Maryville vs Maplewood

jrlcm

Maplewood played as good as they could play! IMO the coaches had an outstanding game plan which appeared to be grind it out with the run game and keep maryvilles explosive offense off the field. Maplewoods defense had allowed less than an average of 10 points a game but they had not faced an offense like maryvilles which makes you defend the entire field. I bet Coach Quarles has enjoyed having a talented trigger man like Burnette to run his offense. Being a Hillsboro fan we Unfortunately witnessed first hand what kind of QB he was in last years championship game. Maryvilles first score was the result of Burnette improvising and escaping pressure by scrambling to his left and hitting #5 for a touchdown! Maplewood seemed to man up on maryvilles receivers pretty well which allowed them to bring pressure that would have rattled a lesser QB but only allowed Burnette to take advantage and hit TE Douglas and #24 out of the backfield. Maplewood definitely won the battle of special teams which allowed them to stay in the game. Unlike the rest of the teams competing in 4A, the maryville fans must hate to see this years senior class go. 60-0 is incredible! Is that a record? Congratulations!

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maplewood played as good as they could play! IMO the coaches had an outstanding game plan which appeared to be grind it out with the run game and keep maryvilles explosive offense off the field. Maplewoods defense had allowed less than an average of 10 points a game but they had not faced an offense like maryvilles which makes you defend the entire field. I bet Coach Quarles has enjoyed having a talented trigger man like Burnette to run his offense. Being a Hillsboro fan we Unfortunately witnessed first hand what kind of QB he was in last years championship game. Maryvilles first score was the result of Burnette improvising and escaping pressure by scrambling to his left and hitting #5 for a touchdown! Maplewood seemed to man up on maryvilles receivers pretty well which allowed them to bring pressure that would have rattled a lesser QB but only allowed Burnette to take advantage and hit TE Douglas and #24 out of the backfield. Maplewood definitely won the battle of special teams which allowed them to stay in the game. Unlike the rest of the teams competing in 4A, the maryville fans must hate to see this years senior class go. 60-0 is incredible! Is that a record? Congratulations!

Good post.

Sir, we here in Maryville have hated to see many senior classes to include this one go the past 10 years. Good football teams all. 60-0 is a great record but we must remember there are several classes involved in this win streak not just this group. I can't think of one of these seniors who contributed much to the first 15-30 games of the present streak. But none the less this group of senior leaders did what many of the past groups did and stepped it up to get it done. They have a great legacy to be sure. We heard and saw the running game and the defense in some areas were not what Maryville has enjoyed the past few years most of this year, but that was compared to Maryville's standards. This group of young men have represented the community well and I am proud of them for continuing the tradition and keeping Maryville on top where presently, no one else dwells.

Good post

Good post.

Sir, we here in Maryville have hated to see many senior classes to include this one go the past 10 years. Good football teams all. 60-0 is a great record but we must remember there are several classes involved in this win streak not just this group. I can't think of one of these seniors who contributed much to the first 15-30 games of the present streak. But none the less this group of senior leaders did what many of the past groups did and stepped it up to get it done. They have a great legacy to be sure. We heard and saw the running game and the defense in some areas were not what Maryville has enjoyed the past few years most of this year, but that was compared to Maryville's standards. This group of young men have represented the community well and I am proud of them for continuing the tradition and keeping Maryville on top where presently, no one else dwells.

Good post

Good post.

Good post

Obviously, it goes without saying you had to have had multiple classes to contribute to a run like you have had! I only based my post on what your coach quarles was quoted saying about they had never lost on a Friday evening or saturday afternoon and being the first to do so. Regardless, when you have enjoyed the success they have had I would be surprised if all the classes at maryville didn't contribute in some shape, form or fashion every year. Congrats!

I think it's more awesome for the Maryville senior class personally that they did go 15-0 this year rather than going 60-0 while mostly being on the sidelines for that stretch. Most did contribute towards the last 30 wins at least.

But you also have to credit the senior classes of the past few years as well for our seniors to have gone 15-0 this year - the ridiculous success of the seniors and juniors in '04, '05 and '06 that allowed so many of these seniors this year to gain experience in the second halfs of these games.

This is actually the first year where I don't think George Quarles could quite get his back-ups into the game so often for them to gain some experience. I don't think that bodes well for the next year at least. So if next year's seniors don't go 15-0, we actually could blame this year's senior class for that. Not saying that we should, but we could.

