Some thoughts on the Topic

CoachT

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vol Gen your problem is you refeuse to see that there is a problem despite the fact that almost every public school coach sees the problem. You have never met a plan that we have considered that you will even consider! At least I am willing to discuss other plans that might work like the multiplier. My problem is I don't like the multiplier if it still leaves over half of the D1-A private schools in single A. I also think D.L. and Goodpasture should play up to at least AAA and possibly AAAA. The super 7 need to play up to the AAAA and AAAAA levels which they wouldn't under a multiplier of x1.5 or x2. That is why I think if any plan is to have a possibility of winning a majority support it should include a multiplier or x2 for non-financial and x3 for financial aid schools. You sir have no right to want anyone banned for expressing their ideas! You may not like what I have to say but I will continue saying it because I believe it to be true. Private schools have an unfair advantage over the small rural public schools and no plan will work unless there is more equality added. I have said that I would support ELA's plan or I will consider a multiplier approach. My favorite plan is simple, all privates to DII and all publics to DI, but I am willing to consider others. By the way, I don't like your plan previously suggested unless it has a good multiplier added to it, plus I don't think the TSSAA would pass such a plan because they seem to like the four year rotation of schedules (at least for football).

All this time I thought we were talking about the public-private issue, and all along you guys were only talking about football. The numbers do not just apply to football, but probably are even more out of balance in the "minor" sports ,you know all the sports that don't begin with foot...Now don't accuse me of being un-American , I love football as well as anyone, and more than most, but the other sports also make the argument for a separate playoff system for public-private schools, just as there should be a separate playoff system for large and small schools. some of you do not remember the 1960's when many opposed the A,AA,AAA playoff system. Many made the same arguments then, ie, the small schools need to improve if they want to compete, a state championship won't mean anything. Before 1969 the championship was on paper only and truly didn't prove who was best, but many wanted to keep it that way.....The dog howls again

USJ, Ezell-Harding and the top current 1A privates, as well as the not-near-the-top 1A privates shouldn't and wouldn't be against MBA and McCallie, unless they wanted to play regular season non-region games against those types of opponents. That's a weak argument for no split, since 40 teams would be enough for 2, and preferably 3, classes in a Division II.

Five of the current Super Seven schools would be placed in 5A by using a 2.0 multiplier. And the other two (Brentwood Academy and Baylor) always choose to play up when the issue arises, so no problem there.

Presuming no changes in the cut points (which I know isn't valid), a 2.0 would barely move Goodpasture into 3A, a 1.5 would leave them 2A. (They are actually the third-smallest 2A school.) Similarly, David Lipscomb would be pushed up barely to 4A by a 2.0, and into 3A by a 1.5. As for the 1A schools, the only schools that would be moved up by a 2.0 but not a 1.5 are Columbia Academy and Jackson Christian, both of which seem legitimately 1A to me.

As for other sports, using a 1.5 multiplier for Division I schools would put the line between CPA low and FRA high in the case of A v. AA, and a 2.0 would put it between Clarksville and Columbia Academies. Again, I think the 1.5 produces a better result there. David Lipscomb ending up in AAA would be touch-and-go. As for Division II, the 2.0 sets the AA/AAA line exactly on ECS, and the A/AA line between St. Andrews-Sewanee and Fayette Academy.

Indian...that`s not a reason for not splitting. I made that post because there are some people on here who do want a split (citing the unfairness of 1A privates having to play 1A publics) and then turn around and say it would be ok for 1A privates to be competing against the MBA`s. I was just merely pointing out how stupid that sounded. It is also very hypocritical. It`s hard to take someone serious when the best solution they can offer is that. Don`t you think it would be stupid for Trinity Christian to have to compete for the same state title as MBA??

I liked the thought about the other sports

Does anyone want to play CBHS or ECS in baseball.

What about golf...the D2 schools are pretty good.

MUS owns Tennis, and lacrosse (won 4 of the last 5 state lacrosse championships)

Wrestling wise-Ryan, Baylor, McCallie, CBHS and the rest of the teams are all really good.

Basketball wise I saw where Ryan was #5 overall in the state...what about Brentwood Academy last year? David Harrison was pretty tough.

We really should step away from football and think about this, cus I can tell you right now that Tennis, Wrestling, Golf, Lacrosse and a few other sports would be dominated by Private schools.

Lacrosse is not a TSSAA-sanctioned sport, so I don't think the issue there is relevant ::)

Golf and tennis, yes, private schools would likely dominate (since those sports are heavily oriented to the rich, and thus to the kind of kids you find at certain privates). Wrestling, I think, the top public and top private teams would give each other a good fight.