Ranking of the teams in the Blue Cross Bowl

A49304930B

Wow, if only they could only play maryville in their imagination.

1. Maryville (GQ .)

2. Smyrna

3. Alcoa (Smyrna depth is the difference, alhtough anything could happen)

4. Maplewood

5. Independence

6. David Lipscomb

7. Fulton

8. South Pitt

9. Goodpasture

10. Mckenzie

Whether the coach waas honest or paying lip service my opinion is South pitt should be proud of what they did, but they could not hang with Alcoa. I did not see Smyrna but I gave them the nod over Alcoa due to size and margin of victory. Hard to avoid my Alcoa bias though.

Have to agree with this post BTW I really don't buy into that whole "big boys" 5A train of thought. Last time I checked each team only has 11 on the field at a time. I'll put Alcoa's 11 up against any in the state...but when it comes to #1 in the state of TN it's the Maryville Red Rebels /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> and this from a hard core Alcoa F5 fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa does not have a hard time finding local teams, they dropped Fulton this year, and I know for a fact that Webb wanted to schedule them.

You are dead wrong on that one. Alcoa did not drop Fulton. The only reason Alcoa and Fulton did not play this season was because the schedule would not work out. Neither Alcoa or Fulton could get region teams to move their scheduel around so they could play. And Webb did not try to play Alcoa this year, I dont know where you got that from. I have a friend on the coaching staff at Alcoa and I just called and asked him and he said that never happened. He told me they looked around here for non-region games and could not find anyone to schedule which is why they had to get spring hill and white house. He said they would much rather schedule teams around here and avoid all the travel but it just didnt work out that way.

Maryville = The best in the state of Tennessee and they will win in 5-A after next year

Smyrna = They are not a Maryville yet but they are on their way

Alcoa = Could play in 3-A and 4-A other than Maryville

Maplewood = They played Maryville close

David Lipscomb = A Great program that should be in the private division

Independence = Looked alot better in the 2nd half

Fulton = They have had a good run in 3-A we will see what they do in 4-A after next year with over 1200 students

South Pittsburg = Could not play with Alcoa, Fulton, Maplewood, or David Lipscomb

Goodpasture = Had a good run but could not play with any of the above also should be in the private division

McKenzie = They are a good 1-A team

You are dead wrong on that one. Alcoa did not drop Fulton. The only reason Alcoa and Fulton did not play this season was because the schedule would not work out. Neither Alcoa or Fulton could get region teams to move their scheduel around so they could play. And Webb did not try to play Alcoa this year, I dont know where you got that from. I have a friend on the coaching staff at Alcoa and I just called and asked him and he said that never happened. He told me they looked around here for non-region games and could not find anyone to schedule which is why they had to get spring hill and white house. He said they would much rather schedule teams around here and avoid all the travel but it just didnt work out that way.

Yea because if I was a coach I would admit to dropping a team. Funny how Alcoa, Catholic , and Oak ridge

were all looking for teams to schedule and couldn't work it out.

I think Lipscomb has a great team but I don't think they are better than Alcoa, Maple wood or Symrna.

But it is just an opinion no nobody knows for sure. As far as Lipscomb being the best coached team in the state I think George Quarles might have something to say about that. DL beat Alcoa 4 years ago with 6 sophomores starting, that same same year Oliver Springs beat them to , So What.

He also forgot that Alcoa went on to stomp DL on their home field the next year, after that Alcoa played Huntingdon and won. They have never looked back since.

Maryville would beat Smyrna ..... Thats the bottom line. They would !!!!! Alcoa would give Smyrna a great game too. I would like to see a Maplewood vs. Smyrna Game. Maryville is very young. Not many Seniors at all. Maryville is what we all want to be. I'm not even a Maryville fan. Regardless what classafication, Maryville is the best high school football program I have ever seen. Maryville and Oak Ridge scrimmage every preseason, which Oak Ridge is one of the best teams in 5A in east TN, Maryville kills them every year. I dont know, but I would put Maryville up against anyone in the South East ..... thats just my opinion ....

Well, my bottom line says Smyrna would beat Maryville. Do you know what that proves? Nothing. All these are are opinions. Opinions are like>>>>edited - read the board rules<<<.

We can debate this until the cows come home, but until somebody plays, it is all speculation.

I just don't see how Maryville, could handle Smyrna's team speed. It's not just one or two, the whole team (especially on D) can move. When I watched the Maryville game, I just couldn't picture them beating Smyrna. The Douglas kid would cause a matchup problem, but at TE, he doesn't get that many looks. I know I heard that Smyrna tried to schedule a game with Maryville this year, only to be told that it wouldn't work out. Smyrna got BA out of the ordeal, so it wasn't a total wash. That game gave this team a whole lot of confidence to know it could go toe to toe with one of the greatest programs in the State's history.

