9AA Tourney

CPA4Ever

CPA vs. David Lipscomb for the District Championship on Tuesday at MLK. Predictions?

DL will have to control tempo to limit CPA's offensive opportunities and shoot it well to limit CPA's fast break. And they better pull off some type of defensive game plan to at least limit Mason and Miller. When those guys can combine for 50+ points a night, you better do something. 50 points is enough to win a lot of high school games. In my view, that is the Mustangs only real chance. It is relatively simple. CPA gets easier basket than other teams because of Mason. Anytime they need a basket, just throw it up to him, he is going to get it and provide a great chance of points. His shooting % must be phenomenal. Of course the way he dunks helps that percentage. And Mason makes it hard for the other team to get easy baskets. His defensive presence is strong and if there is a rebound up for grabs and he wants it, he is going to get it. Mason's and Miller's talents elevate the play of the others.

There is a very small window of opportunity to beat CPA and you'd better take advantage because it won't stay open long. PC mised out on theirs. In the other game, Lipscomb had a 39-21 lead over FRA and then went into a long dry spell allowing FRA to cut it to two. FRA had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead, but had a turnover. To Lipsomb's credit, they did what was necessary to win, but won't be able to afford that type of long dry spell against CPA.

I will stand by my earlier post. CPA is a huge favorite to win. The Mustangs were 1 of 2 teams that had at least a chance at winning 3 district tournament games and they still have that chance. It is going to take a great team effort though, 32 minutes+ of very good, consistent play.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to have the pleasure to see most of all four games last night. A few quick thoughts on a great evening.

What a pleasure to see the balanced mixed of public schools and private schools competing. The fans and atmosphere at the old Pearl High was awesome. Despite the parking issue, MLK did a great job hosting this event. I think 9AA is a great example of why it is important to keep private schools and public schools together. The diviersity and respect the fans, coaches, and players showed last night should be an example to all. We need a world where people from different ethnic and economic backgrounds come together in fellowship, not isolate themselves and create division and suspicion.

On to the games -

East Lit def CPA -

What a ride East Lit is on. They are getting better every play. This game was close early, but CPA found scoring hard to come by in the fourth. #00 for East Lit has excellent shot blocking instincts and really controlled the inside. The administration at East High must be thrilled with their new coach and all she has done with these girls. This is a program that was in disarray in 10A, now they are competing for a AA district title. Great Job. I don't think we've heard the last from the CPA girls either. Hardeman can really shoot it and Coach Ellson is doing a great job.

Lipscomb def FRA -

The administrators and coaches in 9AA dropped the ball. Having quarterfinal and semifinal games on back-to-back nights is ridiculous. I sat and spoke with the FRA fans during this game and they said their boys were coming off a grueling Qtr game with MLK on Thursday. MLK had been hot, winnning three of four and beating Pearl on the road. FRA, who finished with the same win/loss and common opponent totals as Lipscomb, lost a coin flip. This is all well and good and coin flips have generally been accepted as the best way to break these ties. However, there was a huge difference between hosting an East Lit team that is very young and has been struggling, and having to play a MLK team on a roll with a good coach and the added motivation that the tournament was at their gym. From what I hear the MLK/FRA game was intense and physical, while Lipscomb didn't face much of a challenge and was able to rest many of their regulars in the second half against East Lit (DL had 11 players score!). The FRA fans are warranted in their complaint that to have to face Lipscomb on less than 24 hours rest was a tough and unfair task. Why not play Thurs/Sat giving all teams rest and a chance to prepare? Lipscomb showed their fresh legs by shooting the lights out in the first half (I heard the FRA scorekeeper mention that DL was 8-10 from three in the first half). The interesting thing is FRA should have won this game. They took DL's best shot and still cut the lead to 1 with around 6 min. to play (and they had the ball). But they could never take the lead and Lipscomb controlled the clock forcing FRA to foul. Lipscomb sealed the game at the line. The Simpson boys were great for Lipscomb. Kennedy was awesome for FRA. Just a fun game to watch, I just wish both teams were playing with a little more rest. These teams will be a tough match-up at region that's for sure, really well coached and they both play as hard as any teams you'll see.

