LIPSCOMB VS FULTON

Galilee

All foolishness aside (Semour), I hope Fulton can come out on top. If they don't, then all the credit will go to DL and their senior class that will finally reach the pinnacle. It should be a great game to watch and whoever wins will be a deserving champion. I now need to go study, but I'll see you in the Boro.......

Go Falcons! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm Fulton, I worry about DL and how much they are like Catholic. LT Hunt goes 6-3, 280, Center, Hudson 6-6, 240, and RT Cannon is 6-2, 255. Both OGs, Quinn and Harper are about 6-0, 190, but quick which is what you want in that offense. So their OL is not unlike Catholic's. Smaller at the Guards, a bit bigger at one Tackle, smaller at the other, and bigger at Center. Sort of a wash. It might be closer than that size wise if Fulton played Catholic after the Tait kid got hurt. Just can't remember. Holt and Rogers are pretty much carbon copies of Catholic's Vann and Phleger, who I believe did not get hurt until after the Fulton game. Tenpenny at TE is a better receiver than the catholic TE, but not a better blocker, IMO. FB, probably a wash. Walden, at WR is bigger and just as fast as Rogers. Probably quicker as well. Rogers is pretty much a Wing now to get him the ball more, but Fulton has been suckered by wheel routes in the past. All in all, very much like the challenges that Fulton saw vs. Catholic.

On defense, Cannon goes two ways up front. Then they have Lehmer, 6-3, 240 and Brewer, 6-2, 200, and Daniel, I believe is the NG @ 5-10, 190. Assume it's a 4-3, and Cannon is about the same, Lehmer also, NG @ Catholic was probably 5-10, but had to go 240, and the 4th up front would be about the same. LBs will be a problem if Fulton's OL/FB don't get to them. Tenpenny can run, and is physical as is Webb. Kid that seems to make most of the tackles though is Saggio. Tall, 6-3, and rangey, about 200, maybe a bit less. LBs seem to make most of their tackles, with the exception of Cannon, who is pretty disruptive. Secondary is Rogers, Holt, Dorris, Lehning. They seem to play a basic cover 2 zone, and they can run well. They break well on the ball, but seem to make sure that the pass is broken up vs. getting the pick. Having said that, they do have a dozen or so interceptions on the year. They are a classic bend, but don't break defense. Not a lot of sacks, interceptions, fumble recoveries, etc. But also, not a lot of points given up. Example would be last week against Mitchell. DL got beat in total 1st downs, 16-7. Rushing 1st downs, 9-5. Passing 1st downs, 6-2. Outrushed 273-193, and outpassed, 124-91. DL also lost two fumbles to none. But they won the game. Bend, don't break.

Coaching, and adjustments in game are very good. Again, bend don't break. On the other hand, this might be one of the better coaching jobs that the staff at Fulton has pulled off in a long time.

From a Fulton perspective, this DL team is not as talented as the Catholic team that beat you earlier this year. However, IMO, they are better than anyone else you played. Now, was Catholic 27-0 better than Fulton. On that night, yes. Today. No. This Fulton team has improved tremendously since then; however, this game will still be close. The Catholic LBs gave Fulton fits, and....sacks, and this DL bunch of LBs does not seem as physical, but are just as fast, take very good angles, and are explosive. DL has an advantage upfront. very slight. Fulton has DBs for days. I've been saying since the summer passing leagues that this group could cover, and they have done so better than anyone I have seen this year. They will however, need to play the run better than they have over the last two weeks. AE, and PC don't read and react like the DL O-Linemen do.

ruse?

Fulton wont beat Lipscomb throwing the football. They will beat Lipscomb running right at them. Lipscomb's line is small compared to Fulton and a couple play both ways. If Fulton comes out throwing, they are playing right into Lipscombs hands.

If Fulton passes too many times that will be exactly as DL wants them to do- RUN RUN RUN = DO NOT PASS TOO OFTEN. Someone posted why DL posters arent on this thread, its because only one represents them on the board as a whole ( to keep the chatter down) with exception of a few from different Nashville region 5 teams that ALWAYS jump on board the DL Bandwagon= which is what one should do that supports their own region. One has been restricted from posting due to over-doing it as is his nature. I dont have a horse in this race... but GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Prospect Lipscomb doesnt tyrna(whatever that means) run the ball every play. Why would you question the play calling of a team that had been to the state the past three years?

i said tryna(trying to) not tyrna(whatever THAT means)....and i question the playcalling because they've been there 3 times and have 3 SILVER balls... getting there is the easy part for DL but winning it all is obviously too difficult for their staff to do...i once had a t-shirt that said on the back "There is no 2nd place. 2nd place was invented to make the loser feel better"....i wish i still had it so i can run on the DL side saturday n flash it to the fans

Congrats to both Fulton and Lipscomb. Great accomplishment.

The Fulton game went as I expected...PC isn't (wasn't) that strong along the offensive front and not even a good athlete like Mason can operate without help. I also believed Fulton would take advantage of the DB schemes PC plays. Fulton has what my team (White House) and others in our region do not posess in huge quantities....a great amount of speed. I will be interested to see what type of team PC has next year. They sure didn't seem to have many players on their bench.

