LIPSCOMB VS FULTON

Galilee

I had a birds eye view of it all and so did well over 2000 people. In your defense you could not have seen all that went on. The refusing to shake hands at first was just one of the many things. I was completely surprised by the action that several had. I was also very dissapointed. To be selected MVP and just before they call you name out sling your helmet and shoulder pads off. Accepting the MVP without your teams jersey on shows just how much respect he had for his team, his coaches, his school, and his community. He was not the only one. I know it was a hard time for the kids, but they had won it before and should know how to act. It was a direct reflection on everyone involved in the program including Knoxville.

4 my sister's comments couldn't be stated better. DL won and we congratulate them on that. If you had a birds eye view then you should have seen that Cobb had removed his jersey & pads coming off the field after the final seconds. This is something he has routinely done throughout his high school career (I should know I'm one of the 1st people on the field and it's to specifically see him at the conclusion of the game). I do agree he should have grabbed his jersey before going to mid-field, but he did have on a fulton t-shirt. If you don't remember that I can send you a picture. Every win is a new high experience and every loss hurts a little deeper. Especially when you know it's your last. Back off the kids...they left it all on the field and you should to.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a birds eye view of it all and so did well over 2000 people. In your defense you could not have seen all that went on. The refusing to shake hands at first was just one of the many things. I was completely surprised by the action that several had. I was also very dissapointed. To be selected MVP and just before they call you name out sling your helmet and shoulder pads off. Accepting the MVP without your teams jersey on shows just how much respect he had for his team, his coaches, his school, and his community. He was not the only one. I know it was a hard time for the kids, but they had won it before and should know how to act. It was a direct reflection on everyone involved in the program including Knoxville.

Leonard, you've been on this site for a long time and I really enjoy most of your posts. I don't always agree, but in most instances I enjoy reading your comments. In this case, however, I think you are being overly judgmental and way over the top with your generalizations.

As a coach, I always believed---in fact, I've insisted--- that there needs to be a moment or two of private team time immediately after the end of every game or match to allow the emotions of the game to dissipate. Win or lose, the moment a game is over is not, usually, the right time to start interacting, congratulating or consoling person's other than teammates and it certainly isn't the time to pass out or receive awards---especially with younger atheletes. After a team (alone) moment, then both sides should immediately go about shaking hands, receiving accolades/condolences and visiting. The losers won't be happy and the winners won't be sad, but neither team will be as likely to act emotionally rather than as they should.

Emotions can cloud good judgment in teenagers. It has nothing to do with knowing "how to act". Few coaches reherse proper "loser" behavior before the final gun or buzzer. An adult, especially one familiar with sports, should know this and not try to spotlight and publicly overblow emotional behavior that occurs immediately after the end of a team's loosing the biggest game of the year. Further, individuals' emotional behavior is certainly NOT a "direct reflection on everyone involved in the program including Knoxville." That over the top, overbroad and, in my opinion, unknowledgable statement, to me, is a "direct reflection" on your failure to reflect on your post before you let it fly in a public forum.

In the last few years I have had numerous opportunities to observe the Fulton football program from the vantage of what I now believe to be their biggest regional rivalry---Knox Catholic (sorry AE). There have been big wins and big losses for both---usually in closely contested games. Overall, though, my obsevation of the Falcons' program---winning and losing---- has been very positive. The boys know how to carry themselves and have always, when given an opportunity to decompress and reflect, been great sports and excellent adversaries.

Congratulations to DL and the Falcons for two outstanding seasons!

Leonard, you've been on this site for a long time and I really enjoy most of your posts. I don't always agree, but in most instances I enjoy reading your comments. In this case, however, I think you are being overly judgmental and way over the top with your generalizations.

As a coach, I always believed---in fact, I've insisted--- that there needs to be a moment or two of private team time immediately after the end of every game or match to allow the emotions of the game to dissipate. Win or lose, the moment a game is over is not, usually, the right time to start interacting, congratulating or consoling person's other than teammates and it certainly isn't the time to pass out or receive awards---especially with younger atheletes. After a team (alone) moment, then both sides should immediately go about shaking hands, receiving accolades/condolences and visiting. The losers won't be happy and the winners won't be sad, but neither team will be as likely to act emotionally rather than as they should.

Emotions can cloud good judgment in teenagers. It has nothing to do with knowing "how to act". Few coaches reherse proper "loser" behavior before the final gun or buzzer. An adult, especially one familiar with sports, should know this and not try to spotlight and publicly overblow emotional behavior that occurs immediately after the end of a team's loosing the biggest game of the year. Further, individuals' emotional behavior is certainly NOT a "direct reflection on everyone involved in the program including Knoxville." That over the top, overbroad and, in my opinion, unknowledgable statement, to me, is a "direct reflection" on your failure to reflect on your post before you let it fly in a public forum.