Ezell def Hume-Fogg -

Ezell is good. Really good. They handled a strong and athletic HF team. The HF girls are coming off a huge win over FRA and seemed like a sleeper. However after a close first quarter Ezell tightened up on 'D' and poured it on. Davis was really good and McAlister showed why she is an MVP. But she is not a one girl show. I was impressed with Ezell's depth and skill. They obviously have been great for years, but this years group could do something special. Hume Fogg has had a great year, but the will need to handle pressure better to beat CPA and advance in Region.

CPA def Pearl -

The score is a bit deceiving. Pearl played hard, if not well, most of the game. As always Z Mason was tough to handle and the shooters got hot early, but Pearl hung around. Pesky defense, Carter and McLaurin were really active, and calm leadership from football sensation D Mason gave Pearl a real shot towards the end of the third. They had a chance to cut the CPA lead to three or four several times, but couldn't convert. The CPA zone gave them fits and Z was too much to handle inside. One strange note - the officials seemed to call loose games all night. Not many fouls and teams were allowed to be physical. However, there was a three or four minute stretch in the second quarter where every call seemed to go against Pearl - touch fouls that hadn't been called all-night and some questionable rebounding calls. Anyway it was enough to keep them a bit off balance. By the end of the half things had become more balanced. Was this because of the loud Pearl fans sitting courtside? Whatever it was Coach Wharton seemed a bit confused and preturbed by it. It certainly didn't make the difference in the game, but it was odd none-the-less. Anyway, CPA seems to live on their ability to score in bunches, as they did at the end of the third and into the fourth, but the question has to be asked - What happens when that spurt never comes and the rim gets a bit smaller? Despite their greatness, and they are great, they are vunerable because of their inconsistency. At the district and region level this might not be a problem. At sub-state and state???? Either way they have had a great season. The kids genuinely seem to like eachother and play hard for eachother. Despite the fact that they have several great players (Mason and Miller for sure) they don't carry a lot of ego. I look forward to seein how they handle a hot shootin Lipscomb team tuesday.

All-in-all a great night. My son was there, not playing unfortunately, but he got to see a great night of basketball. He saw great coaching, great players, great sportsmanship, and experienced a great atmosphere. It is good to see that high school basketball is alive and flourishing in 9AA.

By the way - cheers to Doc Shelton. He made many new fans by putting on sweats and using a broom and dust pan to keep the court clean between games. He is one in a million and has my respect.

Guest bballmom10

I agree. The parking situation was quite difficult, but MLK did a very good job with the amount of security outside as well as inside. The people at the gate were very friendly and Doc was a great host. He was very patient and sweet with Lipscomb's number 1 fan, Chuck Ross. I think the old school atmosphere of that gym brings the fans right into the game and it was fun to watch all of the teams play so well. Good job MLK

I was fortunate to have the pleasure to see most of all four games last night. A few quick thoughts on a great evening.

What a pleasure to see the balanced mixed of public schools and private schools competing. The fans and atmosphere at the old Pearl High was awesome. Despite the parking issue, MLK did a great job hosting this event. I think 9AA is a great example of why it is important to keep private schools and public schools together. The diviersity and respect the fans, coaches, and players showed last night should be an example to all. We need a world where people from different ethnic and economic backgrounds come together in fellowship, not isolate themselves and create division and suspicion.

On to the games -

East Lit def CPA -

What a ride East Lit is on. They are getting better every play. This game was close early, but CPA found scoring hard to come by in the fourth. #00 for East Lit has excellent shot blocking instincts and really controlled the inside. The administration at East High must be thrilled with their new coach and all she has done with these girls. This is a program that was in disarray in 10A, now they are competing for a AA district title. Great Job. I don't think we've heard the last from the CPA girls either. Hardeman can really shoot it and Coach Ellson is doing a great job.

