Region 1 AAA

TommyMan37604

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dobyns-Bennett completes the season sweep of the Hilltoppers with a 64-59 victory on a Todd Halvorsen 3 pointer with 3 seconds left in the game. DB was up by as much as 18 points in the first half but got complacent at the time when Science Hill was turning up their pressure. This has got to the 1st time one team has beaten Science Hill 4 times in one season, but the Indians got it done.

With the win, DB goes undefeated against ALL Big 9 teams throughout the entire season. They won the Conference Championship, District tournament Championship, and Region tournament Championship. How's that for a season?

On a side note, it was good to see that the Northeast Tennessee refs did not fail to disappoint in one of their last games of the season throwing out another spectator. I realize that refereeing is not a desireable job by most, but can the TSSAA not find anyone better than this?

I only got to listen to the first half, how did DB win bt 5 if they won it on a Todd Halversen 3 pointer with 3 seconds left?

DB still can't put a complete game together. They were taking it to the Toppers in the first half, then just stopped playing. I don't get it. But they did win. Beating Science Hill 4 times in one season is a major deal. I don't think anyone has ever done that. Probably is rare that two teams even play each other 4 times. Did anybody see Gilligan at the game? I heard he was driving the "Topper Short Buss"

If the Indians don't put a complete game together against Bearden it could get ugly.

I only got to listen to the first half, how did DB win bt 5 if they won it on a Todd Halversen 3 pointer with 3 seconds left?

DB still can't put a complete game together. They were taking it to the Toppers in the first half, then just stopped playing. I don't get it. But they did win. Beating Science Hill 4 times in one season is a major deal. I don't think anyone has ever done that. Probably is rare that two teams even play each other 4 times. Did anybody see Gilligan at the game? I heard he was driving the "Topper Short Buss"

If the Indians don't put a complete game together against Bearden it could get ugly.

Halvorsen hit the 3 with 3.2 seconds on the clock. Science Hill called a timeout and immediately following the timeout Gray threw the ball away trying to get it to Odem. The ball was then inbounded to Sylvester who knocked down 2 free throws for the 5 pt win. I guess technically they did not win on Halvorsen's 3 pointer, but it was the shot that put the nail in the coffin.

I agree with your assessment for Monday's game. Bearden is a very good team that will hand it to DB if they do not play with more intensity than they have shown ALL year, and keep that intensity up for 32 minutes.

I thought about starting a separate thread about this, and I still might, but.....I have really learned this year that apparently it must be the parents that keep Coacht rolling. Here's what I mean; not two years ago, between D-B football, hoops, and baseball, this board was flooded. I've noticed all winter that despite our basketball team steam rolling everyone, the traffic here has been minimal. It was the same with football. One would have thought that after embarrassing Gilligan, the board would have been full of the D-B faithful forcing crow over that way (again). However, it must be cycles of different parents that make Coacht click. Some apparently are very computer active and some apparently are not. It's amazing that we just whipped our rival for the 4th time this year and there's virtually nothing said about it. Now if the shoe was on the other foot......

I agree that DB can't close out games. They were up by 18 LATE in the 2nd qtr and should have been able to cruise from there. Quick shots, poor defense, can't take the last shot of a quarter twice (2nd, 3rd), not hitting consistantly from outside, missed several "chippies". They played like they were behind by 18 instead of in front. But give Science Hill credit for not mailing it in. I think they could give Oak Ridge a run for there money both playing the up and down game.

It is rare even for DB/The Hill to hook up 4 times much less either team sweep. I think they met 5 times in the 92-93 season with DB winning all the matchups with one being in the Arby's. That was the JaMichael Mills team that was #1 in the state and rolled into Murfreesboro...only to go one and done. Skunk can verify/correct that I'm sure but I'm pretty sure they played 5 times that year.

Bearden will be a tough challenge no doubt. DB hasn't been able to play interior defense lately without getting into serious foul trouble as evidenced by Science Hill going to the line 92 times in there 4 meetings this season. WOW! That can't bode well when Bearden I'm sure will rely on there 6-9, 260lb post man.

I agree that DB can't close out games. They were up by 18 LATE in the 2nd qtr and should have been able to cruise from there. Quick shots, poor defense, can't take the last shot of a quarter twice (2nd, 3rd), not hitting consistantly from outside, missed several "chippies". They played like they were behind by 18 instead of in front. But give Science Hill credit for not mailing it in. I think they could give Oak Ridge a run for there money both playing the up and down game.

It is rare even for DB/The Hill to hook up 4 times much less either team sweep. I think they met 5 times in the 92-93 season with DB winning all the matchups with one being in the Arby's. That was the JaMichael Mills team that was #1 in the state and rolled into Murfreesboro...only to go one and done. Skunk can verify/correct that I'm sure but I'm pretty sure they played 5 times that year.

Bearden will be a tough challenge no doubt. DB hasn't been able to play interior defense lately without getting into serious foul trouble as evidenced by Science Hill going to the line 92 times in there 4 meetings this season. WOW! That can't bode well when Bearden I'm sure will rely on there 6-9, 260lb post man.

maroonandgrey,

D-B did play Science Hill five (5) times in '92-93...but D-B only won four (4) of those games...lost the first one at home and then won the next four on the way to an Arby's championship, regular season championship, district tournament championship, and regional tournament championship (won that one by 30+ @ Freedom Hall)...lost to Memphis Fairley (an undefeated team) in the quarterfinals of the state...talked with Coach Shipley today and he remembered that we had gone 3-1 against Science Hill in '91-92; losing in the regional finals...we lost to Brainerd in the state semis after JaMichael had broken his arm...

This years D-B team is the first to win the regular season title, district tournament title, and regional tournament title in the same year since Shipley's '92-93 team...

Roll Tribe Roll

D-B has had six(6) seasons with a regular season, district, & regional championship since Coach Van Huss came to Dobyns-Bennett:

year record final game coach

69-70 32-6 state semis Coach Van Huss

71-72 38-3 3rd place/state Coach Van Huss

74-75 34-3 state semis Coach Van Huss

80-81 36-1 state quarters Coach Van Huss

92-93 35-2 state quarters Coach Shipley

07-08 29-3 ??????? Coach Morgan

92-93 also won the Arby's championship.

This is Coach Morgan's 5th trip to the substate/sectionals in his eight years at D-B...beat Farragut in 02-03; beat Bearden in 03-04; lost to Bearden in 05-06; lost to Powell in 06-07...both the wins were played in the Buck Van Huss Dome and both the losses were played on the road...Marshall Hardy's uncle, Mark Elliott, was the starting point guard for the 74-75 team, it was Marko's junior year...

Roll Tribe Roll

I thought somewhere in there DB played in the final against Gallatin for the State Championship. Skip Brown and company?

WaCo,

They did, that was in 72-73, but they were second in the Big 9 (as well as second in the state) and there have been many other trips to the state tournament during this period of time, but these are the only regular season, district tournament, and regional tournament champs...the others have lost the district or regional or not won the conference and still made it to the state...

Roll Tribe Roll