Besides saying Maryville has 60 wins in a row and George Q. (who is an outstanding football coach), what reasons can anybody give to say that Maryville would beat Smyrna "THIS YEAR"?

Maryville = The best in the state of Tennessee and they will win in 5-A after next year

Smyrna = They are not a Maryville yet but they are on their way

Alcoa = Could play in 3-A and 4-A other than Maryville

Maplewood = They played Maryville close

David Lipscomb = A Great program that should be in the private division

Independence = Looked alot better in the 2nd half

Fulton = They have had a good run in 3-A we will see what they do in 4-A after next year with over 1200 students

South Pittsburg = Could not play with Alcoa, Fulton, Maplewood, or David Lipscomb

Goodpasture = Had a good run but could not play with any of the above also should be in the private division

McKenzie = They are a good 1-A team

We could play with and beat DL, Fulton, GP and give Alcoa all they wanted. Maplewood, Maryville, Symrna are just too big and fast. We would give Independence all they wanted for 2 or 3 qtrs...we are faster than they are just couldn't hang with the size and depth.

Any response to this post is pure speculation and opinion, but here goes:

1. Smryna - they would have beat Maplewood worse than Maryville did. Maryville is great but wouldn't win 60 in a row or 4 titles in a row in 5A.

2. Maryville - Top 2 in state for sure the last 4 years. Wouldn't have won 4 in a row in 5A.

3. Alcoa - Great athletes, great coaching, greats speed - a machine

4. Maplewood - proved they are a good team in Maryvillle game. Lots of speed and good athletes.

5. Independence - Mistakes overshadowed their quality. They are a good team that had a bad night.

6. Lipscomb - only above Fulton because they beat them. In 2 out of 3, I believe Fulton wins 2.

7. Fulton - Only behind Lipscomb because they lost.

8. Goodpasture - Deserved rank as #2 2A team.

9. South Pittsburgh - best 1A team by far, but if they are better than teams listed above, the multiplier never would have been established in 1A. Before multiplier, the teams that were multiplied dominated 1A finals (DCA,Boyd, CPA, Ezell, USJ) and Goodpasture consistently beats those teams. SP has always had a great program that dropped out of the 1A title race when the now-multiplied privates started winning the 1A titles. They can now compete for state again.

10. McKenzie.

No disrespect to any of these fine teams that had a great accomplishment to get to Murfreesboro. They deserve all TN. football fans' respect. When you are one of the last 10 playing, you have had a great season.

This is pretty close to how I would rank it but I would be up in the air about Maryville and Smyrna, either 1 could win b/t those 2.....

As for SP, no disrespect what-so-ever, they are a great team, I just dont believe that there speed would be as effective against the final 2 in the other title games. I do however believe that they could potentially be a final 4 team in both 2A and 3A.....

I would assume this opinion is based on DI teams only, because a 3-loss team that lost to a DII-AA team that lost twice to an undefeated DII-AA champion is going to be a hard sell for second best team in the state across all classifications.

I don't think BA or MBA would have beaten Smyrna at the end of the season. Gray was hurt in the 2nd quarter against BA and they still were a few yards from winning that game. It's a moot point anyway.

1. Smyrna - they have all the tools...great passing game...great running game...good defense

2. Maryville- not the same team I've seen...but they are still very good...great execution

3. Maplewood - I was impressed with their discipline and speed...great defense

4. Alcoa - they were very young...but very good at the end of the year

5. Independence - they were shell shocked in the 1st half...but showed in the 2nd what kind of team they had

6. South Pittsburg- they have great speed...but not enough to beat the big boys

7. Goodpasture - their defense was too weak to beat bigger schools

8. David Lipscomb - do they clone those guys? same team they always seem to have...very disciplined

9. Fulton - Fulton was way down from what they have been...but still very good

10.McKenzie - did not play up to their capability...but very good 1a team

I don't think BA or MBA would have beaten Smyrna at the end of the season. Gray was hurt in the 2nd quarter against BA and they still were a few yards from winning that game. It's a moot point anyway.

Yes, it is a moot point. Nevertheless, I am always amazed at how these teams that lose to BA and MBA early in the regular season (e.g., Brentwood High 2002, Ravenwood 2005) are deemed unbeatable at the end in rematches.

Brentwood '02, Ravenwood '05, and Smyrna '07 can have their mythical end-of-season wins; I'll take the real ones any day of the week.