The Best State Tournament Game...

blueandgoldfan

Since its tournament time, I was thinking of the best state tournament games that I've personally seen. There have been many. So, tell about the most exciting game you have seen in the state tournament.

For me (and I know I'm biased), I remember the '96 state tournament. From this tournament, there are two games I remember. The first was the semi-finals. Boyd-Buchanan (ranked 7th) was playing Trenton-Peabody (ranked 1st). BBS ended up winning by one point with a basket within the final minute of the game.

The next game, BBS played Perry County. Kirk Haston (who went on to play for Indiana and professionally with the Hornets) was their star player. Down four points, under a minute, BBS hit a three. Immediately after that, they sent Perry Co. to the line with a foul. The shot was missed, BBS rebounded and went down and hit a 12 foot jumper to go up by one point.

As Perry Co. was inbounding the ball, a BBS player intercepted the pass and took off running in celebration. The problem was that there was still time on the clock....turnover. They get the ball at mid-court and just throw the ball to the basket for Haston to catch and drop in (he was 6'10"). With time expiring, he jumps over a BBS player, tips the ball up.....and it rolls over the front rim and out. BBS wins.

This was the most exciting end to a state tournament game I've ever seen. Granted it was single A, it was a great game.

Share your memories of great state tournament games...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to go with this years UC-Manassas game! To be down i think 17 at the half and then come out in the 2nd half with your perfect season and state title on the line and the best player on the floor takes over and helps lead his team all the way back to secure what is rightfully theirs! Now that is a great game! Congrats UC! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

1998 state AAA semifinals. White County vs Pearl Cohn{Ron slays Jr year and John Hendersons SR year...the John Henderson that played football for UT and now in the NFL}. W County's Kyle Gribble hits 2 free throws to take the lead with less than 10 seconds to play then Pearl Cohn goes down and mises a shot at the buzzer. Great game. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Slay transferred to Oak Hill academy his SR year in high school and then had a great career at UT. WC went on to beat White station in the championship the next night by about 13.

I would have to go with this years UC-Manassas game! To be down i think 17 at the half and then come out in the 2nd half with your perfect season and state title on the line and the best player on the floor takes over and helps lead his team all the way back to secure what is rightfully theirs! Now that is a great game! Congrats UC! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I heard That!!!!

1982 (maybe 83) Michigan High School Quarterfinals. Lansing Everett -v- Detroit Southwestern.

Southwestern with U of Michigan signee and favorite for Mr Basketball Antoine Joubert was heavily favored. Everett had 6'8" minnesota gopher signee Kevin Smith, Loyola Marymount signee Steve Haney, and Indiana (track) signee Scott Reed.

This game went down to the wire, with Southwestern finally pulling it off with under a min to play. But the highlight of the game was Scott Reed stealing a Joubert inbound pass just short of half court. Reed (eventual NCAA High Jump Champ) took the ball to the hoop, and jumped just inside the foul line, pulled his legs up to his knees, and went OVER TOP OF JOUBERT for the Slam!! Brought both sides of the arena to their feet, both benches to their feet. Awesome game.

1977 - Michigan High School Class A (largest division) Final. Lansing Everett -v Birmingham Brother Rice

EVERETT - 6'8" Point Forward Earvin "Magic" Johnson, and 6'1" G Jamie Huffman, (both went on to Michigan States 1979 NCAA Championship team), 6'5" Paul Dawson and 6'4" widebody Larry Hunter. Both went to smaller D1 schools.

Brother Rice- Kevin Smith, sophomore guard went on to MSU after Earvin was gone.

Everett led this game almost the entire way, but Earvin got into foul trouble late, and fouled out with approx 2 min to go in the game. Kevin Smith led the comeback and hit a near half court shot to send the game into overtime. Jamie Huffman pulled Everett through with some great ballhandling and timely shooting through the OT.

Earvin wins the 1977 State Championship, 1979 NCAA Championship and 1980 NBA Championship.(among many with the Lakers) Only person ever to achieve all 3 in that short length of time.

EDIT: there are problably some District tourney games between Earvin's Lansing Everett teams, and Jay Vincents Lansing Eastern team that are worth mentioning, but I dont want to bore you any more than I already have.

Besides the Maryville wins last year in the State Tournament. Here are some great games I have seen in State Tourney action.

96. Brainerd vs White Station. White Station upsets a heavily favored Brainerd team that had CJ Black. Memphis East beat Clarksville. Clarksville had Shawn Marion and Trenton Hassell. East had Tony Harris. White Station vs East for the State Title was great. Tony Harris vs Robert O Kelly.

97. Cleveland vs Brainerd. Vincent Yarbrough and Harris Walker played in that game. Both were dominant. Brainerd vs Pearl Cohn. Athletes galore in that game. Pearl Cohn had John Henderson and Ron Slay.

2002. Bearden beat Maplewood on a last second shot. Ridgeway beat Dyer County in a close game.

2003. Giles County beat Ridgeway for the AA State Title. Tyler Smith was awesome that game. A guard for Giles County hit a last second shot to beat Ridgeway. Bradley Central beat Hamilton in a very exciting game. Justin Hare and Shawnee Williams were great in that game.

2004. Jackson Northside beat Bradley in a very close game. Delk Twins were awesome.

2005. Bolivar Central and Martin Luther King was a great game that year.

2007. Clarksville and Oakland was a great game.