Inter-Mountain Conference

DZbettin

Getting here late, but if you are Greeneville, do you put Dickson on Smith, leaving your gurads to stop Fanney and Mayes and Watson? Collins can stop George/Hall, if she can stay away from dumb fouls.

Other game:

Depew on Price

Suggs on Ewing

Pettis(sp?) moving Ryans around.

Can Buda stop Gilbert? That could be the match-up that decides the game. And can the other Cocke County player (whomever is in the game) stop Avery.

The real question: can Cocke County win away from home? Cherokee looked right at home Wednesday night against Jeff, and from the radio account, were holding their own until the turnover bug hit in the 4th quarter ( I was listening to the web braodcast from the Cherokee station).

Good luck to all. I wish we were still playing. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting here late, but if you are Greeneville, do you put Dickson on Smith, leaving your gurads to stop Fanney and Mayes and Watson? Collins can stop George/Hall, if she can stay away from dumb fouls.

Other game:

Depew on Price

Suggs on Ewing

Pettis(sp?) moving Ryans around.

Can Buda stop Gilbert? That could be the match-up that decides the game. And can the other Cocke County player (whomever is in the game) stop Avery.

The real question: can Cocke County win away from home? Cherokee looked right at home Wednesday night against Jeff, and from the radio account, were holding their own until the turnover bug hit in the 4th quarter ( I was listening to the web braodcast from the Cherokee station).

Good luck to all. I wish we were still playing. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Didn't sound like Ryans got pushed around too much. A double double for the Freshman.

Sorry PT for the Freshman reference. I've tried all year to keep from saying that, but I couldn't help myself tonight.

Ewing also had a big game. 4 long balls in the first half!

Some thoughts and observations from last night's games.

First, it seems that an award was overlooked last night. Since paid adults were recognizes as Coaches of the Year, then why not recognize the All-IMAC Official of the Year. Use whatever criteria you would like - my pick would be the young black headed man who called the second game last night.

Second, which would be a better all-star team: the tournament team or the season team? I think the tournament team would be a quicker team, so I would take them.

Third, in my pre-season thinking, West was not on my radar screen. From last year through last summer even into this year, I just didn't think that they could compete. My apologies. To watch them last night to see how far they have come was incredible. My hats off to West and their coach. When Goins returns, watch out.

Fourth, I know no-one would want to change the personalities of their teams, but what if you could change a player or two. What if Ryans moved into the post for West? Or if Fanney or May moved into the backcourt for G'ville?

Fifth, defense wins championships. 62 points in 2 games. It is still G'ville and the rest of us and the difference is defense and coaches coach defense.

Sixth, congrats to 2 seniors - McIntyre and Collins who were very good offensively last night. G'ville is not Dickson and everybody else. Also, congrats to the G'ville crowd - you were actually excited last night. And I might add, so was the team. When Dickson scored early in the 4th quarter, she must a jumped a mile in the air - I have never seen her excited on the court.

Seventh, the best match-up was Dickson guarding Smith. Smith already is a good offensive player with both inside and outside skills. She worked very hard last night to score and she did. But Dickson's defense was awesome.

Eighth, while I believe it was very unfair to play the tournament in G'ville since we were there 2 years ago, G'ville does have the best PA and PA announcer.

Ninth, after watching the second game, did you feel like the first game was the JV game? (No disrespect Cherokee, but we were just going through the motions playing out the string). If the Rogersville Middle School girls can be productive next year when they become freshman, Casey Ryans could dominate our league. She was very good last night - a double-double with several blocks/or altered shots.

Finally, in a season that began so promising and so full of hope and expectation for the Lady Red, it ends with the traditional whimper. Ending on a low note and with last week's decision by the school board to close the school to personal trainers (most coaches do very little in any sport at CCHS during the summer), PO will have a difficult task holding this team together through the summer into next fall.

BTW, if Travis Kelley can stay on the floor tonight and be productive and if the G'ville guard is held under 30, I'll take CCHS. If not, the Newport native Billy D. will win another conference title. How we ever let him get away is for another day.

Some thoughts and observations from last night's games.

Seventh, the best match-up was Dickson guarding Smith. Smith already is a good offensive player with both inside and outside skills. She worked very hard last night to score and she did. But Dickson's defense was awesome.

Still, Dickson only outscored her by one point--her 13 to Smith's 12. I do believe that makes Smith's defense awesome as well, doesn't it? Also, need I point out what Smith has accomplished on her defense the previous two games against Dickson? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

quote lady red "Fourth, I know no-one would want to change the personalities of their teams, but what if you could change a player or two. What if Ryans moved into the post for West? Or if Fanney or May moved into the backcourt for G'ville?"

