State of Oak Ridge Football

bbulldog

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. I think this battle has been lost for years to come, regardless of what angle you take or support. If you don't believe this you are fooling yourself, but 4th or 5th really isn't that bad. We are teaching the kids so much, the record doesn't matter, just stay out of trouble and keep shooting for the stars, or just keep shooting. If we could only get Gibbs on the schedule or If I could only get a chance to show everyone what leadership qualities I have. Lookout next year is going to be great, 9-1 or 8-2, I promise!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read these post and come to figure out one thing. Most of you are not posting or have this great concern about the state of oak Ridge football. It appears that it is addressed more at Stevens or the power that be that went away from the decision that you wanted. I remember when this process was going on. Out of everybody that applied to say stevens was not qualified or didn't have a proven record is just not true. The Knoxville media loved and considered him one of the best coaches and his program one of the best in east tennessee. Not to mention he is a home town kid. It must be very hurtful to go through what this man is going through. Finally to land a job at the place you love. i can remember people in east knoxville complaining about how Stevens would always brag and talk about oak ridge football. (Oak Ridge is the one program AE never beat... a lot of AE fans have bad taste about OR). He tried to build his program at Ae the way it was at OR. Remember Stevens is a coaching product of Joe Gaddis and a player from the great Oak Ridge Football Program. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> But you cowards get on a computer and spread negative talk about a guy who may be doing the best he can. Lets look at some truths. oak Ridge has been to the state championship twice in the last 25 years or more. Twice. Just Twice. That's laughable to think that you are just some great powerhouse. The teams they lost to this year were very good teams. We talk about Lussier and Gaddis tenure at Oak Ridge then east tennessee 5A football stunk. Only team worth a count was Kingsport which they beat Oak Ridge every year. Then would not make it past the third round. Remember Twice to the state championship. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> What coach do you want. Gaddis.. Remember you all ran him out of there. Lussier in 2002 you all was ready to run him out. The coach from Chattanooga turned it down. Rankin didn't even put his name in but took a job at a 2A school. Quarles never considered it.Maybe Coatney at Fulton. But he allows thugs to play oh no oak Ridge brass couldn't allow that. Who could take you to the promise land. Oh yeah Coach gray. No knox county school will allow him to coach there anymore. Every place he has been he has left with a lot of controversy and caused problems for the head coach. So ole dad give me a name or two for guys to take oak ridge back to the promise land. that they been to twice in the last 25 years. Twice :roflol

You know boorelly you seem to have it all figured out. Maybe you should come over and give Stevens a little hand with his next 5 and 5 season. None of the Oak Ridge parents or fans want to help anymore. Spring practice starts next week and there are still game jerseys hangiing in the rafters where they were thrown after the whoopin Kingsport gave them. Asked the question of why it was still there, the great coach said " He can get it down in the spring if he comes out and still wants that number"

And people wonder why support is fading!

Boorelly,

You make some great points. Have you ever considered being on OR's School Board, you would fit in nicely? Talk is cheap, the fact is people will not get involved anymore. Every year it is the same old speech. We didn't have the players we needed, but next year we are going to be great. The cowards behind a computer part I can understand, because most people hide behind the keyboards. So I go on record saying my name is Mark Gulmire and I think the hiring of Stevens is the worst hire in OR's last 20 years. OR will be as I said when this political went down, middle of the pack at best year in and year out. My kids are through playing and I really hate to see the direction the administration is taking concerning the leadership of the program. That is why I have not and will not pay one red cent for admission or contribution to the school under this watch. More people would speak out, but they have kids that are still playing and are concerned for obvious reasons. My apoligies go out for all the players, because I mean no disrespect and wish you much success.

Speaking as someone who can definitely feel your pain, let me give you OR fans some advice. In 2007, the DB faithful had to endure the most inept offense that we have seen in Kingsport in decades. And as we struggled through the year, everybody wanted to blame somebody for the problems, whether it be the Head Coach, the assistants, or the players for their lack of commitment. But after all the dust had settled and the last game was played, it became apparent that what we had just experienced was actually due to none of the above. Quite frankly, we fielded an offense that just didn't have that much talent. OR is like Kingsport in that you are just not used to having "down years" and it's a hard pill to swallow. But you have to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water. My advice is to just grin and bare it. If you do things will get better.

boorelly,

I was in favor of hiring Coach Stevens, I now feel differently, because of off the field issues mostly.

As for the "coward" remark, I noticed you didn't sign off on your post, my grandma would call that

"the kettle calling the pot black" syndrom. LOL /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Speaking as someone who can definitely feel your pain, let me give you OR fans some advice. In 2007, the DB faithful had to endure the most inept offense that we have seen in Kingsport in decades. And as we struggled through the year, everybody wanted to blame somebody for the problems, whether it be the Head Coach, the assistants, or the players for their lack of commitment. But after all the dust had settled and the last game was played, it became apparent that what we had just experienced was actually due to none of the above. Quite frankly, we fielded an offense that just didn't have that much talent. OR is like Kingsport in that you are just not used to having "down years" and it's a hard pill to swallow. But you have to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water. My advice is to just grin and bare it. If you do things will get better.

Good Call - Blame the kids!!

Spring practice started today....anybody go or have you heard anything?

I did go for a little bit. I counted 48 players on the field; given the numbers running track, playing soccer and baseball, those are not bad numbers. We have some good linemen coming up, the biggest question will be, who will carry the football? Not good size at the other positions. I will try to post more as I watch practice over the next 3 weeks.