Lipscomb def FRA -

The administrators and coaches in 9AA dropped the ball. Having quarterfinal and semifinal games on back-to-back nights is ridiculous. I sat and spoke with the FRA fans during this game and they said their boys were coming off a grueling Qtr game with MLK on Thursday. MLK had been hot, winnning three of four and beating Pearl on the road. FRA, who finished with the same win/loss and common opponent totals as Lipscomb, lost a coin flip. This is all well and good and coin flips have generally been accepted as the best way to break these ties. However, there was a huge difference between hosting an East Lit team that is very young and has been struggling, and having to play a MLK team on a roll with a good coach and the added motivation that the tournament was at their gym. From what I hear the MLK/FRA game was intense and physical, while Lipscomb didn't face much of a challenge and was able to rest many of their regulars in the second half against East Lit (DL had 11 players score!). The FRA fans are warranted in their complaint that to have to face Lipscomb on less than 24 hours rest was a tough and unfair task. Why not play Thurs/Sat giving all teams rest and a chance to prepare? Lipscomb showed their fresh legs by shooting the lights out in the first half (I heard the FRA scorekeeper mention that DL was 8-10 from three in the first half). The interesting thing is FRA should have won this game. They took DL's best shot and still cut the lead to 1 with around 6 min. to play (and they had the ball). But they could never take the lead and Lipscomb controlled the clock forcing FRA to foul. Lipscomb sealed the game at the line. The Simpson boys were great for Lipscomb. Kennedy was awesome for FRA. Just a fun game to watch, I just wish both teams were playing with a little more rest. These teams will be a tough match-up at region that's for sure, really well coached and they both play as hard as any teams you'll see.

Ezell def Hume-Fogg -

Ezell is good. Really good. They handled a strong and athletic HF team. The HF girls are coming off a huge win over FRA and seemed like a sleeper. However after a close first quarter Ezell tightened up on 'D' and poured it on. Davis was really good and McAlister showed why she is an MVP. But she is not a one girl show. I was impressed with Ezell's depth and skill. They obviously have been great for years, but this years group could do something special. Hume Fogg has had a great year, but the will need to handle pressure better to beat CPA and advance in Region.

CPA def Pearl -

The score is a bit deceiving. Pearl played hard, if not well, most of the game. As always Z Mason was tough to handle and the shooters got hot early, but Pearl hung around. Pesky defense, Carter and McLaurin were really active, and calm leadership from football sensation D Mason gave Pearl a real shot towards the end of the third. They had a chance to cut the CPA lead to three or four several times, but couldn't convert. The CPA zone gave them fits and Z was too much to handle inside. One strange note - the officials seemed to call loose games all night. Not many fouls and teams were allowed to be physical. However, there was a three or four minute stretch in the second quarter where every call seemed to go against Pearl - touch fouls that hadn't been called all-night and some questionable rebounding calls. Anyway it was enough to keep them a bit off balance. By the end of the half things had become more balanced. Was this because of the loud Pearl fans sitting courtside? Whatever it was Coach Wharton seemed a bit confused and preturbed by it. It certainly didn't make the difference in the game, but it was odd none-the-less. Anyway, CPA seems to live on their ability to score in bunches, as they did at the end of the third and into the fourth, but the question has to be asked - What happens when that spurt never comes and the rim gets a bit smaller? Despite their greatness, and they are great, they are vunerable because of their inconsistency. At the district and region level this might not be a problem. At sub-state and state???? Either way they have had a great season. The kids genuinely seem to like eachother and play hard for eachother. Despite the fact that they have several great players (Mason and Miller for sure) they don't carry a lot of ego. I look forward to seein how they handle a hot shootin Lipscomb team tuesday.

All-in-all a great night. My son was there, not playing unfortunately, but he got to see a great night of basketball. He saw great coaching, great players, great sportsmanship, and experienced a great atmosphere. It is good to see that high school basketball is alive and flourishing in 9AA.

By the way - cheers to Doc Shelton. He made many new fans by putting on sweats and using a broom and dust pan to keep the court clean between games. He is one in a million and has my respect.

I must say that parking was reallly an issue, but that MLK made up for it with their hospitality inside the doors. When hosting tournaments...schools must make plans for parking. The parking situation almost sent me home.