As talented as Fanney and May are, I don't think anyone from Greeneville would want to give up McIntyre (tourney MVP--nuff said), Ramsey or Kelley for them. Ramsey really showed how much she has matured this year during this tournament. Her turnovers were minimal and her assists to Kelley and Dickson were brilliant last night. Solid pressure foulshot shooting in the previous game was key for her as well. Kelley is just starting to come into her own and we are starting to realize what talent and versatility she has. As her confidence level grows, I think you will see great things. Also I don't think Greeneville's slow-down style of offense would be a good fit for Fanney or May. It would probably be very frustrating for them as it is for us in the stands...one of these days I just know Greeneville is going to break out into some "in-your-face", "down your throat", "take-it-home" offense and still be able to hold their oppponents to around thirty-six points.

I'm not sure why everyone is opposed to holding the tourney in Greeneville but I'm pretty sure that all the AD's at each of the school's agreed on it and it really makes sense for the regionals as Greeneville is the most centrally located between the Tri-Cities schools and the majority of the IMAC schools. We have really tried to be good hosts and hope to continue to be during the regional tourney.

It really has been a great IMAC tournament with super exciting games. I'm proud of all the IMAC teams, even though we get a bad rap on the boys message boards. Good luck and health to all the teams!

I am going to once again ask the question of "Where are the stats?" I would love to see the stats on the girls in the tournament. Who was first in scoring, rebounds, assists, and field goal %? Is the MVP of the tourney picked from the last game only? I would be curious if she had the best stats across the whole tournament or just one game, or even in just one game? By the same token--all confernece?? I just don't get it. When you are playing a game which can be decided by hard facts, the facts should be used to pick these girls.

I am going to once again ask the question of "Where are the stats?" I would love to see the stats on the girls in the tournament. Who was first in scoring, rebounds, assists, and field goal %? Is the MVP of the tourney picked from the last game only? I would be curious if she had the best stats across the whole tournament or just one game, or even in just one game? By the same token--all confernece?? I just don't get it. When you are playing a game which can be decided by hard facts, the facts should be used to pick these girls.

Smith carried her team in the post season tourney (from 6th seed to championship). She would be my tourney MVP pick, but heck she only scored 59 points in those three games, not to mention what she accomplished defensively and on the boards. But alas -- to the victor goes the spoils.

Good luck IMAC.

Its very rare that a MVP or MOP is selected from the losing team.

Billy Packer tried to make a case for Greg Oden to get it last year, when he had better stats than Brewer, but I think 95% of the time, the player comes from the winning team.

I thought for a moment that they may have given it to Smith, when they announced the two girls from West, then moved to Greeneville, but then went back to Smith.

I see no fault with McIntyre getting it. She had 15 last night I think and hit 4 big first half three-point shots.

In fact, she really should've gotten it last year, too (and told last year's committee the same thing). She had double digits in both games and hit the game-winner in that tight one against Cocke County.

All-Conference (since no one posted it)

Most Valuable Player - Nicole Dickson

Greeneville - Rachel Collins, Devan McIntyre

Cocke County - Morgan Buda, Shannon Depew

Morristown East - Leah Leeper, Kayla Orrick

Cherokee - Ashlee Price, Casey Ryans

Jefferson County - Haley Nelson

Morristown West - Kelly Smith

Co-coaches of the Year: Patrick O'Neil (Cocke County) and Stacia Crumbley (Greeneville)

Region 1-AAA Schedule

Friday, Feb 22

Site of Higher Seeds

7 PM

G1 - D2 #1 Greeneville vs. D1 #4 Tennessee High

G2 - D1 #2 Dobyns-Bennett vs. D2 #3 Cherokee

G3 - D1 #1 Science Hill vs. D2 #4 Cocke County

G4 - D2 #2 Morristown West vs. D1 #3 Sullivan South

Monday, Feb 25

Hal Henard Gym

G5 - 6 PM - Greeneville/Tennessee High vs. Dobyns-Bennett/Cherokee

G6 - 7:30 PM - Science Hill/Cocke County vs. Morristown West/Sullivan South

Wednesday, Feb 27

Hal Henard Gym

G7 - 7 PM - Game 5 vs Game 6 Winners

Congratulations to Nicole Dickson for her nomination for State's Miss Basketball!!!! You are awesome!

Region 1-AAA Schedule

Friday, Feb 22

Site of Higher Seeds

7 PM

G1 - D2 #1 Greeneville vs. D1 #4 Tennessee High

G2 - D1 #2 Dobyns-Bennett vs. D2 #3 Cherokee

G3 - D1 #1 Science Hill vs. D2 #4 Cocke County

G4 - D2 #2 Morristown West vs. D1 #3 Sullivan South

Monday, Feb 25

Hal Henard Gym

G5 - 6 PM - Greeneville/Tennessee High vs. Dobyns-Bennett/Cherokee

G6 - 7:30 PM - Science Hill/Cocke County vs. Morristown West/Sullivan South