Looking at classification

Indian

I don't think that rural area public schools have a problem with metropolitan schools winning championships. I think that was TSSAA's way of shifting away talk of a public-private split. By saying metropolitan schools are just as successful as privtate schools then TSSAA can make the arguement that being a private school doesn't matter.

Bingo !

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, how about that. I see that we are going to have three classification w/ six sub-classes now. To the nay-sayers hahaha!! It wasn't how I figured it up in the beginning, but we have six classification hehe. The only thing I disagree with is come playoff time 1A an 2A has a total of 24 teams, then broke into 4-6 teams quadrants with the top 2 seeds in each quadrant getting first round byes. Thats just isn't fair to everyone all around, that basically giving those teams an easy way to advance into playoffs unlike it is now.

• 3 months later...

Well, how about that. I see that we are going to have three classification w/ six sub-classes now. To the nay-sayers hahaha!! It wasn't how I figured it up in the beginning, but we have six classification hehe. The only thing I disagree with is come playoff time 1A an 2A has a total of 24 teams, then broke into 4-6 teams quadrants with the top 2 seeds in each quadrant getting first round byes. Thats just isn't fair to everyone all around, that basically giving those teams an easy way to advance into playoffs unlike it is now.

Who told you 1a and 2a will have a total of 24 teams?

Who told you 1a and 2a will have a total of 24 teams?

Think I saw it on the TSSAA's website shortly after the board of control voted on the new classification change in early summer. The reason for just 24 teams is the # of teams possibly eligible in both 1A an 2A for playoff split(btw 40-45 teams vs. 55-65 teams in 3A-6A). But, it is not set in stone quite yet; Class A may not split at all for the playoffs if a number of the private schools decide to go into D-II classification when the enrollment figures come out in a couple of weeks.

Think I saw it on the TSSAA's website shortly after the board of control voted on the new classification change in early summer. The reason for just 24 teams is the # of teams possibly eligible in both 1A an 2A for playoff split(btw 40-45 teams vs. 55-65 teams in 3A-6A). But, it is not set in stone quite yet; Class A may not split at all for the playoffs if a number of the private schools decide to go into D-II classification when the enrollment figures come out in a couple of weeks.

I don't think so. It will be about 24 automatic qualifiers in each class with 8 wild cards. There could be more or less depending on who wins the districts. There will be 32 teams that make the playoffs in each class.

I don't think so. It will be about 24 automatic qualifiers in each class with 8 wild cards. There could be more or less depending on who wins the districts. There will be 32 teams that make the playoffs in each class.

WRONG... Here is some important reading for you, that I found on Knoxville's WVLT Channel 8 news website.

From June 11, 2008

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee football teams will play the regular season grouped in three classes but compete for six state championships starting in 2009 under a reclassification plan adopted by the group overseeing high school sports.

The Board of Control for the Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association voted 5-4 Wednesday to change from five classifications in Division I to the three-class plan. The change will attempt to help schools lower travel costs by keeping them in the same districts in which they play all other sports.

In the playoffs, Class AAA would split into Classes 6A and 5A with Class AA divided into Classes 4A and 3A and finally Class A with Classes 2A and 1A. A total of 32 teams would qualify for the playoffs in Classes 3A through 6A, and 24 in Classes 2A and 1A.

The board voted to keep Division II, which consists of schools offering financial aid. That brings the total to eight Tennessee football titles handed out beginning in 2009.

FOOTBALL CLASSIFICATION DETAILS (Courtesy TSSAA website):

1. All schools play everyone in their district (AAA, AA, A)

2. Each class is divided in half by enrollment. AAA is divided into 6A/5A;

AA into 4A/3A; A into 2A/1A. This will place approximately 55-65 schools in each football classification. If the number of football schools in Class A is less than 70, then the Board would determine whether Class A would be divided for playoffs or remain as one class. Using present enrollments, we would have 83 footballplaying

schools in Class A.

3. In 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A, 32 teams would qualify for the playoffs. In 2A

and 1A 24 teams would qualify for the playoffs. This difference is due to the fact that there would be 41-42 schools in 2A and 1A each, with 58-62 schools in the other 4 classifications.

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3 automatic qualifiers; 3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards based on TSSAA tiebreakers

5. In 6A, there is the rare possibility that you have 25 automatic qualifiers. Districts 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 16 where there is 1 qualifier and another 6A team could finish 2nd. If this occurred in all 8 districts, you would have 33 qualifiers. In the unlikely event that this would happen, you would apply the tiebreaker criteria to those 8 teams to determine the 7 qualifiers to complete the 32-team bracket.

6. The 32 teams are then placed geographically in 4 quadrants with 8

teams in each quadrant in 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A. In 2A and 1A there are 6 in each quadrant with the top 2 seeds drawing a bye in the first round.

7. The eight teams (6 in 2A and 1A) are placed in the bracket so that no

teams from the same district play each other in the first round except when there are 5 or more teams from the same district. Placements are then done with priorities given to automatic qualifiers based on their district finish followed by Wild Cards. There may be times where teams have to be placed other than their order of district finish to avoid teams from the same district meeting in the first round.

8. The team with the higher seed will host throughout the first three rounds. In the semifinals, the top team in the bracket will host in odd years and the team in the bottom bracket will host in even years. (Exceptions: If the two teams are from the same district, the higher finishing team in district standings shall host.)

9. Directed state office to bring back plan on how the tournament format would look if you use the same plan for football for other sports (basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball).

#9 Will not be done all other sports will keep current tournament formats.

WRONG... Here is some important reading for you, that I found on Knoxville's WVLT Channel 8 news website.

From June 11, 2008

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee football teams will play the regular season grouped in three classes but compete for six state championships starting in 2009 under a reclassification plan adopted by the group overseeing high school sports.

The Board of Control for the Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association voted 5-4 Wednesday to change from five classifications in Division I to the three-class plan. The change will attempt to help schools lower travel costs by keeping them in the same districts in which they play all other sports.

In the playoffs, Class AAA would split into Classes 6A and 5A with Class AA divided into Classes 4A and 3A and finally Class A with Classes 2A and 1A. A total of 32 teams would qualify for the playoffs in Classes 3A through 6A, and 24 in Classes 2A and 1A.

The board voted to keep Division II, which consists of schools offering financial aid. That brings the total to eight Tennessee football titles handed out beginning in 2009.

FOOTBALL CLASSIFICATION DETAILS (Courtesy TSSAA website):

1. All schools play everyone in their district (AAA, AA, A)

2. Each class is divided in half by enrollment. AAA is divided into 6A/5A;

AA into 4A/3A; A into 2A/1A. This will place approximately 55-65 schools in each football classification. If the number of football schools in Class A is less than 70, then the Board would determine whether Class A would be divided for playoffs or remain as one class. Using present enrollments, we would have 83 footballplaying

schools in Class A.

3. In 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A, 32 teams would qualify for the playoffs. In 2A

and 1A 24 teams would qualify for the playoffs. This difference is due to the fact that there would be 41-42 schools in 2A and 1A each, with 58-62 schools in the other 4 classifications.

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3 automatic qualifiers; 3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards based on TSSAA tiebreakers

5. In 6A, there is the rare possibility that you have 25 automatic qualifiers. Districts 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 16 where there is 1 qualifier and another 6A team could finish 2nd. If this occurred in all 8 districts, you would have 33 qualifiers. In the unlikely event that this would happen, you would apply the tiebreaker criteria to those 8 teams to determine the 7 qualifiers to complete the 32-team bracket.

6. The 32 teams are then placed geographically in 4 quadrants with 8

teams in each quadrant in 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A. In 2A and 1A there are 6 in each quadrant with the top 2 seeds drawing a bye in the first round.

7. The eight teams (6 in 2A and 1A) are placed in the bracket so that no

teams from the same district play each other in the first round except when there are 5 or more teams from the same district. Placements are then done with priorities given to automatic qualifiers based on their district finish followed by Wild Cards. There may be times where teams have to be placed other than their order of district finish to avoid teams from the same district meeting in the first round.

8. The team with the higher seed will host throughout the first three rounds. In the semifinals, the top team in the bracket will host in odd years and the team in the bottom bracket will host in even years. (Exceptions: If the two teams are from the same district, the higher finishing team in district standings shall host.)

9. Directed state office to bring back plan on how the tournament format would look if you use the same plan for football for other sports (basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball).

#9 Will not be done all other sports will keep current tournament formats.

I haven't seen that. It looks like there is still quite a bit yet to be determined. That is interesting.

That's what I thought to but Stephen Hargis' article in the Chattanooga paper says otherwise.

Article > Harigis Article

However, the TSSAA plan here said what you said: TSSAA Classification Possibilities

Here is the TSSAA explaination of plan B which actually makes good sense so I don't know why the coaches couldn't understand it.

Stephen Hargis's explaination of plan B talks about there being a 6A which would be new. That seems kind of stupid to create a 6A when 5A is really too many.

This is basically a version of the Plan Z for those people who have been watching this stuff. As far as Plan C goes, I think it is way too complicated and borders on ridiculous in places such as Lookout Valley ending up in AAA.

5A are not enough. There is no way the small 1A schools can compete in the current system. And you guys are talking like it hasn't been passed. It has been passed. Starting next year, there will be 3 classes in the regular season, and 6 classes in the playoffs.