Andre Sterling

braves4life

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so funny? They got blew-out 30-0 come playoff time didn't they? Are you saying they're impressive or agreeing with me? Anyways. Region 2, like I said, not the toughest region in 5A this year. Their top team, Farragut, gets beat by 2 TD's in the 3rd round. Same oh, same oh.

Try looking at all the games...not just one. How about nine wins? See the Maryville game by any chance, also?

"Overly impressive" football teams don't lose 30-0 in the playoffs, EVER. Winning some regular season games is nice and all, but ask Knoxville Catholic what it will get you in the playoffs. What happens in November is what matters. You may get a nice little plastic trophy at a banquet for winning 9 games and getting blasted in the playoffs. Just because teams within the same region are competitive with one another, doesn't make it a tough region. Teams from that region NEVER win State. Tough regions can get it done come playoff time.

I haven't seen him play, so the only thing I know is what I've read. He seems to be a good back in HS, but I am old enough to remember quite a number of "good HS backs" ( and QB's etc) that the "Vols would be foolish to pass on" that they passed on who never did much in college, some never even made it to college. Not saying all their picks are steller, but there is way more to being a good college back than playing football. There are grades, staying out of trouble, doing your job, being humble, just to name a few. I wish Mr Sterling all the best, I hope he lands in a good place and makes it big.

Ok I say Sterling top 5 but I also don't think yards necessarily determines an all-time great you simply have to see them play because evryone gets pulled out of games or misses them and that sort of thing. Whether the coach decides to run up the score or not shouldn't help determine it and I am sure the other great RB's out of Tennessee had the same sort of deals. As far as college goes I can see why some colleges may not recruit him heavily, but at the same time I think he should be looked at for his talent and given a chance to mature into college level football, and yes I do think he (as many other players do) will have to make a change of attitude on the field if he wants to play college ball. I do hope I get the chance to see him playing again in college, definately fun to watch.

Being a great high school back is not a clear indicator of being a great college back. Troy Fleming holds the Tennessee single season record, and he had a very average career at UT, after being moved to Fullback. Dennis Rogan was a great high school back, but I doubt he will ever see the field in UT's offensive backfield. I would assume Sterling will have a great college career, but I doubt it will be at UT. Realistic playing time at UT would be several years away, and there are probably more places where he can get playing time earlier. Most recruiters look for dynamic speed from their running backs, and I don't think Sterling brings that. I had heard he had some less than impressive 40 times at some of the camps he attended. He does have one advantage in that he has excelled in a spread offense, which is the hot offense in colleges around the country, just not in the SEC, except at Florida. I think Sterling will play D1 somewhere, just not in the SEC.

from the rumor mill....

Sterling gave soft verbal to South Carolina. Not sure if this was before or after Friday night. Great player and unbelievable talent, but he embarassed himself during the Bearden loss. He acted very childish from my vantage point.... a shame to see. Good luck to Andre in the future. Hopefully he can grow up a little and have a great collegiate career.

Sterling would do well to go to a good Division I AA school say like Appy St.or a less accomplished D I school say MTSU. Lacks size, explosiveness and over all speed. Certainly he is fast but not SEC fast. Great High School player but just doesn't have the skills needed for prime time in the SEC.

I think a good comparison would be the Guilmire kid at O.R. a few years back. Didn't he end up at Austin Peay. Sterling is about the same type of player.

Must be something to my assessment because SEC and other major conference schools aren't knocking the door down to get him.

I've learned over the years that D1 schools don't "overlook" very many at all. If you are good, they will find you, expecially if you play in 4A or 5A size schools. Remember that these are 18yr old guys and sometimes a Jr College route works well, get bigger, faster, stronger and how to do all the other things mentioned above, then transfer to a D1 school.

I've learned over the years that D1 schools don't "overlook" very many at all. If you are good, they will find you, expecially if you play in 4A or 5A size schools. Remember that these are 18yr old guys and sometimes a Jr College route works well, get bigger, faster, stronger and how to do all the other things mentioned above, then transfer to a D1 school.

Jucos and prep schools are options for players who have academic shortfalls. Very few players capable of playing D1-A football who are academically qualified go the juco route.

I do agree with you about D1 schools' knowledge of legit prospects. In this day and time with the ability to bring prospects on campus for summer prospect camps, huge recruiting budgets, and the ability to see players online and via "highlight tapes", they just don't miss many.

I've seen Sterling play on multiple occasions since his sophomore year. While he is a very good back, I don't believe he is a Top 30/SEC/Major conference caliber of running back. I see a lot of similarities between he and Spencer Gulmire. They are similar in size and speed and I expect Sterling to end up playing 1-AA football, as well.

from the rumor mill....

Sterling gave soft verbal to South Carolina. Not sure if this was before or after Friday night. Great player and unbelievable talent, but he embarassed himself during the Bearden loss. He acted very childish from my vantage point.... a shame to see. Good luck to Andre in the future. Hopefully he can grow up a little and have a great collegiate career.

If South Carolina offered he better jump on it before someone else takes it.