Arby's Classic

greenhtr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Briarcrest defeated Archbishop Carroll, 71-61.

Leslie McDonald was named MVP after posting 26 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, and 5 steals.

Gregg Wooten, Elgin Lee, and Johnny Williams made the all-tournament team.

When I heard this I was really surprised. I really thought that behind the play of Christopher Thomas Archbishop would win this game. Unfortunately I was unable to make the game, but congrats to Briarcrest, might have won the Ladies' Classic in Greeneville had they not got shafted by the refs in the last seconds.

When I heard this I was really surprised. I really thought that behind the play of Christopher Thomas Archbishop would win this game. Unfortunately I was unable to make the game, but congrats to Briarcrest, might have won the Ladies' Classic in Greeneville had they not got shafted by the refs in the last seconds.

His name is Christopher Joseph. He played great but Briarcrest was the better team. I think Joseph and McDonald were about even but Elgin Lee, Johnny Williams, and maybe even the Wooten kid from Briarcrest were better than anyone that Archbishop Carroll had besides Joseph...

Since no one has mentioned this I will take a shot. Why would the "Arby's powers that be" waste program space on putting the ref's pictures and years of experience in it. I have been to a lot of tournaments and have never seen this. Why not put something about the coaches of the teams and a little Bio on them. I came to watch the players and could care less about the ref's. This ought to be worth a few calls on down the road.

They've got Rednecks in California too. The Dorsey head coach got booted with about three minutes to go, then the assistent coaches and a couple players tried to get booted also but the refs. let it slide. A pretty rough bunch they were. I hope they make it back to Cally without geting into to many fights. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I wasn??™t at the game but heard about it. My bet is that the Dorsey coach isn??™t as numb to the way the referees around here call DB games??¦especially against an out of town opponent. I met the Coach a couple days before the DB game, and I don??™t know what caliber of coach he is but his demeanor and personality was anything but redneck. Very nice and polite and respectful to all around him especially the volunteer staff. I know no one will admit it but for this man to loose it like he did I??™m willing to bet that there was some good ol home cookin going on.

12 of DB??™s 18 points in the fourth were from the foul line (only 6 points from the field). That??™s a little better than 6 in a half??¦but not by much. And not to take away from Justin??™s performance but 14 of his career high 29 points were complements of the ???stripe backs???. The Tribe was 25 of 36 from the charity stripe. Do you know how many fouls had to be called for them to get 36 free-throws!!!!!! /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I wasn??™t at the game but heard about it. My bet is that the Dorsey coach isn??™t as numb to the way the referees around here call DB games??¦especially against an out of town opponent. I met the Coach a couple days before the DB game, and I don??™t know what caliber of coach he is but his demeanor and personality was anything but redneck. Very nice and polite and respectful to all around him especially the volunteer staff. I know no one will admit it but for this man to loose it like he did I??™m willing to bet that there was some good ol home cookin going on.

12 of DB??™s 18 points in the fourth were from the foul line (only 6 points from the field). That??™s a little better than 6 in a half??¦but not by much. And not to take away from Justin??™s performance but 14 of his career high 29 points were complements of the ???stripe backs???. The Tribe was 25 of 36 from the charity stripe. Do you know how many fouls had to be called for them to get 36 free-throws!!!!!! /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

HERE IT IS FOLKS! THE FIRST MO-RON OF THE DAY AWARD FOR 2008! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

CONGRADULATIONS......Cap1 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Wasn't at that game but saw them play in another game. Their coach seemed pretty laid back. I also thought the officials called games at the Arby's completely different than they call conference games. Whats up with that? For example Volunteer didn't get away with half the crap they get away with in normal games. I guess that was why Coach Whitt complained about the officiating. I do want to say that compared to the past few years I think the refs have done a pretty good job this year. There will always be missed calls but for the most part they have done their best to get it right.

Cap,

I was actually doing the P.A. for the D-B vs. Dorsey game...it was my second game on the P.A. with Dorsey playing...the coach was a nice man, but did get after the refs a bit both games I had them (as all coaches will do)...on the game in question, there were a couple of real close calls - one a hack on a lay-up by Sylvester and one a block/charge call along the sideline right in front of the scorer's table that didn't go his way and he lost his composure over...I agreed with him that they were not called the way I saw it, but he used language that was way out of line...and used it repeatedly after being asked to stop...I understand he later spoke with the tourney director and apologized for his behavior and that is good enough for me...I enjoyed and was impressed overall with him, his staff, and his players...

There were absolutely no D-B grads officiating in Arby's, so home cooking is a very questionable thought.

I truly thought it was the best officiated Arby's I have seen and in some form of fashion I have been involved with all but the first one...

and there had to be at least 18 fouls called to shoot 36 FTs (I am a UT grad and not a math major, so be patient with me)...I hope these questions don't get any harder.

