Some thoughts on the Topic

CoachT

CoachT...I don`t think percentages should be looked at that hard or taken too seriously. What would happen if you looked at the percentages and found that teams from Middle Tennessee won an unusual percentage of state championships? I doubt people would say middle Tennessee teams should play in a different division. I think a lot of people are prejudiced against private schools. I attended one and heard the same type comments that I hear people on hear say some 20+ years later. I hear so many stereotype comments on private schools. There are a lot of very ignorant people (and coaches) who posts on this board. It`s very easy to detect, if they truly believe what they post.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go. Take clear and meaningful statistics and results and make a comparison with a nonsensical argument on midstate teams. Not all comparisons are created equal. What's your reasoning on all the state titles won by 1A and Class A private schools this year? (remember, 42 teams to 16.)

Indian...you take the "fly off the handle approach" on that matter. You look at one year and we have to split. Why not look at the last decade? Anyone with rational sense would know that you get a better sampling that way. Wouldn`t you agree on that point? Public schools won 7 of 10 state titles. That`s over a 10 year period Indian. Why can`t you accept that instead of the knee jerk approach you take by looking at one year?

Also...what is so horribly wrong with the concept of a private school being good. Would you be calling for public schools to be kicked out of 1A if private schools were hoorible. What`s so bad about 5 or 6 public schools that offer good competition?

Also...there has been no one dominant private school in football. Several have had a good team in any one year and won a state championship, but only one team DCA has ever won more than one state title and they`ve won 2. Overall you find more public schools that have been the dominate teams.

Indian, You could also say that there were 12 privates in the top 43 which is true also. Let`s add that up shall we...

16 privates out of 58 teams = .275 % of the teams are private. Got that??

12 privates in the top 43 = .279%

Well gee Indian you have a point. By my calculations the private schools have a .004 % advantage.

That`ll make you go Hmmmmmmmm!!!!

Indian...please let me know if those numbers aren`t right.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 6/26/02 12:42A]

The problem I see in adding enrollment numbers to a school if they win a championship is the lag time. Say CPA wins state in 01. If I understand your proposal correctly, CPA would bump up, but not until 05.

01 is the first year of 2 year game contracts and the first year of 4 year region alignments. Neither are flexible. Game contracts are binding and TSSAA will not go through the agony of re-alignment every year or even every other year.

Didn't ELA have a plan like that on the other board? Volunteer Gen. I like Silverpie and ELA's plans without any regions. Let everyone schedule who they want and let Earl NAlls computer program pick the top 16 or 32 teams in the state to face each other in the playoffs. Let all of the privates play each other and the publics play each other in the playoffs until the final game(s). Everyone gets to pisk who they play in the regular season!

silverpie,

I think the 1.5 or 2 multiplier is probably the easiest solution to implement though I'm sure some folks will still find this unacceptable.

Is anyone aware if the public/private debate rages in states who use this method like Georgia? If not, the TSSAA should seriously look at it.