahmad Galloway team advanced further ... but I was wrong.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were exagerrating when you said that Millington had never made it out of the second round. So I looked ... and low and behold ... you are right.

It also seems that this will be the 6th post-season football game between the two schools (Whitehaven and Millington). So far ... Whitehaven has a 3-2 edge in the series. Germantown is the other most faced post-season opponent for both schools. Whitehaven , on the other hand, has not made it past the 3rd round since 1982. I certainly thought that the Ahmad Galloway team advanced further ... but I was wrong.

We have had some quality football teams over the past years and especially the last several years but there has always been a missing piece or area of weakness even when Gallaway played there were some things missing but i really think all the pieces have come together this year and i hope that this is the team that can make it out of the difficult West Tn 5A area. Every year there is good football here and one teams seams to really step up, just hope that i'm right about my feeling that is may be millingtons year, no disrespect to the 3 football teams because they are all good but i got to pull for my boys this year. We all would love a cake walk to the championship but then if you do make it then everyone says it was a down year, or that side of the state was weak or something, so i welcome the great challenge we have and the others have to advance because the team that makes it to the semis will be ready if they can stay healthy through the wars. Good Luck 5A teams and Go Trojans!

The White Station-Houston game will be better than many think. Remember, Houston led 10-0 in the 1st half and were playing well until two plays took the wind out of their sails. Hopefully they will toughen up this week and play like they can.

like i said about ohio state losing to illinois, its possible. white station could lose, millington could lose. those are the 2 favorites, am i wrong? its going to come down to mistakes. and hopefully not the refs.

kwc, if you make it out Friday night come up to the press box and say hi. I am the PA announcer and have been for the last 15 years. I respect your opinion and support of your team without all the trash talking.

kwc, if you make it out Friday night come up to the press box and say hi. I am the PA announcer and have been for the last 15 years. I respect your opinion and support of your team without all the trash talking.

Thanks for the invite Mark H, I'll be sure to drop by. I will more then likely get there just before the half or at the half ... prior commitments prevent me from getthing there any earlier. Depending upon what time I get there, I will either drop by right before the second half commences ... or I will come by after the game is over ... win or lose ... it's always good to meet nice people.

See you Friday night ... and may every player play well without injury and let good sportsmanship be the rule of the day.

I too am exicited about the WHS-Millington game. Two questions: I know millington can run the ball, but how is their passing game-below avg, decent, good, or great? The second question is for my WH fans, the star RB #8 Hightower for WH has been injuried in the last 3-4 games, how is his injury and will he return for the millington game?

I too am exicited about the WHS-Millington game. Two questions: I know millington can run the ball, but how is their passing game-below avg, decent, good, or great? The second question is for my WH fans, the star RB #8 Hightower for WH has been injuried in the last 3-4 games, how is his injury and will he return for the millington game?

Millington is a running team, but they have a passing game. It is not the refine game that a WStation possesses but it is effective. MarkH could give you season stats but i can tell you freyerson is effective in the passing game. Against Cville he was 2-3 for 50-60yds and 2 TDs. They may have only one game over 100yds this year and only a few with more than 10 passes. Whaven needs to stop the run to be in this game. Millington has good receivers(#5 Justice) and their backs are all good pass catchers but the run is where they excel. I would also be interested in the status of Hightower. If Whaven packs the box Millington will take their shot down the field so don't forget about the pass. That very reason is why Freyerson has so many TD passes this yr.

They don't pass because most of the time, they don't have to throw the ball ... but they have an excellent reveiver in #5. He is a big physical receiver who has most of their TD receptions. The QB throws a decent pass from what I have seen on highlights ... but they haven't had to throw more the 5-6 passes in a game on average.

Hightower is healthy and ready to go!

Millington is a running team, but they have a passing game. It is not the refine game that a WStation possesses but it is effective. MarkH could give you season stats but i can tell you freyerson is effective in the passing game. Against Cville he was 2-3 for 50-60yds and 2 TDs. They may have only one game over 100yds this year and only a few with more than 10 passes. Whaven needs to stop the run to be in this game. Millington has good receivers(#5 Justice) and their backs are all good pass catchers but the run is where they excel. I would also be interested in the status of Hightower. If Whaven packs the box Millington will take their shot down the field so don't forget about the pass. That very reason is why Freyerson has so many TD passes this yr.

Whitehaven is aware that Freyerson has a very good WR to throw the ball to. I think the WH defense will be prepared. WH will be expecting MHS to take shots down the field in the passing game. That's what Millington has done all year long, with much success.

The White Station-Houston game will be better than many think. Remember, Houston led 10-0 in the 1st half and were playing well until two plays took the wind out of their sails. Hopefully they will toughen up this week and play like they can.

No question about it, the Mustangs are a very good team and I expect their excellent coaching staff to have made adjustments and be more than ready. It's always difficult to beat good teams twice in a season and this will be no exception. Houston will bring it, and the Spartans respect them fully .

Pray for injury free games !

Millington really has had no reason to throw the ball this season. Maybe to mix it up, really. Thats about it. When Fryerson steps back to throw, he already knows where he is going. and if that does not work, he runs. The O line knows where he is at and he usually gets the first down/touchdown when he runs. If the running game isnt broken, why fix it. why change routine. millington is an established running team. its as easy as that. good luck to WH to stop the run. its going to take every bit of effort from their D. There are too many threats on millingtons side of the ball.