DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maroonandgrey, if we don't have to go through Maryville to get there then it won't be as highly valued. Just like not playing you. It's interesting though...Did you go to the Maryville game? Because if you did then you witnessed the anomalee. Nobody on this team was a superstar. Not even Aaron Douglas. He only made possibly 4 major plays. True he was a D1 athlete but was not utylised every other play. Burnette was the cog but he was not the star either. There was no star. The star was the team. They sped to the ball on defense. The lead blockers did not look back after the initial block to see where the ball carrier was they just kept on blocking until the whistle blew. The linemen never left their block...even after the ball was thrown. They did not have the kind of athletes DB has. Not even the kind that South has...nor THS. They had fair athletes with a few very good players but were coached to perfection as a team. Individually, there were very few college athletes but together they were a force. I would like to spend some time with GQ and see what his regimen is. I have the utmost respect for GC but I feel he is missing something that Quarles has as well. This team was nothing special yet they were in the right place at the right time everytime and capitalised on every situation. They took each aspect of the game and went to extremes with it. The running back carrying out a fake to the weak side then ending up being a blocker for the TE catching the ball on the strong side downfield. Literally no one was finished until the ball was dead. It was nothing special. Just that no one stops furthering the success of the play until the play is dead. Now I can think of dedicated players from DB (Throp comes to mind) but never does the whole team continue until the ball is dead. That is the difference between GQ and any other coach. He doesn't do anything special..he just demands that each and every player on the field continue hitting until the ball is dead. I've watched our film and that level of committment does not exist. I dare say it does at DB either. Your thoughts.

Comp

I tend to agree, just look at the NFL players drafted from Tennessee. According to hsfdatabase.com, DB has 2, Science Hill 1, Elizabethton 1, and THS 1...but absolutely zero from Maryville (maybe Carl Stewart this year). And I watched Maples in the Orange/White game and really nothing stood out to me above what I have seen from someone like Coty in recent years. And the best player on the UT team from Blount County could possibly be Brandon Warren (Alcoa)...hopefully. Maryville doesn't quite flood the college rosters either with D1-A players as one would think from a program that wins the way it does. So I tend to agree that it isn't a talent problem around here.

I did not travel to the Maryville game but listened on the radio and I work with one of South players' uncle. We talked before the game about what stood out to us and it was Aaron Douglas (6'4, 265) across the middle all day and it would be very tough for any LB/DB to want to defend that for an entire game and sheer talent/strength would prevail. This kid is huge and going to UT...my thinking was you would be ludicrous to do anything else. OH BUT WAIT...that was what I had come to believe from experiencing DB having great players in the past, les't ride them to the title. Yet I can barely remember the announcer calling out the name Aaron Douglass, yet they methodically operated there system...and that is what has won them so many games. The system...coach, players, schemes, desire, tradition, and the flat out notion that we do not want to be "THAT TEAM" in the history of a program that did not get it done. I recently watched a show on ESPN about the Brandon High in Florida that had a 34 year, 359 straight match (wow!) winning streak in wrestling snapped. 36 straight perfect seasons. Those kids didn't look any bigger, stronger, or more skilled than the wrestlers you see every day but after they became "that team" in program history that didn't continue the streak, they started a new streak and claimed something like there 19th state team title. At the end, they scrolled the players names and accomplishments and each kid was a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc member of his family to win a title. It was all summed up prefectly by one of the kids: "I told the guys all the time, it's not just you that you're working for," Brandon junior Eric Grajales said before last Saturday's loss. "It's your teammates, it's the past, it's everyone on our wall. Every state champ ??“ everybody. If you're not going to work for yourself, you have to work for them." It is not about "I" and what "I" can get out of this, but about upholding something greater than yourself. I'm not sure that exists in the area. Maybe South is beginning the process of building that program. I said it many times that there is an atmosphere of "I'll show up in my sweet looking maroon uni and run on my sweet turf and my opponent will fall before me". The talent has surely been there in '98, '00, '02, '06 with the likes of Gaines, Henry, Adonis, Butler, Sensabaugh (Gerald and Coty), Ghee, Williams, Ferguson, Burton, Throps, McMillans, Nottingham but they came up empty. I'm not sure I can lay that all on the coaches because I have to agree with Eddie Durham (DB golf coach) who crtiticized the kids for being comsumed with cars and cell phones and clothes. It is about your culture...Maryville has a culture of "everyone on our wall"

Hey, this will allow you guys to fall back to the excuse of "our schedule's too weak, and that's why we're not successful come playoff time".

