Nashville area recruits

Indian

After the Wake game, VU fans are now even more upset with the coaching.

Watching the 2 teams come out, there was no physical athletic difference in the 2 squads.

They seemed to be about the same talent wise.

Coaching is a different story. Look how the game turned out between 2 teams with similar talent.

Take a look at the scout or rivals VU boards and see what the fans have to say about the coaching.

(especially re: offense and special teams)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth does a 'recruiting' issue become a 'intergration' issue? Are you telling me that every recruit in TN is an african american or some other minority? ... I didn't think so.

It has been covered in this thread. It's a combination of things ... but the main point is probably that Vandy is a program associated with losing football games. Winning solves that. Coaching is where that starts. Fla. St. was a perrenial dog until they got the right coach years ago. Duke was a powerhouse in football when a young Spurrier coached there. Stanford was getting top nocth recruits and were winning football games when Tyrone Whillingham built up that program. The university of Kentucky was a powerhouse when a young Bear Bryant built them up to respectability. Their program is building now. It's possible at an institution like Vandy as well. Win ... and the recruits will come.

It has nothing to do with intergration, facilities, how many fans come to the game, etc., etc. Just WIN ... everything else will fall into place.

Academic standards too high? That's b.s. There are enough student-athletes who want a great education AND an opportunity to play in the NFL. Vandy can be competitive, if they stop considering their academic standards a limitation and start realizing it is an asset. Maybe when they change that attitude they'll be more successful at recruiting top student-athletes from in-state and around the country. Check out what I found on the 'net (I have better things to do than research this kind of stuff):

Players drafted since 1997:

Alabama 36

STANFORD 35

Auburn 34

Arkansas 27

South Carolina 22

Mississippi State 21

Mississippi 20

Kentucky 12

VANDERBILT 12

Look at baseball over there. A new coach and a stadium upgrade - and in a few years VU went from a non-factor in baseball to maybe the best program (or at least close) in the nation. Look at guys such as Jack Armstrong Jr. who are going to play for Corbin.

Coaching does matter. Bobby Johnson is not the answer.

A surprising number of VU fans WERE against the hire in the first place.

His contract is up in 2009 btw.

I don't think it has anything to do with segregation. Players will line Vanderbilt up to proven programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Flordia, and others. Players want to win.

On an unrelated note, wouldn't it be something if Sonny pulled duo-sports AGAIN?

"Sonny Gray hits the reciever in the end-zone, touchdown Commodores!"

Well, that was fun.

I don't think it has anything to do with segregation. Players will line Vanderbilt up to proven programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Flordia, and others. Players want to win.

On an unrelated note, wouldn't it be something if Sonny pulled duo-sports AGAIN?

Well, that was fun.

ha

Well, that was fun.

I will be surprised if he throws one pitch for Vandy.

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Didn't he already commit for baseball?

Gray has already signed a baseball letter of intent with Vandy, but he will likely be a high draft pick in the Major League baseball draft in June. I think the poster is referring to the fact that Gray could be playing minor league baseball next year instead of attending Vandy.