Like to see a Middle Tennessee team win this one, but do not believe it will happen.

Fulton-27

DL- 17

I heard the same thing about the Fulton-PC game. Fulton pushed PC's offensive line around all night. I think Fulton's speed will be too much for Lipscomb.

I really think Fulton has two ways to win this game.

1. They play normal Fulton Football, Change NOTHING, and rely on big plays and the spread out wide open offense. They stick with the type of play calling of the past 3 playoff games and do their... "Let's catch em off guard" plays and tricks. (this option takes a chance of DL's using there strength in passing defense to shut Fulton's offense down!...unless Fulton plays perfect and makes big plays)

-or-

They attack DL's weakness. They become religious to the running game and sticking with it. With decent field position you have the luxury of 4 plays to run and pick up 10 yards. You have to CRAM it down their throat and exploit there weakness against the run. They play Power Football the whole game. Hurt them and attack their weakness and then finish the kill with play action sucking up the DBs and having a wide open target. (this option also takes a change with Fulton's average line coming and playing Average Football) If they play normal average ball Fulton can pick up first downs with 3-4 time running. If they play below average they will not move the ball which causes DL's DBs to expect and play the pass. If the OL plays above average football then I pity DL because it will get out of hand!!

Saying all that to say this. Fulton can win this game in different ways. They can also lose in many ways... I believe if Fulton comes out and executes assignments and play together as a team... Fulton wins the game by 28-32 points. If Fulton comes out playing Average Joe ball then they win by 6. ( a late 4th Q score)

And if the worst happens and Fulton comes out Flat and Distracted DL wins by 10

I think that Offensive Coordinator will come out thinking run...and letting 2 very short gaining plays (or loss of a yard) scare him into passing and forgetting about the run. I know he loves his receivers (which he should) and he will try to throw it all over the field. I think he will pass more than what he should. I just hope that it will not cost FHS the game.

I hope he can stay balanced and not lose focus on staying balanced.

I think Screens will work well, the bubble, crossing routes and middle dumps. The short game in passing could replace the running game if players can execute and the right style of plays is called.

RUN, RUN, RUN!

With all that said my Final Prediction is... Fulton - 36 -vs- DL - 14

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!

Win this one... cause NO ONE thought you would be where you are at... and NO ONE Believed that you were STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will say DL is like Catholic, but then again, Catholic beating Fulton 27-0 was a fluke for both teams. I know this is sort of old news, but if they played again im not sure Catholic would even win. Imagine Fulton playing Catholic again, then imagine DL as a slightly less weaker Catholic. Who wins?

FalconsFlyHigh/deg08.

Just using DL as a point of reference for Falcon Fans. No dog in the fight, horse in the race, etc. Fluke or not, the reality is that Fulton lost to Catholic. Another relaity is that the game is between Fulton and DL. My point is cautionary. If Fulton believes that the Catholic loss was a fluke, and that Fulton soundly beat outstanding teams on the way to the Ship, those Falcons will be walking a slippery slope. Rutledge in RD #1. Good year, not an outstanding team. Nice QB though. AC in RD #2. AE in RD #3. Underachieved. Yep, they knocked Catholic out, but when I was at that game, I found that Catholic only had 1 starter on the OL left, both starting RBs out, and 4 starters on defense out. I saw PC vs. Howard. PC does no better than 4th in 2-3A. AC & Kingston would both give them all they would want.

Fulton has improved, and the youngsters have grown. That's fine. There is always another level of responsibility to team, coaches, family, and community when one gets this far. That level of responsible approach to a championship game will be tested by DL, the atmosphere, and all the trappings of the weekend.

Be careful Falcons. That Catholic team that beat you earlier 27-0 was not the same team at the end of the year. The DL team that you are going to play this weekend will be much more like the Catholic team you lost to, rather than the Catholic team that got beat by AE in the playoffs. Good luck, stay healthy, focused, and do the next right thing.

ruse?

The FHS KC game was 27-0, but one factor made it happen. The FHS linebacker #27 went down in the first quarter. Fans, and players thought it may be a season ending injury. The team folded like a lawn chair. FHS could not run, or pass. The team was FLAT! KC also hit a couple long passes. Before #27 went down the score was 0-0, and the FHS D had KC O in check. The FHS O was running the ball when #27 went down. I know the outcome would have been different if #27 does not get hurt! If KC has all of their players they would be in the finals, but you can`t change HISTORY!

DL is TOUGH! FHS is also! It will be a good game.

RIPPER

The FHS KC game was 27-0, but one factor made it happen. The FHS linebacker #27 went down in the first quarter. Fans, and players thought it may be a season ending injury. The team folded like a lawn chair. FHS could not run, or pass. The team was FLAT! KC also hit a couple long passes. Before #27 went down the score was 0-0, and the FHS D had KC O in check. The FHS O was running the ball when #27 went down. I know the outcome would have been different if #27 does not get hurt! If KC has all of their players they would be in the finals, but you can`t change HISTORY!

DL is TOUGH! FHS is also! It will be a good game.

RIPPER

Hey Ripper.

Sounds about right. Just don't want em gittin too big fur thar britches.

ruse?