In the last few years I have had numerous opportunities to observe the Fulton football program from the vantage of what I now believe to be their biggest regional rivalry---Knox Catholic (sorry AE). There have been big wins and big losses for both---usually in closely contested games. Overall, though, my obsevation of the Falcons' program---winning and losing---- has been very positive. The boys know how to carry themselves and have always, when given an opportunity to decompress and reflect, been great sports and excellent adversaries.

I would say that it would appear to be a small thing. At Lipscomb the Tennessean state the Mustangs sweat the small things like win or lose they immediately head to midfield to shake hands with the opponent. They don't take their gear off until they are either walking to the locker room or inside the locker room. Taking your gear off before hand brings attention to yourself. (Your self, Me, and I) are not team oriented. I am not aware of anyone within our Region 5 that does not quickly head to mid-field to shake hands.

I would say that it would appear to be a small thing. At Lipscomb the Tennessean state the Mustangs sweat the small things like win or lose they immediately head to midfield to shake hands with the opponent. They don't take their gear off until they are either walking to the locker room or inside the locker room. Taking your gear off before hand brings attention to yourself. (Your self, Me, and I) are not team oriented. I am not aware of anyone within our Region 5 that does not quickly head to mid-field to shake hands.

Although I think Climer's article was grossly biased and slanted toward the private sector...there was some truth in it. The comments about DL and their coach were true. I can say when we were in the same region...they played with class and sportsmanship. Even when we did beat them (once)...they showed that same class and sportsmanship. I was impressed.

Similar reactions were done by teams playing Fulton on several occasions and the Falcon faithful blasted them. I normally don't blast many programs, but many of the Fulton faithful have continued to blast many other schools calling them classless, and other forms of downgrade. I saw a very exciting game between the two teams. The old saying "Act like you've been here before" really does come into play because they have. The great class that Fulton has shown before just did not happen like the years they won. I agree a time of private moments should happen before the shaking of hands and other awards, but this is the real world and that don't happen. Maybe I just looked at it with media eyes, but the many coaches around me did not seem to think it was normal or acceptable behavior. They brought my attention to it.

Although I think Climer's article was grossly biased and slanted toward the private sector...there was some truth in it. The comments about DL and their coach were true. I can say when we were in the same region...they played with class and sportsmanship. Even when we did beat them (once)...they showed that same class and sportsmanship. I was impressed.

In the last few years Greenbrier starts their season with DL being within the first two games of the season usually, so we get to see a year-in and year-out sample of DL's sportmanship and class. We were the only team to beat them two years straight in football and yet our two teams and coaching staffs have great mutual respect for each other in all sports. BUT, I was most impressed with the demeanor of Coach Mac watching the game Saturday and the way the DL team handled the closing minutes of the game. Even leading with only seconds to go, they did not start the celebration and didn't even step off the sidelines until the game was totally over. And Vandy is right...I have yet to see a team we play that doesn't keep their uniform on (even our injured players get out of pads and put their jersey back on on the sidelines) until they get to locker room AFTER first going to midfield to shake hands. Maybe it's mostly a Middle Tennessee thing...

I'm really proud of David Lipscomb! It's a privilege a team like them on a regular basis. (Even if sometimes they do have to come to the country) /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Leonard, how many State Championship games have you lost before? My guess is NONE because you probably didn't ever play in one. I was lucky. I never had to experience a hard loss in a title game, but I can only imagine the type of pain that a team goes through that does experience it. Terrence Cobb played as tough of a game as one can play and ran harder than any back I've seen for a long time, breaking tackle after tackle. He's a senior and while he does have 2 rings, everybody wants to go out on top, for your senior class to leave that mark. Should he have taken his jersey off before accepting the MVP? No, he shouldn't have, but give him a break. Give Fulton a bit of a break. Losing the State Championship is as tough as it gets and it's easy to jump all over the kids from the stands, but when you experience it, it's different. I only experienced celebrating, but I can't imagine the hurt of losing that game. You're way too quick with your comments about how it reflects the school, community, and Knoxville in general, all because a team took a loss pretty hard. See, you say Fulton has been there and should act like it, but the truth is, that's the 1st time those kids have ever lost a championship game, and there were a lot of younger guys who hadn't ever been there before.