Happy New Year Cap1.

Roll Tribe Roll

Wasn't at that game but saw them play in another game. Their coach seemed pretty laid back. I also thought the officials called games at the Arby's completely different than they call conference games. Whats up with that? For example Volunteer didn't get away with half the crap they get away with in normal games. I guess that was why Coach Whitt complained about the officiating. I do want to say that compared to the past few years I think the refs have done a pretty good job this year. There will always be missed calls but for the most part they have done their best to get it right.

You might need your disclaimer again. When did Coach Whitt complain about the refs? Did one of your mind-reading friends tell you this? Please talk about what you know, because your opinions are far fetched and you seem to have an AX to grind with Coach Whitt. As I stated before, if you have a problem with Coach Whitt, please contact him. You get on here and talk trash behind a screen name and it all goes towards Volunteer for some reason, no one else but Volunteer and Coach Whitt. Surely you have more conversation to discuss, because you surely don't think that anyone from Volunteer loses any sleep over you posts, excuse me....your opinions. It is nice to live in a virtual world as this, but please get a life and move on from the Volunteer put-downs. I believe this is the main reason that the Big-Nine (1) got shut down. Real men (women) support their teams and can be mature enough not to put-down other teams, coaches, players, and fans. Your title "Floor_General" is no indication of the type of person you are on here. A "Floor General" knows how to lead. I hope we can move on from here. GOD BLESS!!!!

You might need your disclaimer again. When did Coach Whitt complain about the refs? Did one of your mind-reading friends tell you this? Please talk about what you know, because your opinions are far fetched and you seem to have an AX to grind with Coach Whitt. As I stated before, if you have a problem with Coach Whitt, please contact him. You get on here and talk trash behind a screen name and it all goes towards Volunteer for some reason, no one else but Volunteer and Coach Whitt. Surely you have more conversation to discuss, because you surely don't think that anyone from Volunteer loses any sleep over you posts, excuse me....your opinions. It is nice to live in a virtual world as this, but please get a life and move on from the Volunteer put-downs. I believe this is the main reason that the Big-Nine (1) got shut down. Real men (women) support their teams and can be mature enough not to put-down other teams, coaches, players, and fans. Your title "Floor_General" is no indication of the type of person you are on here. A "Floor General" knows how to lead. I hope we can move on from here. GOD BLESS!!!!

Far fetched? Trash talking? Hmm, where to start. How about here. This is a direct quote from an article on Tricitiessports.com. "Whittemore said that he thought the officiating was poor from one official who he did not name. He followed that up to say that he did not think it affected the outcome". I'm not sure if Mr. Bartee can read minds or not but he does well writing down what people say, after all, that is part of his job. So is that far fetched enough for you? Here is the link to the article to make it easy for you. http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp...rts&he=.com And as far as talking trash, all I have done is state my opinions in which pretty much all of the Big 9 agree with. I just happen to say it the loudest. Nothing I have said is even close to the talk or play that your Falcons bring to the court. The other thread was shut down because a young man was singled out. I have not singled out any players from Volunteer that I can recall except for those that have singled themselves out. If I am wrong here please show me and I will stand corrected. Coach Whitt is the only name I have mentioned, but he is a grown man and should be able to take constructive critisism. But I guess critisizing a coaches methods are taboo at Volunteer. Maybe I should show up to a game with his name along with an expletive on my t-shirt. Would that be more acceptable?

Far fetched? Trash talking? Hmm, where to start. How about here. This is a direct quote from an article on Tricitiessports.com. "Whittemore said that he thought the officiating was poor from one official who he did not name. He followed that up to say that he did not think it affected the outcome". I'm not sure if Mr. Bartee can read minds or not but he does well writing down what people say, after all, that is part of his job. So is that far fetched enough for you? Here is the link to the article to make it easy for you. http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp...rts&he=.com

If that is the case then I stand corrected and apologize. What I am talking about is your continued scolding of the Volunteer program. Do you not have anything to say good? I doubt you would have anything good to say about Volunteer or Coach Whitt, so maybe talking about another team would better suit you. There is an old proverb that says, "Hatred is like an acid. It can do more damage to the vessel from which it is stored than to the object on which it is poured. Also... An unfailing mark of a bitter person is the chip on his shoulder." I'm sure you are pretty smart and can understand what it means. Can we please move on and discuss whatever else, because this same team you talk so bad about has players that play their hearts out every night, have parents that support their kids that play for Volunteer, and have coaches that do their best to help these fine young men in more than basketball. So before you criticize, come and visit for a day and see just what happens in practice and off the court. You might be suprised. GOD BLESS!!!

PS..... You should know that I do not condone any negative remarks towards a group or individuals. What was done in the t-shirt incident is deplorable and unexcusable.