Some thoughts on the Topic

CoachT

In Georgia, a 1.5 multiplier was pushed through by the Speaker of the House (who pretty much acts as State Dictator there, although the current governor wants that title too). The distribution of titles among public and private looks a lot like what you see in Tennessee in the small classes, with the exception of football where the only private school reaching the final four last year was from Atlanta (and there was no way around that given the numbers). In the larger classes, you do have some private powerhouses like Marist and Westminster, along with good public teams.

In Alabama, where the multiplier is just 1.35, all the small privates are regularly eliminated from football in the early rounds. Again, larger private powerhouses (such as Briarwood Christian and UMS-Wright) are in there, and the privates have some sports they dominate, like girls tennis (surprisingly not boys tennis) and cross country.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the link to the plan ELA has proposed earlier;

http://www.coacht.com/boards/thread.cfm?TID=16043

Also, I'm running an article today, at 1EDT, on the Prep Perf Ratings. In that article it states that "the current system picked 13 of the 16 teams that made it to the finals".

If you want to see this article now the link is http://www.coacht.com/story.cfm?doc=4167

from ELA's in a few details.

First, he proposes four public and two private classes; I propose returning to the old single-division structure with five classes, using the multiplier.

Second, I like the Illinois rule that conference champions (conferences are essentially any set of 6-10 teams that choose to be a conference) are automatically in. ELA does not.

As for the rule of selecting teams, while I understand Earl Nall's view that margin of victory is useful in determining the strengths of teams, it does not follow that it should be used in selecting teams for playoffs:

(a) The distinction that is most important is not between #2 and #3, but between #32 and #33 in a class, or between #160 and #161 overall, depending on whether you set the classes before or after selecting the playoff teams. At that level, you're likely to see 5-5 and 4-6 teams, and the need for a finer level of distinction than simple wins and losses is less important than when you are dealing with 9-1 and 10-0 teams.

(;) Should a team miss the playoffs because it chose not to kick a field goal with three seconds left and a one-point lead? Or because it did kick a field goal, but turned out to need a touchdown? Or even because, leading by two, they decided not to risk the game by deliberately conceding a safety to get a better margin in overtime? (This last case actually happened in Mississippi, according to another poster--the team deliberately gave up a safety to force overtime, and made the playoffs by winning by an overtime TD.)

Also, it is probably better if the formula to be used is made publicly available, so that fans who are so inclined can verify that it was applied correctly.

I agree with ELA, I don't think there should be any regions or districts. IF people want to create voluntary districts, they should not have any automatic playoff births! If they finish in the top 16-32 teams, then they earn the right to play in the playoffs, if not, their voluntary district is too weak! I also like the idea of allowing the teams to play whomever they want to play instead of forcing matchups the way we do now. Give teams credit for playing up and let everyone who doesn't make it to the playoffs to play in a bowl game. This would help many schools raise money for their programs and give most teams a 11th football game. In this way, most all schools will play 11 games, and only the very best teams will make it to the playoffs, unlike now, where many terrible teams get blown out in games that should not be played! Combine this with my idea of geogrpahic zones for privates and you may not need the multiplier system!

Indian...look again. In the Nall syaytem it was 12 out of the top 43. I`m going to copy my previous post here in case someone missed it and give you a chance to muster up a better response to these conclusive numbers. I had asked you if my numbers were correct and you failed to answer. Here`s the post..it was so dang good it`s worth repeating..LOL!!!

"Indian, You could also say that there were 12 privates in the top 43 which is true also. Let`s add that up shall we...

16 privates out of 58 teams = .275 % of the teams are private. Got that??

12 privates in the top 43 = .279%

Well gee Indian you have a point. By my calculations the private schools have a .004 % advantage.

That`ll make you go Hmmmmmmmm!!!!

Indian...please let me know if those numbers aren`t right."

It's the top 5 that bothers me. I also think the ratings are extremely close. The 1a state championship was played a week early or whenever USJ played Ezell Harding this past year. I saw the game it could have gone either way. It looked to me like USJ may have been a little more talented then Ezell. Of course, that championship game should have bee for the privates, and Collinwood and Cloudland should have played the championship for the publics. Bruceton was really good to, but just happened to play on the wrong end of town. Got beat out by a private school, too bad for them. The only fair thing IMO is the multiplier. I know it's not fair to the small private schools that do stay under their salary cap, LOL, but the best ones won't move up on their on so there's not much more you can do. The reason that there's such a big difference with the private schools winning the last couple of years, instead of the last 10, a lot of them have just got really interested in football recently. This shows you how quickly they can become a powerhouse. The Cloudlands, South Pitt, Collinwood, Moore county, and other small public schools have been around for a long time. It's really not fair to them when they do get an opportunity, once in a blue moon, to win a state championship to be knocked out by a private school. I'm totally in favor of the multipler, but not four classifications. That still leaves the smaller schools playing teams 2 and 3 times their size. To be quite honest, I'm just like the privates, I won't it to be fixed some way to where we can win all the championships. We may still lose some ball games, but at least they'll be using the same deck that we are.

From the Nall stats:

1999-

1. CPA

4. USJ

6. Boyd-Buchanan

8. FRA

10. Ezell-Harding

11. Jackson Christian

17. DCA

18. Davidson Academy

27. Columbia Academy

29. Friendship Christian

There were only 14 private schools listed, 51 teams total I think. 6 of the first 11 (54.5 percent) with 27.5 percent of the teams in the class being private that year, double the average for the first 11. The higher you go the lower the percentage is (8 of 20 or 25), but we're talking about the top teams and there were just 14 total private. The other four, don't want to bash them since you can figure them out, were way down the list.

2000-

1. CPA

2. USJ

4. DCA

6. FRA

9. Boyd-Buchanan

12. Columbia Academy

13. Nashville Christian

15. Friendship Christian

17. Ezell-Harding

22. Davidson Academy

Nine of the top 17, 53 percent, again with there being only 14 of 51 private that year, 27.45 percent. If 17 seems like an odd number to take a percentage from, look at the first 10, (5 of 10, 50 percent) or the first 20 (9 of 20, 45 percent) both way up from 27 percent. 10 of the 14 were in the top 40 percent, roughly (22 of 51 teams). The other 4 ranked low again.

[Edited by Indian on 6/26/02 6:27P]

VolunteerGeneral is not the only one who can figure, is he? I know it would be time consuming, and don't even worry about figuring it on my account, but I bet if you did all the sports it would be even higher. Especially when your talking about the top five. Great post indian. It's getting fishier all the time. IMO they should move up or move out!

Indian...why do you stay in denial about my numbers?? Iasked you if the numbers I posted were right or wrong. I`ll ask again...are my numbers according to Nall, right or wrong???

Pujo..the only thing fishy is Indian`s denial of the facts. You can believe who you want. If you want to be Indian`s lap child too that`s ok. But only 12 of the top 43 in Nall`s poll was private. That`s .279%. In total there are 16 private school`s out of 58. That is .275 pujo. Those stats don`t lie. I know it is hard for you to admit, but thats the facts. Pujo....Am I right or wrong? Are you man enough to admit the truth??? And don`t forget...you told me you`re not afraid to answer any questions.

29 Copper Basin

30 Huntland

31 Whitwell

32 West Carroll

33 Coalfield

34 Jellico

35 Monterey

36 Watertown

37 Sunbright

38 Perry County

39 Lake County

40 McEwen

41 Powell Valley

42 Oakdale

43 Lookout Valley

12 privates in the top 43

General, I thought you could look at it and understand. 12 of the top 28 isn't the same as 12 of the top 43. 12 of the top 43 is assuming the 12th is #43. All of your #29 through #43 are behind the the #12 private school, and have no meaning when debating the strength of #1-#12 privates when it comes to this particular study. Simple enough?