Actually, it's probably better to blame it on the amount of injuries we had this year. Nothing they really can do about that.

I remember using to always complain when our starters started going out in the third quarter, sometimes even the second quarter, I would say that Quarles was calling off the dogs too soon a lot of times, but it's really paid off dividends for a long time now and I sort of feel silly about complaining about it now. I was actually looking for us to be able to get more players on the field this year.

this storm has maplewood written all over it... and you may be sitting on the home field side ..but this is going to be a home game for maplewood .. and we are going to sail this one home as state champs!!!

Panther Pride!!!

Maplewood!!!

c/o 95!!!

Thats Right!!

Listen boski, I'm not sure all the players families made it to support Maplewood, the way their side looked.

As always the 'Boro was turned into a Red and Black... Skeeter West!!!!

Congrats to Maryville!

I thought Maplewood played a good game, just too many defensive breakdowns and too many mental mistakes. To Maryville, You guys played a heck of a game and executed your gameplan very well. Because I live in Nashville, I've seen Maplewood play more than I've seen Maryville play. It's obvious why your team has won 60 games in a row. You have a great coaching staff, great players and great fans. You really have a class program.

I can't miss this opportunity to congratulate Maplewood on their trip to the 'Boro.

You couldn't have picked two more diverse programs, schools or communities to be represented in this final. Maplewood students have struggles and obstacles to overcome that most never face. With that backdrop, their ability to rise above the challenges and become a credible representative for themselves and school was very admirable.

No, they didn't win the game- neither did they get blown out by a very talented Rebel squad. All of us who support high school football need to recognize what a wonderful story, what a wonderful lesson this team was for us all.

Good luck in the future to the fine young men who played for Maplewood. Here's hoping that the lessons learned and the experiences gained will prove a platform for future success.

oh we were there we had fans on both sides maroon was deep ..and the red was cheap!!.. and it was a good game ... i was not impressed with maryille and it was not classy but you won so congrats on that part.. ..and i feel maplewood did not play its best game .. on the offensive side of the ball ..they got away from what got them here ..and Maryville secondary was weak ..and maplewood simply did not take advantage of it! id see #7 cheat over to help # 17 cover 88, so many times..Maplewoods TE should have had a field day .. i ask myself why simpson didnt run the ball as he has done many games before ...the playaction pass was there ..but they seemed to never use it .. my hats off to Maplewood ...you guys played harder than most thought you would have .. im glad to see you made it that far nobody gave you a chance so you took it.

Great season Maplewood!! ..we will be back!! Nashville is Proud of you!!

and i still say you guys a are private school ..Maryville remember they all fall down .. your day is coming sooner than you think!

i was not impressed with maryille and it was not classy....Maryville remember they all fall down .. your day is coming sooner than you think!

Boy I bet you must really not be impressed with Maplewood then.

As far as Maryville falling down and 'sooner than we think'...Well there are a lot of fans that say that....To which I kindly remind them that their grand daddy said the same thing... /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

oh we were there we had fans on both sides maroon was deep ..and the red was cheap!!.. and it was a good game ... i was not impressed with maryille and it was not classy but you won so congrats on that part.. ..and i feel maplewood did not play its best game .. on the offensive side of the ball ..they got away from what got them here ..and Maryville secondary was weak ..and maplewood simply did not take advantage of it! id see #7 cheat over to help # 17 cover 88, so many times..Maplewoods TE should have had a field day .. i ask myself why simpson didnt run the ball as he has done many games before ...the playaction pass was there ..but they seemed to never use it .. my hats off to Maplewood ...you guys played harder than most thought you would have .. im glad to see you made it that far nobody gave you a chance so you took it.

Great season Maplewood!! ..we will be back!! Nashville is Proud of you!!

and i still say you guys a are private school ..Maryville remember they all fall down .. your day is coming sooner than you think!

boski dude you are right about one thing this was the BIG MV's last run for awhile. I look for Henry Co. to be one of the State teams next year.

I know most of you MV fans will disagree. boski the Panthers played them tough, with about 33 players to 90 something this did not go unnoticed. Maplewood Panthers hold your heads high you had a fantastic season and have the respect of all of middle Tennessee. Good Luck to all of you and keep working. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />