Private/Public Split Debate

beavo5

Maybe 50 miles is a bit of a stretch but it is still plausible and I would bet that it happens way more than you think.I don't care if you screen them for athleticism or not if I can draw kids from every county surrounding me all I have to do is have 1 or 2 good seasons and I have kids beating my door down to play for me from all over. soooooo if I can legally let them in the door I have an advantage.Since Cosby beat BBS in that game we had the best 10 year run in school history WITHOUT winning a title. We have 2 silver balls and 4 -5 trips to the boro. Do we have an advantage NO, we had what I have been trying to tell you schools should have "a good run". We havent been to the boro since 2006 and doesn't look very good for the near future either. Why? Our small town doesn't produce athletes at breakneck speed and we can't getem from another county like privates can when thier cupboard goes dry.

Eagle, it has never happened at Boyd and I would guess it hasn't at any other DI privates. Once again you are confusting the smaller DI privates with the big preps.We have never had an athletic run like your basketball run at Cosby. Are you guys recruiting kids from out of county or are you coaching them right and working with what you have?

How do you think Boyd-Buchanan would have done in basketball the last 10 years with Temple, Chattanooga Christian and Grace not being in the Class A district? I'd say BB would be well ahead of the area Class A public schools (Whitwell, South Pittsburg, Copper Basin, Sale Creek, Hardy, 21st) except one, Arts and Sciences.

Well, how did we do BEFORE they all came on the scene...oh, not so good. Ain't speculation special?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On this site's scoreboard, I looked up BB's record against the area Class A publics as 29-8 in the four years before the multiplier. I might have missed a few as I did it quickly. I don't think they were hurting except against the private schools, and I'd expect Temple, Grace and Chattanooga Christian to have stronger winning percentages.

Basketball was the weakest sport for most of the publics that were in our district back then. Look up our Football or Baseball record vs South Pitt or Lookout Valley or Whitwell or Greenback during that period. We were no powerhouse even without the other small privates getting kids. We WERE good at Basketball...it was probably our best sport along with Soccer.

Amazingly, just like a public school our sports success goes up and down. Hmmm...almost like we don't have an advantage because we don't screen our kids for athletes. The coaches are not involved in the admissions process at ALL.

Eagle, it has never happened at Boyd and I would guess it hasn't at any other DI privates. Once again you are confusting the smaller DI privates with the big preps.We have never had an athletic run like your basketball run at Cosby. Are you guys recruiting kids from out of county or are you coaching them right and working with what you have?Well, how did we do BEFORE they all came on the scene...oh, not so good. Ain't speculation special?

I would bet we have more kids leave our county to go play sports in seveir , hamblen, greene, and jefferson county than almost any county in the state.

I KNOW we don't have any that live out of the county right now or ever as far as I can remember, and only a couple that has moved into the county recently.

It seems like anytime we get a transfer who is 6'7" 300 lbs they would rather "go fishin" as play sports. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

How is it speculation when schools advertise that they accept students from all over? 9 Counties has to cover a 50 mile radius. I'm not very familiar with the geography of that part of the state but it's gotta be close even if it's the 9 closest counties to the school.

Basketball was the weakest sport for most of the publics that were in our district back then. Look up our Football or Baseball record vs South Pitt or Lookout Valley or Whitwell or Greenback during that period. We were no powerhouse even without the other small privates getting kids. We WERE good at Basketball...it was probably our best sport along with Soccer.

Amazingly, just like a public school our sports success goes up and down. Hmmm...almost like we don't have an advantage because we don't screen our kids for athletes. The coaches are not involved in the admissions process at ALL.

I didn't word that well, the question basically was how did Boyd-Buchanan do in boys' basketball against the area Class A publics, in the years before the multiplier when BB saw them in district and region play. It was mentioned how BB did not have strong basketball teams after the state tournament but they were 29-8 in the four seasons before the multiplier against such teams, the record against other private schools is the only thing that helps even out the record.

The baseball schedules in the past few seasons weren't working on the site but I remember BB having some good teams. Softball and football, obviously were strong.

