Is this a violation of some sort?

RUBlind!!!

A friend of my son was trying out for baseball a couple of weeks ago. He was asked to come back for a second day. It just so happens that the kid was a sophomore that played football. Sometime before the the 2nd day the kid "decided" he needed to lift weights and get stronger for football because he might possibly be able to start next fall, if he was stronger and could put on some weight. I might add that the kid is 5 foot 2 or 3 and weighs about 150. The baseball coaches never even saw the kid again. Several of the baseball players said the kid looked awesome on the first day and would probably have started on JV. I wonder why the kid changed his mind so abruptly? Based on some of the statements in other posts in this thread, I think we can determine that someone got in his head. No one but the kid really knows.

I'll go a step further.......even parents are intimidated by these coaches. They learn very quickly where they as parents stand when it comes to their kids and other sports. It's a frustrating thing to sit and watch two coaches from opposite sports eyeball you downmuch like the mafia would over territory. They compete against each other for a player......they know what to say and who to say it around. Most of the time it can't ever be proven.

Here's a great opportunity for the great tssaa to show how much they care about our kids.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go a step further.......even parents are intimidated by these coaches. They learn very quickly where they as parents stand when it comes to their kids and other sports. It's a frustrating thing to sit and watch two coaches from opposite sports eyeball you downmuch like the mafia would over territory. They compete against each other for a player......they know what to say and who to say it around. Most of the time it can't ever be proven.

Here's a great opportunity for the great tssaa to show how much they care about our kids.

I wonder if we are all chatting about the same few football coaches or if there are just a lot of coaches that operate that way? I heard the mother of a young football/baseball player a couple of years ago complaining to some other parents about the pressure put on her son to try to make an arrangement with the baseball coach so that he could make it to weight lifting and miss part of baseball practice, since he was "only playing JV" baseball. When one of the other parents suggested she go talk to the football coach, she said, "I don't talk to that man, he scares me."

Why's that? You don't see nothing wrong with allowing kids to be free to pick and choose sports without mental pressures from adults? Especially those being paid to look out for the kid's best interests.

I love all sports. Not one more than the other. I respect all the hard work that coaches put in as well. What I don't like is coaches manipulating players/ kids. That's not right. Last I checked high school coaches don't get a bonus for victories!

You need to re check on the bonus s /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The TSSAA has made this situation worse by creating such a large dead period for baseball. It would like for all baseball players to play other sports, so the TSSAA creates two dead periods in the fall. These two periods coincide with the beginning of football season and the beginning of basketball season. I ask,"What sports are in a dead period right now?" Also, baseball has the largest number of dead period days in the state. We find ourselves in the middle of a state that has decided to support these football coaches and their agendas.

As for the coaches themselves, they are not so unlike the coaches of other sports. I don't know any coaches who approach their own players and tell them that they should play other sports. That being said, many coaches support their players when playing other sports. However, there are circumstances when coaches find themselves at odds, philosophically, with coaches of other sports within a school. This often leads to these rifts. For example, let's imagine a school where the football team is top notch, led by class individuals, and is known for its good behavior, academics, and off the field class. I know that this sounds absurd, but let me finish. If this same school has a baseball team known for mischief, trouble, being redneck, and losing ball games, then the football coach will, no doubt, find himself wishing that his classy kids avoid such a sorry program. Just a hypothetical.

This has been an issue for years. I disagree with the earlier post, I think this happens more at small schools where you dont have 1500 to 2000 kids to choose from. In small schools, the best athlete on the football team is usually the best on the basketball team and the baseball team. In small schools, the other sports are hurt more by football coaches demanding their players concentrate on football only. I have seen this in person. A football coach tells the other coaches yes it is fine for the athlete to play another sport and is gung ho about it, yet at the same time the same coach tells the athlete that his spot will be up for grabs if he plays another sport. If you think this does not happen in your school, wake up and smell the coffee.

Lets put this in perspective:

Football has the most days of any sport to practice and lift weights. It has the most time available during the summer than any other sport. It plays the fewest number of games of any other sport AND it has the least dead period days of any other sport. Football has a two week period in teh summer that all sports must be dead in, and then a three week period form the end of their season. Other than this they can lift and practice as much as they want.

All other sports have the two week dead period like football in June/July. But every other sport also has a three week dead period from the time their season is over just like football. But the similarities stop there. All other sports have at least two additional dead period times that football does not.

Football plays 10 game unless you make the playoffs, baseball and softabll can play in the 30s, basketball can play 24, and soccer can play 16. Let me pose this question. Does it make sense to allow more practice time, weight lifting time, and summer workout time for a ten week season in which you play one game? Or doe sit make more sense to allow the teams that are playing more games, usually three a week, to have more time to get in shape and practice?

If the TSSAA is really concerned about kids getting burned out in sports, why not put the same limits on all sports in the off season and not allow football to do what it wants and punish every body else.

As I understand the new rules TSSAA put in last year, football coaches can't do anything with there players during the whole month of June except lift and condition. They can't do passing leagues or practice running pass plays nothing involving a football. In the spring they can't have open facilities casue if they do the TSSAA will contact them and tell them they just started spring practice.