On another note, I never made excuses for the loss with my previous post about Rogers' catch. In my opinion, that catch completely shifted the momentum of that game. Fulton had just ran it down the field fairly easy and scored, taking a 18-17 lead. That throw was on 3rd down and long, so if the QB doesn't make a great throw, Fulton gets the ball back, still with momentum, and in my opinion, probably would've won. HOWEVER, the QB did make the throw, Rogers made the catch, and the Mustangs came out on top in the end. They deserved it and played a hard fought football game. It was a great game and that play was just one of those momentum changers. Again, no excuses, I don't want to hear the stupid, "If's...but's...candy and nuts...." saying. I congratulated the Mustangs and they deserved the gold ball. Fulton had a great season and shouldn't hang their heads in the least. Everyone have a great Christmas and hopefully both will end up in the Boro again next year! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Similar reactions were done by teams playing Fulton on several occasions and the Falcon faithful blasted them. I normally don't blast many programs, but many of the Fulton faithful have continued to blast many other schools calling them classless, and other forms of downgrade. I saw a very exciting game between the two teams. The old saying "Act like you've been here before" really does come into play because they have. The great class that Fulton has shown before just did not happen like the years they won. I agree a time of private moments should happen before the shaking of hands and other awards, but this is the real world and that don't happen. Maybe I just looked at it with media eyes, but the many coaches around me did not seem to think it was normal or acceptable behavior. They brought my attention to it.

Leonard you are right. It is easy when you win but the real person come out when you lose. Also the last or next to last play when Lipscombs was in the V formation and the fulton player came across the top was a cheap shot some one could have been hurt. Leonard keep telling it like it is you are not over the top.

Grossly bias and slanted. He was pointing out some facts about the Lipscomb program and how its done...and done right. If you want to talk bias and slanted how about the article the Tennessean ran a few weeks ago about the Publics vs. the Privates.....that was a slanted article..only view from the public side was presented..no views from the Private Divsion I schools at all. I appreciated the rest of your comments in your post.

I was at the game where Smith County beat the Mustangs 16-0. My oldest son a junior that year played OG. Coach Mac really got on the offensive line after that game. I personally think it was the Lipscomb play calling that night. That was the last game that Lipscomb has been shut out in a football game (1999). That was a good Smith County Team that year.

Leonard, how many State Championship games have you lost before? My guess is NONE because you probably didn't ever play in one. I was lucky. I never had to experience a hard loss in a title game, but I can only imagine the type of pain that a team goes through that does experience it. Terrence Cobb played as tough of a game as one can play and ran harder than any back I've seen for a long time, breaking tackle after tackle. He's a senior and while he does have 2 rings, everybody wants to go out on top, for your senior class to leave that mark. Should he have taken his jersey off before accepting the MVP? No, he shouldn't have, but give him a break. Give Fulton a bit of a break. Losing the State Championship is as tough as it gets and it's easy to jump all over the kids from the stands, but when you experience it, it's different. I only experienced celebrating, but I can't imagine the hurt of losing that game. You're way too quick with your comments about how it reflects the school, community, and Knoxville in general, all because a team took a loss pretty hard. See, you say Fulton has been there and should act like it, but the truth is, that's the 1st time those kids have ever lost a championship game, and there were a lot of younger guys who hadn't ever been there before.

On another note, I never made excuses for the loss with my previous post about Rogers' catch. In my opinion, that catch completely shifted the momentum of that game. Fulton had just ran it down the field fairly easy and scored, taking a 18-17 lead. That throw was on 3rd down and long, so if the QB doesn't make a great throw, Fulton gets the ball back, still with momentum, and in my opinion, probably would've won. HOWEVER, the QB did make the throw, Rogers made the catch, and the Mustangs came out on top in the end. They deserved it and played a hard fought football game. It was a great game and that play was just one of those momentum changers. Again, no excuses, I don't want to hear the stupid, "If's...but's...candy and nuts...." saying. I congratulated the Mustangs and they deserved the gold ball. Fulton had a great season and shouldn't hang their heads in the least. Everyone have a great Christmas and hopefully both will end up in the Boro again next year! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Give them a break!!!! Are you kidding the ones that looked bad where the older kids. To many kids even losing a playoff game is devistating, yet you blasted them on things they did. I guess we should forgive Michael Vick as well. I know the two are completely different, and Vicks issue was way beyond what we are discussing. I guess we should overlook the way the Falcons behaved, but not the way other previous schools you downed behaved. It is very easy to put down a school for acting like some do, but when it comes to the school we support should we overlook it? In your own words you say he should not have done it, but also in your own words you said he had done it all year long. Sounds to me like you don't think that your former coaches should have every allowed it from the the first ballgame?

I normally don't blast many teams on here, just when color blind statements are made.

And by the way I have been in your shoes before. I have been to the dance several times. I have heard and experienced many things, but usually don't comment until I see it for myself. By the way you IP shows your out of the Fulton Zone.