I'm thrilled to see CPA and DL in the final. I think the DL boys are finally thinking basketball vs. football. It took a while for the team (which is composed of a LOT of football players) to come down off an incredible state championship football season back to the hardwood. The thing about DL, is they are locked and loaded. They have seven or eight on their bench that can hurt the first string on most teams.

If CPA goes cold at three point shooting and has to soley rely on Z, the game goes to DL. If CPA's outside game falls into place, there is no way that DL can play man-to-man, because that opens up Z. It will really depend on who's hot or not outside. That will define the defenses. I know a lot of teams think playing m-2-m against DL is the way to go. Wrong. Hudson, Webb, and Hillen can HURT you if you go this way. CPA knows this from their first OT game with DL. If the teams are cold, rebounding could be the the determination. Z is going to have the edge. I will say that while Z may have the height, he may not have the ability to control Webb, who it seems like has springs in his shoes. Webb also is a smart player, and knows how to position himself to draw some over the backs and has no fear of jumping in the lane to pull a charge. The fact that Webb has such a strong supporting cast at post may make him a little more fearless.

I'm glad both of these teams are going on to the region. Since DL is FINALLY playing basketball, I'll optimistically go with DL by 3.

People have posted their opinion abou why CPA is undefeated and how to beat them, such as:

-- Z gets all easy baskets and dunks

-- Maybe CPA will get cold from outside and they can't win without outside shot.

-- Stop Miller and/or Mason and you can win

-- Play them zone and hope they miss.

-- Don't let them score in bunches

-- Slow the game down and don't let them run

Etc., etc.

Well, here is the reality from someone who has seen them play about 15 games and seen them play every District opponent.

-- CPA is great because they are quick and play great defense. They double team and overplay the ball, and can afford to gamble that way because Z or Petersen will not let a breakdown result in an easy basket in the paint. So if you beat the double team or overplay, someone else picks up the ball or Z and Petersen contests the shot in the paint.

-- If you don't make really good open looks in the halfcourt, you cannot beat them. You won't get many fast breaks or 1/2 court offense layups, so you better get your shooters open and they better be hot.

-- CPA is not just Z and Miller. All starting 5 can run, create opportunities, pass, and shoot. Granted, if Z is shooting well, you can forget it, but if he is not, and if Miller is a bit off, Anderson and Reeves are capable of scoring in double figures and have done so a lot. Petersen doesn't shoot a lot, but he plays great D, get s a lot of rebounds, and runs the floor well. Anderson would probably be the leading scorer on most of the other teams inthe District if he played for them.

-- Pressure D doesn't hurt CPA much with Miller, Anderson, and Reeves all good ball handlers. Plus, if they get loose, Z is waiting for the downcourt pass. You may get a turnover or two, but you will give up a lot more easy baskets. You have to play them tough in the 1/2 court, try to deny the pass to Z in the paint, and hope CPA is cold outside.

Lipscomb must shoot very well to win (not just one player, because the best shooter will be guarded by Anderson-the best defender in the District), and hope CPA has an off night.

I say CPA 72-57

People have posted their opinion abou why CPA is undefeated and how to beat them, such as:-- Z gets all easy baskets and dunks-- Maybe CPA will get cold from outside and they can't win without outside shot.-- Stop Miller and/or Mason and you can win-- Play them zone and hope they miss.-- Don't let them score in bunches-- Slow the game down and don't let them runEtc., etc.Well, here is the reality from someone who has seen them play about 15 games and seen them play every District opponent.-- CPA is great because they are quick and play great defense. They double team and overplay the ball, and can afford to gamble that way because Z or Petersen will not let a breakdown result in an easy basket in the paint. So if you beat the double team or overplay, someone else picks up the ball or Z and Petersen contests the shot in the paint.-- If you don't make really good open looks in the halfcourt, you cannot beat them. You won't get many fast breaks or 1/2 court offense layups, so you better get your shooters open and they better be hot.-- CPA is not just Z and Miller. All starting 5 can run, create opportunities, pass, and shoot. Granted, if Z is shooting well, you can forget it, but if he is not, and if Miller is a bit off, Anderson and Reeves are capable of scoring in double figures and have done so a lot. Petersen doesn't shoot a lot, but he plays great D, get s a lot of rebounds, and runs the floor well. Anderson would probably be the leading scorer on most of the other teams inthe District if he played for them.-- Pressure D doesn't hurt CPA much with Miller, Anderson, and Reeves all good ball handlers. Plus, if they get loose, Z is waiting for the downcourt pass. You may get a turnover or two, but you will give up a lot more easy baskets. You have to play them tough in the 1/2 court, try to deny the pass to Z in the paint, and hope CPA is cold outside.Lipscomb must shoot very well to win (not just one player, because the best shooter will be guarded by Anderson-the best defender in the District), and hope CPA has an off night.I say CPA 72-57