Baseball coaches and basketball caoches can take there kids to the gym or the batting cage and watch them practice there shots or swings.

I don't think a football coach can take his players outside in full gear and watch them practice there tackling.

Now I aint the brightest light in the chandalier but that is fair to me!

I've been reading all of these posts with great interest.

It seems that it is time that we step up and be PARENTS to our children. We don't need to call the TSSAA, our local school board, etc., just step up and be a parent to your child.

Compare it to this: if you saw someone on the street abusing your child, wouldn't you physically step in or would you call the police? Do the same thing here with your coaches.

Since this is posted under Baseball, I can understand why the Baseballers are griping about the footballers.

The Baseball coaches aren't nearly as restricted as the football coaches from coaching their players.

I don't see anywhere on the football rules that uses the term

"No Practice Regulations". It means the Baseball coach can choose to coach his players or not. This is the period from end of school til 6/22, then from 7/7-7/26.

Another point to consider is that there are multiple opportunities for baseball players to play summer leagues and fall leagues outside of school. For example, the dead period 7/30-8/19 and 10/29-11/18 a baseballer can go play outside of the school in a league.

Don't know of any leagues where a football player can go suit up in summer or spring.

So while baseball may have 2 additional dead periods, the players themselves have opportunities to go play baseball during these periods.

I love two and three sport athletes. I think they are enjoying the high school experience and will appreciate it more when the glory days are over. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

First of all, baseball is a summer sport. That's the traditional season from May through July. There are dozens of travel ball teams playing baseball during this time whether the high school coach is involved or not. I don't think the TSSAA can regulate what goes on with non school teams. How could they? What has happened is that the school teams have started competing for this 'free time' in the summer. At first it was just to give the non baseball players something to do. The basketball guys could play AAU and the football guys would go to football camps. It was for fun and to give all of the athletes something to do with their 'free time'. Now it's become mandatory. The coaches are pulling kids in different directions and they view the non school teams such as the summer baseball teams playing in their natural season as non entities. Next thing you know, the baseball purists are playing 'fall ball'. The kids are caught in the middle and made to choose. Why!

What we are losing are the 3 sport athletes. It's because the season never ends for some of these teams. They play basketball all year round or they are lifting weights all year round or taking pitching and hitting lessons inside during the winter time when they're not playing baseball. We're playing football in 90 degree weather and baseball in the 30's as it is. What should happen is that the TSSAA divides the regular season equitably and makes it mandatory participation for team members. Athletes for sports that are out of season can have open facilities only. Nothing mandatory. Longer dead periods in the summer for school sports. I think it should be from the middle of June to the middle of July. Basketball gets the first 2 weeks of June and football gets the last two weeks of July. Baseball guys can play for their summer teams during the month long dead period without worry of conflicts with school sports and the basketball only guys can play AAU during that month if they want to.

It's not about the kids is my gripe. It's power struggles between adults to get the kids. Those that want to make the choice and be gym rats or batting cage addicts or weight room junkies will do that without a coach pushing them into it. They're kids. Let 'em play.

My perfect world:

Football- August through October

Basketball- November through February

Baseball- March through May

Summer basketball- first 2 weeks of June

Dead period for school sports- middle of June through the middle of July

Summer football- last 2 weeks of July

First of all, baseball is a summer sport. That's the traditional season from May through July. There are dozens of travel ball teams playing baseball during this time whether the high school coach is involved or not. I don't think the TSSAA can regulate what goes on with non school teams. How could they? What has happened is that the school teams have started competing for this 'free time' in the summer. At first it was just to give the non baseball players something to do. The basketball guys could play AAU and the football guys would go to football camps. It was for fun and to give all of the athletes something to do with their 'free time'. Now it's become mandatory. The coaches are pulling kids in different directions and they view the non school teams such as the summer baseball teams playing in their natural season as non entities. Next thing you know, the baseball purists are playing 'fall ball'. The kids are caught in the middle and made to choose. Why!

What we are losing are the 3 sport athletes. It's because the season never ends for some of these teams. They play basketball all year round or they are lifting weights all year round or taking pitching and hitting lessons inside during the winter time when they're not playing baseball. We're playing football in 90 degree weather and baseball in the 30's as it is. What should happen is that the TSSAA divides the regular season equitably and makes it mandatory participation for team members. Athletes for sports that are out of season can have open facilities only. Nothing mandatory. Longer dead periods in the summer for school sports. I think it should be from the middle of June to the middle of July. Basketball gets the first 2 weeks of June and football gets the last two weeks of July. Baseball guys can play for their summer teams during the month long dead period without worry of conflicts with school sports and the basketball only guys can play AAU during that month if they want to.

It's not about the kids is my gripe. It's power struggles between adults to get the kids. Those that want to make the choice and be gym rats or batting cage addicts or weight room junkies will do that without a coach pushing them into it. They're kids. Let 'em play.

My perfect world:

Good Post!! I agree!!

My perfect world:

I kinda agree with you, but are we doing away with football playoffs under your scenario? If not you can't get in 10 weeks of games and playoffs?