Hey and it will keep you guys from getting whooped and then trying to back out of the next year's game and claiming it was DB that didn't want to play and then claim you would have won /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Dude they have been successful come playoff time....look it up...just as successful as anyone in this area even WITH a tougher schedule. but good try though

Comp

I tend to agree, just look at the NFL players drafted from Tennessee. According to hsfdatabase.com, DB has 2, Science Hill 1, Elizabethton 1, and THS 1...but absolutely zero from Maryville (maybe Carl Stewart this year). And I watched Maples in the Orange/White game and really nothing stood out to me above what I have seen from someone like Coty in recent years. And the best player on the UT team from Blount County could possibly be Brandon Warren (Alcoa)...hopefully. Maryville doesn't quite flood the college rosters either with D1-A players as one would think from a program that wins the way it does. So I tend to agree that it isn't a talent problem around here.

I did not travel to the Maryville game but listened on the radio and I work with one of South players' uncle. We talked before the game about what stood out to us and it was Aaron Douglas (6'4, 265) across the middle all day and it would be very tough for any LB/DB to want to defend that for an entire game and sheer talent/strength would prevail. This kid is huge and going to UT...my thinking was you would be ludicrous to do anything else. OH BUT WAIT...that was what I had come to believe from experiencing DB having great players in the past, les't ride them to the title. Yet I can barely remember the announcer calling out the name Aaron Douglass, yet they methodically operated there system...and that is what has won them so many games. The system...coach, players, schemes, desire, tradition, and the flat out notion that we do not want to be "THAT TEAM" in the history of a program that did not get it done. I recently watched a show on ESPN about the Brandon High in Florida that had a 34 year, 359 straight match (wow!) winning streak in wrestling snapped. 36 straight perfect seasons. Those kids didn't look any bigger, stronger, or more skilled than the wrestlers you see every day but after they became "that team" in program history that didn't continue the streak, they started a new streak and claimed something like there 19th state team title. At the end, they scrolled the players names and accomplishments and each kid was a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc member of his family to win a title. It was all summed up prefectly by one of the kids: "I told the guys all the time, it's not just you that you're working for," Brandon junior Eric Grajales said before last Saturday's loss. "It's your teammates, it's the past, it's everyone on our wall. Every state champ ??“ everybody. If you're not going to work for yourself, you have to work for them." It is not about "I" and what "I" can get out of this, but about upholding something greater than yourself. I'm not sure that exists in the area. Maybe South is beginning the process of building that program. I said it many times that there is an atmosphere of "I'll show up in my sweet looking maroon uni and run on my sweet turf and my opponent will fall before me". The talent has surely been there in '98, '00, '02, '06 with the likes of Gaines, Henry, Adonis, Butler, Sensabaugh (Gerald and Coty), Ghee, Williams, Ferguson, Burton, Throps, McMillans, Nottingham but they came up empty. I'm not sure I can lay that all on the coaches because I have to agree with Eddie Durham (DB golf coach) who crtiticized the kids for being comsumed with cars and cell phones and clothes. It is about your culture...Maryville has a culture of "everyone on our wall"

good post.

Hey and it will keep you guys from getting whooped and then trying to back out of the next year's game and claiming it was DB that didn't want to play and then claim you would have won /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Dude they have been successful come playoff time....look it up...just as successful as anyone in this area even WITH a tougher schedule. but good try though

You never read one of my posts saying we would have beaten you. The streak speaks for itself. Until we beat you, we can't say anything about coulda shoulda woulda. I call it like I see it. Agree with me or not, I could care less. My only beef with D-Bers is their arrogance. Not all, but a lot of them. To me, they have absolutely nothing to be arrogant about. Sure D-B has the most wins, blah blah blah, but it's because they've been around for so long. They probably rank pretty high in losses too. I'm sure someone can look it up. IMO teams that win state championships can be cocky. Just like you've said over and over, what good would it do us to brag about beating up on the Unicoi's, Johnson's, North's, etc. Until we can beat Maryville, it doesn't mean anything. Again, my opinion, agree or not, who cares.