In order for Lipscomb to win, they must score more points than CPA

People have posted their opinion abou why CPA is undefeated and how to beat them, such as:-- Z gets all easy baskets and dunks-- Maybe CPA will get cold from outside and they can't win without outside shot.-- Stop Miller and/or Mason and you can win-- Play them zone and hope they miss.-- Don't let them score in bunches-- Slow the game down and don't let them runEtc., etc.Well, here is the reality from someone who has seen them play about 15 games and seen them play every District opponent.-- CPA is great because they are quick and play great defense. They double team and overplay the ball, and can afford to gamble that way because Z or Petersen will not let a breakdown result in an easy basket in the paint. So if you beat the double team or overplay, someone else picks up the ball or Z and Petersen contests the shot in the paint.-- If you don't make really good open looks in the halfcourt, you cannot beat them. You won't get many fast breaks or 1/2 court offense layups, so you better get your shooters open and they better be hot.-- CPA is not just Z and Miller. All starting 5 can run, create opportunities, pass, and shoot. Granted, if Z is shooting well, you can forget it, but if he is not, and if Miller is a bit off, Anderson and Reeves are capable of scoring in double figures and have done so a lot. Petersen doesn't shoot a lot, but he plays great D, get s a lot of rebounds, and runs the floor well. Anderson would probably be the leading scorer on most of the other teams inthe District if he played for them.-- Pressure D doesn't hurt CPA much with Miller, Anderson, and Reeves all good ball handlers. Plus, if they get loose, Z is waiting for the downcourt pass. You may get a turnover or two, but you will give up a lot more easy baskets. You have to play them tough in the 1/2 court, try to deny the pass to Z in the paint, and hope CPA is cold outside.Lipscomb must shoot very well to win (not just one player, because the best shooter will be guarded by Anderson-the best defender in the District), and hope CPA has an off night.I say CPA 72-57

In order for Lipscomb to win, they must score more points than CPA

who are you kidding jp (jake peterson) he isnt that great... a good trash guy yes but every team has one.. any player who only takes lay-ups and wide open shots had better be shooting 80%.. not hatin on him or anything hes solid role player

side note: neither FRA nor Pearl came to play tonight it was a very ugly game FRA finally built some intensity at the end and after the technical was called i think Pearl threw in the towel it looks like FRA will be matched up with Spring Hill and Pearl with Giles Co.

who are you kidding jp (jake peterson) he isnt that great... a good trash guy yes but every team has one.. any player who only takes lay-ups and wide open shots had better be shooting 80%.. not hatin on him or anything hes solid role player

side note: neither FRA nor Pearl came to play tonight it was a very ugly game FRA finally built some intensity at the end and after the technical was called i think Pearl threw in the towel it looks like FRA will be matched up with Spring Hill and Pearl with Giles Co.

Yeahhh those are usually the types of shots you want to take. I wonder how he manages to get wide open shots...probably because he's just a trash player right?

Yeahhh those are usually the types of shots you want to take. I wonder how he manages to get wide open shots...probably because he's just a trash player right?

exactly... its easy to be open when you have everyone helping in on Z in the post and helping off to defend miller and anderson when they drive in thats how he gets open the only time he creates his own shot is off an offensive rebound (thus trash points) still no disrespect intended