Some thoughts on the Topic

CoachT

I think a multiplier or a split is the best...

Problem with the split is coaches will still complain...USJ CPA Ezell and other teams will still beat a lot of 2A teams...and they will cry foul, with obvious reason.

There is no perfect way, I don't hear people from Memphis talk about how bad it is to play the privates, cus we dont have 1a football public or private schools...I think we could if we wanted to, but teams play up in basketball and it just makes it easier to schedule.

In basketball the Memphis teams would destroy the 1A teams...no doubt in my mind, I will argue that to the death, many teams choose to play up instead of playing 1A or 2A in basketball...they would beat the private schools in basketbal and it wouldn't even matter one bit...Baseball golf wrestling and football I must give the advantage to private schools.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I said that I didn't care about stats, that is not really true. I love stats and you were exactly right about the domiinance in 1A by privates. What I meant was that you don't necessarily need stats to see that private schools and public schools are different and must follow different rules. By the way, did you see where the supreme court ruled school vouchers legal today. All you privateers better be careful, when your school accepts government money(vouchers) then government regulation, ie, special ed, no religion, etc. will surely follow.

Silerpie, if you use a multiplier and combine DI and DII, I think it would need to be x2 for non-financial aid schools and at least x3 for financial aid schools! Otherwise, you still have BA and the medium size financial aid schools playing in less than class 5A. I also think you will have more of the 3A and 4A schools complaining in two years if you combine both divisions again!

Brentwood Academy is a complete anomaly--but remember, they have always played up except for the one year they screwed up the paperwork. Right now, they could be playing in the medium class of Division II, but they instead choose to compete in the large class.

And I don't think "other schools will complain" is a valid argument--TSSAA needs to look out for the interests of high school sports in Tennessee as a whole.

By using a figure of x3 as a multiplier for schools who provide financial aid, it would place them into a class with Riverdale and the very best public schools. Your smaller private schools would still be in 1A and 2A but Goodpasture and D.L. would play in AAA or AAAA based on their current enrollment (x2). It is the only way any public school will accept if it is put to a vote!

Here`s what I think....

The next person who says they want a split because they claim things are unfair for 1A public schools and then turns around and says that schools like USJ,Jackson Christian, and Trinity Christian should be competing against the likes of MBA should be banned from this board until their stupidity wears off.

That`s my opinion!....What`s yours???

heck-oo? David Lipscomb and Goodpasture (for example) do not give financial aid--or else they're breaking the rules as they now stand, and the answer is to punish that, not to penalize other schools for it. I shudder at the thought of a region game between Austin-East and CAK, which a 3 multiplier would create...