Maybe 50 miles is a bit of a stretch but it is still plausible and I would bet that it happens way more than you think . . .

I will take that bet any day and twice of Tuesdays. Give me just one case of any student attending a D1 private school whose lives 50 miles away and I will send you $100.

I didn't word that well, the question basically was how did Boyd-Buchanan do in boys' basketball against the area Class A publics, in the years before the multiplier when BB saw them in district and region play. It was mentioned how BB did not have strong basketball teams after the state tournament but they were 29-8 in the four seasons before the multiplier against such teams, the record against other private schools is the only thing that helps even out the record.

The baseball schedules in the past few seasons weren't working on the site but I remember BB having some good teams. Softball and football, obviously were strong.

BTW, my count was 24-9 and if you go back five years it was 34-14 -- not dramatically different than yours, I know.

Again, with no disrespect to kids or coaches at those schools, our basketball record against those public schools proves very little. I saw most of those games because I had children playing in most of them. We were often NOT athletically superior. Occasionally we were "out-athleted" by them. For whatever reason, coaching, tradition, luck, whatever, we often won those games. Check our record against Lookout Valley during the last ten years. If it isn't a losing record, I bet it's not too much above .500. Likewise with CSAS. Those are two public Hamilton County schools against whom we have not "dominated." Darren Crownover and Mark Dragoo would be offended (or perhaps amused) by the assertion that we have dominated them.

We have been strong in softball. I bet you also know that softball, as much as any sport, can be profoundly impacted by ONE pitcher. We were blessed to have Julie King be pretty dominant for five years (8-12 grade). She was overlapped one year by Sarah Warren who then proceeded to be pretty dominant for three more years. That's two pitchers for about 8 of the last twelve years. I think you would agree that if we put King or Warren on most any other decent team, that team would have been competitive at a championship level for those eight years. I love the Lady Bucs. My daughter played with both of those girls. I mean the current team or coaches no disrespect when I say that while the Lady Bucs are still very competitive, they don't have that kind of dominant pitching.

Baseball had a very good four-year run from 1999-2002. They played for four region championships, winning NONE of them. I had a son on three of those teams. South Pitt and Charleston won at least three of those championships. It was probably the best period in the history of BBS baseball (can't say that for sure.). Again, with no disrespect for the current coaches or players, they simply have not been in the upper echelon of teams lately. I suspect that South Pitt, Charleston, Lookout Valley and probably Whitwell and Copper Basin would chuckle at the idea of BBS being a dominant baseball program.

Please do not misunderstand my posts about this subject. I'm very proud of the accomplishments and effort of the BBS athletic program in general. I just don't see that we are oozing with superb athletes like we (and other private schools) are often made out to be. And I certainly do not know of any effort (legal or illegal, ethical or unethical) to recruit, draw, encourage or promote the "uber-athlete" to come be a part of our school.

(BTW, I'm just a parent of BBS alumni. I do not speak on behalf of the school in any official capacity.)

I will take that bet any day and twice of Tuesdays. Give me just one case of any student attending a D1 private school whose lives 50 miles away and I will send you $100.

I know of 3 that live in Columbia and go to Lipscomb, but it's only like 43 miles from their house. Don't guess I get the $100?

PS: All 3 play sports.

So youre saying they should have them from 95 counties or that only having them from 9 instead of 1 like most publics doesn't give them an advantage?

Old Pirate says you'll never win this with the private supporters. Somehow they are not reachable on what is an unfair advantage as long as it is in their favor. Old Pirate says they have complained enough about the multiplier that Ronnie Carter needs some relief.

Old Pirate just loves this stuff.

I know of 3 that live in Columbia and go to Lipscomb, but it's only like 43 miles from their house. Don't guess I get the $100?

PS: All 3 play sports.

Old Pirate says sickem 66in74. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Old Pirate knew he was not all alone. it's good to have the cavalry close. OP is battle scarred enough, just enjoys setting atop the hill and watching the troops battle it out. Kinda like a 4 star general. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />