Alcoa QB Randall Cobb offered scholarship by UT

Red Rebels

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all not that I am an expert on track and field by any means but 40% of 11.1 is 4.44 based on this calculation that would be his forty time ( its really his 43.7 yard time if you acount for metric conversion). I understand that he has more time at top speed in the 100 but when you factor in endurance through 100 meters as opposed to forty yards I'd say 4.44 is pretty accurate, and thats fast.

As for the old ball coach and the canabis infatuated sommers, sommers went to a south carolina camp and that is how the good ole boy from science hill found out about him. Brian was offered early in his Jr. year and any film spurier had of him he was on the recieving end of Fiegler's passes or on many occasions the other teams quaterback.

if he was so good why wouldnt someone like the ole ball coach go after him?? he likes athletes...he was after brian sommers he must have not thought the qb throwing to him wasnt very good or he wouldve offered him a scholarship...by the way an 11.1 is decent speed maybe good speed for a qb but i promise you that an 11.1 will not impress any college coaches looking for speed in an athlete there are plenty others out there that run faster than that...bottom line one he will not sign with ut they are just trying to get some commits because a 2-9 team is kicking everyones butts in recruiting right now and not to mention miami is right in the mix with georiga tenn will have a horrrible class this yr but their recruits from last yr will help them be very good in the upcoming yrs

Tennessee's recruiting class will be fine. It won't be near the level of last years, but no reasonable fan thought it would be. Tennessee always finishes strong after the season when it comes to recruiting.

Also, if UT thinks this guy is good enough for an offer than I will happy to get him if he decides to come to UT.

like rogan? whats that supposed to mean??? if you watched the game saturday you should have noticed rogan won the ballgame for ut in a sense...now rogan really shouldnt be playing right now and he was only a three star athlete coming out of high school...rogan is lucky to get on the field and he has done a heck of a job when he has gotten the oppurtunity, why wouldnt you want to end up like rogan getting moderate playing time at your best position...rogan was asked at the beginning of the yr what position he wanted to play and he said DB cause he knew he had the best chance of playing if he went that route...cobb couldnt make it at ut he isnt athletic enough to play WR and isnt fast enough to play safety so he might get shoved in at TE or LB but he would have to work on getting stronger

you must be smoking on something good. He's not fast enough?? He runs a 10. 100m and he's a legit 4.5 right now and I know he'll get faster because he's working with me in the off season! I know he's as fast as Rogan was last year.

if he was so good why wouldnt someone like the ole ball coach go after him?? he likes athletes...he was after brian sommers he must have not thought the qb throwing to him wasnt very good or he wouldve offered him a scholarship...by the way an 11.1 is decent speed maybe good speed for a qb but i promise you that an 11.1 will not impress any college coaches looking for speed in an athlete there are plenty others out there that run faster than that...bottom line one he will not sign with ut they are just trying to get some commits because a 2-9 team is kicking everyones butts in recruiting right now and not to mention miami is right in the mix with georiga tenn will have a horrrible class this yr but their recruits from last yr will help them be very good in the upcoming yrs

What did Rogan run the 100m in?? I bet it wasn't faster than that! What about Rogers?? You must be crazy. Maybe you should race Cobb and let him show you how fast he is. He's as fast as any qb in the SEC right now!

What was so confusing about 8 yards total offense he did not deserve the offer and your absolutely right he has to lead the nation drops this season.

He has more than lived up to the offer even if he isnt the most dangerous reciever he is still a solid possesion guy. I respect your opinion but this is an ignorant post IMHO.....

He has more than lived up to the offer even if he isnt the most dangerous reciever he is still a solid possesion guy. I respect your opinion but this is an ignorant post IMHO.....

True Rogers is a solid possesion receiver this season but that is only because this is the worst reciving core UT has had in years. There is no stalworth, meachem, swain, kent, washington, or price, they don't even have a brett smith this year. Lucas Taylor would play the slot on most receiving cores of the past and Rogers would probably be the 5th or 6th guy. UT's most talented WRs are two true freshman and JUCO transfer they just are not ready to play a significant role yet, Just wait Gerald Jones and Denarius Moore will have better years than Rogers next season.

Alcoa fans Randal is an outstanding player but you might be setting the bar to high if you expect him to be an SEC quaterback, height matters a lot to coaches at this postion and he is not the uber talented passer who can overcome this by making every throw he will be a GREAT player at the next level just not as a qb.

Just keep in mind... SEC coaches are comparing stats and film for players from all over the country. Their jobs are dependant on them making correct determinations and decisions about which players to offer. They spend hours in meetings with other coaches deciding who they offer. Each team is allowed 85 scholarships total and they normally have 12 to 15 to legitimally give out each year. If a coach in the SEC offers to give a player a scholarship, they feel pretty sure that he will be able to help the team in one way or another. If these schools are offering him, they believe he can play for them. With that being said... college football is also a business and most coaches are going to do whatever they have to do to make their business successful. If that means making half-empty or shallow promises, they won't hesistate to do it. They may tell a kid that they'll give him a shot at QB and they half-heartedly will but don't believe for a second that they won't send him in another direction. Once they sign him and get him on campus, he's theirs and unless he's a super-stud, he'll follow their wishes or leave.

Cobb reminds me of a young Michael Vick as an athlete, but doesn't have the personal baggage that Vick does. He is left handed. He has a good arm. Michael Vick was 5'11" 185lbs. in high school, very similar to Cobb.

Cobb is faster than Hefney. Hefney is a 4.5 at best.

if you know anything about football a true and i say true 4.5 is fast...go work out with charlie petrone and see what cobb runs...i know from experience...gibril wilson ran a 4.63 the same day i ran a 4.65 with petrone...i go to the same combine wilson goes to and he runs a 4.54 and i ran a 4.59 and that is laser timed speed and it doesnt get more accurate than that....cobb may have speed but i promise you he does not compare to micheal vick in any way or fashion vick ran a 4.19 forty time????? that is faster than any quarterback in the history of football...he might be left handed and fast and elusive but to be compared to vick you have got to be kidding me...that has got to be the worste comparison i have ever heard...i like cobb and he is a heck of a kid but to say he is going to be great at ut no i dont think so but this is my opinion...a lot of people thought chris donaldson was going to start right away as a freshman this yr and be great...well from my understanding kevin simon says he is garbage and wont see any action for a while...cobb has what it takes to play at the 1aa level and maybe at a less competitive d1 school not in the SEC....and as for a forty time anyone can be fast on a hand timed forty...and on the track but you watch the nfl combine and tell me how many players actually run under a 4.4 even a 4.5...i promise you not very many and if you think rivals is correct think again...i went to athens at the nike combine and i ran a 4.42 and the best time was a 4.34 and they were hand timed...gladly i knew better than to think i was that fast but if devon hester can barely run under a 4.4 in the nfl combine then something is a little screwed up...ps reggie bush ran a 4.37 at the nfl combine and we all know how fast he is

if you know anything about football a true and i say true 4.5 is fast...go work out with charlie petrone and see what cobb runs...i know from experience...gibril wilson ran a 4.63 the same day i ran a 4.65 with petrone...i go to the same combine wilson goes to and he runs a 4.54 and i ran a 4.59 and that is laser timed speed and it doesnt get more accurate than that....cobb may have speed but i promise you he does not compare to micheal vick in any way or fashion vick ran a 4.19 forty time????? that is faster than any quarterback in the history of football...he might be left handed and fast and elusive but to be compared to vick you have got to be kidding me...that has got to be the worste comparison i have ever heard...i like cobb and he is a heck of a kid but to say he is going to be great at ut no i dont think so but this is my opinion...a lot of people thought chris donaldson was going to start right away as a freshman this yr and be great...well from my understanding kevin simon says he is garbage and wont see any action for a while...cobb has what it takes to play at the 1aa level and maybe at a less competitive d1 school not in the SEC....and as for a forty time anyone can be fast on a hand timed forty...and on the track but you watch the nfl combine and tell me how many players actually run under a 4.4 even a 4.5...i promise you not very many and if you think rivals is correct think again...i went to athens at the nike combine and i ran a 4.42 and the best time was a 4.34 and they were hand timed...gladly i knew better than to think i was that fast but if devon hester can barely run under a 4.4 in the nfl combine then something is a little screwed up...ps reggie bush ran a 4.37 at the nfl combine and we all know how fast he is

If you went to a Nike camp and came away with this kind of time, I'm sure you have a nice list of major D1 schools wanting you. Which one are you going to select? Where do you currently play?