Comp

Stacy has upped his ante' each year he has been at South. It will be interesting to see what elevation he can achieve with this group. As well, it is obvious GC is going to be in a sweet spot for '08. I sure would like to see Kingsport on the map.

Hey, like us or not we are loud and proud and it is the same whether we are smokin' the pig with Rebel Ale in our hand or standin' in the bread line. Admit it...we are the ones you want on your side when the bullets start flyin'. You think we are obnoxious now then a Gold Ball will just make it unbearable. I dare say Waco would hang himself.

Maryville has better players than people think. Maryville may not have a top 30 Rivals player every year but they have had some D1 talent.

Gary Tucker and Brent Burnett. MTSU

Carl Stewart. Auburn

Cade Thompson and Steven Shiver. UT Martin

Nick Black. Clemson

Chuck Prugh,Aaron Douglas and Tyler Maples. UT

Scott Wilks. Marshall

What Maryville has is a bunch of kids who play at colleges like Maryville College,Tusculum,Carson Newman,Austin Peay,Cumberland,Mars Hill

Maryville does have superior coaching. But! You can't take mules and win the Kentucky Derby.

Maroonandgrey, if we don't have to go through Maryville to get there then it won't be as highly valued. Just like not playing you. It's interesting though...Did you go to the Maryville game? Because if you did then you witnessed the anomalee. Nobody on this team was a superstar. Not even Aaron Douglas. He only made possibly 4 major plays. True he was a D1 athlete but was not utylised every other play. Burnette was the cog but he was not the star either. There was no star. The star was the team. They sped to the ball on defense. The lead blockers did not look back after the initial block to see where the ball carrier was they just kept on blocking until the whistle blew. The linemen never left their block...even after the ball was thrown. They did not have the kind of athletes DB has. Not even the kind that South has...nor THS. They had fair athletes with a few very good players but were coached to perfection as a team. Individually, there were very few college athletes but together they were a force. I would like to spend some time with GQ and see what his regimen is. I have the utmost respect for GC but I feel he is missing something that Quarles has as well. This team was nothing special yet they were in the right place at the right time everytime and capitalised on every situation. They took each aspect of the game and went to extremes with it. The running back carrying out a fake to the weak side then ending up being a blocker for the TE catching the ball on the strong side downfield. Literally no one was finished until the ball was dead. It was nothing special. Just that no one stops furthering the success of the play until the play is dead. Now I can think of dedicated players from DB (Throp comes to mind) but never does the whole team continue until the ball is dead. That is the difference between GQ and any other coach. He doesn't do anything special..he just demands that each and every player on the field continue hitting until the ball is dead. I've watched our film and that level of committment does not exist. I dare say it does at DB either. Your thoughts.

Compusatman,

You know I love you but gotta disagree big time on this one. Maryville on average has more athletes then South, DB, or TN High. That is just the way it is demographics or whatever, it is just like that. True they don't turn out tons of big D1 athletes (neither does the tri cities), but any kid that plays in high school that goes on to play in college is a star at the high school level. Maryville cranks em out, though many are NAIA, D2, or D3. Maryville is also the best coached public (and maybe any school period) in Tennessee. They really play as a team and spread it around. That is why it is hard to stand out on that team and also why is is almost impossible to beat them. They are awesome athletes, they are coached by some of the best, they are in better shape then most, and they know how to win. These factors allow them to dominate and Maryville usually does not have record setting individual players in games, they really play team ball. I have gone to a Maryville game yearly for about a decade. The KNoxville area as a whole has faster, bigger and stronger players when compared to upper east tn teams. That is a big reason our region has problems in the playoffs.

Not much to talk about on the south thread I guess. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

You should know, you were the last one to post there. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

You should know, you were the last one to post there. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Yes, I guess you took my advice in that last post. Just shut down the south thread and join the DB thread. After all, DB is all you want to talk about. Have u-all been over to take a look at the new field? Maybe you'll get to walk on it at Fun Fest. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />