Arby's Classic

greenhtr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East and Greeneville have the best draw of any of the local teams. Tabernacle and Urspring are hands down the weakest (out of area) teams year in and year out in the Arbys. I would much rather see quality H.S. teams from the USA than average teams from the Bahamas and Germany. Get some quality team from the Northeast to replace them. It was neat the first couple of years but now I'm ready for a change. One note on the Patriots, if they can keep the ball rolling like they have the first half of the year they will be this years version of the 05-06 Central Cougars in the Big 9.

East and Greeneville have the best draw of any of the local teams. Tabernacle and Urspring are hands down the weakest (out of area) teams year in and year out in the Arbys. I would much rather see quality H.S. teams from the USA than average teams from the Bahamas and Germany. Get some quality team from the Northeast to replace them. It was neat the first couple of years but now I'm ready for a change. One note on the Patriots, if they can keep the ball rolling like they have the first half of the year they will be this years version of the 05-06 Central Cougars in the Big 9.

the 05-06 central team would run this east team off the floor, no contest, central had a better starting 5 and better bench.. to much basketball left to think about that.... i will say that east has one of the best shooter in the area in snapp,

Well im willing to beat that East WILL go farther than THS. They are one of the few local teams that has a real chance in winning their first game. East is better than what most you think. Tabernacle will not be able to stop Snapp, Faver, Banres, Deeb, or Cross

I can't say that I have seen either team play, however, if I remember correctly from last year this team was highly athletic. I don't remember them being very disciplined but they were athletic. I wouldn't pass the Tabernacle team off.

DCHS, are you serious? Greeneville got a good draw? Not to mention I'm using the term draw lightly (it's obvious the tournament directors try, and do a fine job, of getting Greeneville beat in the first round most years), but did you see the size that team has? I watched them last year, they weren't very good but they are huge. This year, Greeneville doesn't have Wiggins inside and if we happen to get by Urspring, we get the Cali team that has some serious talent from what is being said about them. They play the game for a reason, but under no circumstances did Greeneville get a good "draw".

I can't say that I have seen either team play, however, if I remember correctly from last year this team was highly athletic. I don't remember them being very disciplined but they were athletic. I wouldn't pass the Tabernacle team off.

DCHS, are you serious? Greeneville got a good draw? Not to mention I'm using the term draw lightly (it's obvious the tournament directors try, and do a fine job, of getting Greeneville beat in the first round most years), but did you see the size that team has? I watched them last year, they weren't very good but they are huge. This year, Greeneville doesn't have Wiggins inside and if we happen to get by Urspring, we get the Cali team that has some serious talent from what is being said about them. They play the game for a reason, but under no circumstances did Greeneville get a good "draw".

I'm just not impressed with the International teams. They are good, but I would rather see quality teams from the US. Don't get me wrong the Arby's Classic is one of the best things this area has ever seen. The Tourny is run very professionally and the directors do a great job. I'm just talking about 1st round match-ups. Be honest, what are the chances of either Urspring or Tabernacle winning the tournament? Greeneville could have DB or Science Hill's first round game. So yes, I would say Greeneville has a good draw. Every local team is going to meet their match in this years tourny.

I have to say I would be surprised if any local teams win their first round game this year. DB is the best local team but they play maybe the best team in Columbia,GA. I just saw where they are 19th in the nation right now. I spoke to someone who saw Archbishop Carroll play last week and he said they are the real deal and are the best team in D.C. That would be a heck of a semifinal game between those 2 teams but thats only if Carrol can get by Ralph Sampson and Northview who is undefeated right now. On the bottom side of the bracket I think its Briarcrest's to lose but Charlotte,Florida is a team to look out for also. I will say of all the local teams Sullivan East does have the best shot to win their first game simply because they play Tabernacle who is down this year because their best player Raymond Higgs transferred. But my prediction is Columbia over Briarcrest in the championship.

Does anybody know anything about that McDonald kid that plays for Briarcrest?

McDonald can play. He is ranked as one of the top 25 juniors in the country. He is a silky smooth 6-5 wing who can stroke it from downtown and has a very nice midrange game as well.

Briarcrest has a lot more than just McDonald. They have at least 3 other potential D1 recruits- 6-3 senior wing Elgin Lee, 6-2 junior pg Greg Wooten, and 6-8 junior post, Johnny Williams.

I have to say I would be surprised if any local teams win their first round game this year. DB is the best local team but they play maybe the best team in Columbia,GA. I just saw where they are 19th in the nation right now. I spoke to someone who saw Archbishop Carroll play last week and he said they are the real deal and are the best team in D.C. That would be a heck of a semifinal game between those 2 teams but thats only if Carrol can get by Ralph Sampson and Northview who is undefeated right now. On the bottom side of the bracket I think its Briarcrest's to lose but Charlotte,Florida is a team to look out for also. I will say of all the local teams Sullivan East does have the best shot to win their first game simply because they play Tabernacle who is down this year because their best player Raymond Higgs transferred. But my prediction is Columbia over Briarcrest in the championship.

It seems that DB year in and year out draws one of the toughest teams in the Arby's in the first round. I was wondering how the bracketology at the Arby's is determined. Is it strictly the luck of the draw or do the powers-that-be decide who will play who. Don't get me wrong I love seeing the great athletes at the Arby's, but it sure would be nice to see a local team make it to the finals. Can anyone tell me the last time a local team won it all? It seems like DB might have won it all back in '92 but I can't remember if anyone local has won it since.

It seems that DB year in and year out draws one of the toughest teams in the Arby's in the first round. I was wondering how the bracketology at the Arby's is determined. Is it strictly the luck of the draw or do the powers-that-be decide who will play who. Don't get me wrong I love seeing the great athletes at the Arby's, but it sure would be nice to see a local team make it to the finals. Can anyone tell me the last time a local team won it all? It seems like DB might have won it all back in '92 but I can't remember if anyone local has won it since.

Alot of the visiting teams can only play their first round games on certain days, like this year Briarcrest, Charlotte,FL,LA Dorsey, Ilonai, and Henry Carr could'nt play til the 27. So the visting teams have their first round time slot reserved. From there the local coaches gather at Arby's in Bristol in November and take a total blind draw on who their first round opponent will be. DB has gotten some bad draws and they do again this year. Tenn High recently has gotten some good draws but this year they have a tough one.

The last time a local team won the Arby's was Science Hill in 1999. Science Hill is the only local team to have success in the Arby's in recent years with a Championship in 1999, runner ups in 1998 and 2001 and final 4 in 2004 and 2005. The only local team other than Science Hill to be in the final 4 in the past 11 years was in 2001 when DB and Elizabethton were in the final 4, along with Science Hill. IMO, I don't think a local team will ever win it again.

Boone-1984

North-1986