DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

I tell everyone that a huge part of Maryville's success is their youth programs. I wouldn't care to bet that they have the best feeder programs around. Maryville has 5 youth programs. Lil Rebs,Southerners,Rebs,Cubs and Bears.

Lil Rebs. The Lil Rebs are coached by David Hunt. Hunt has coached 12 seasons for the Lil Rebs. He has had a lot of the same coaches since he started. The Lil Rebs are a 7-8 year old Grasshopper team. After those kids get through playing for the Lil Rebs they go to the Southerners.

Southerners. Joey Winders has coached this team for nearly 25 years. He has had a lot of the same coaches in that time frame. The Southerners are a 9-10 year old Pee Wee team. After those kids get through playing for the Southerners they go to the Rebs.

Rebs. The Rebs are a 11-12 year old Midget team. Don Sentell has been coaching the Rebs for 42 years. Junior Masingo has been with Don the whole time. Don is a legend in youth football.

One Maryville football organization is the Lil Rebs,Southerners and Rebs organization. The other Maryville organization is the Cubs/Bears organization. Danny Maples coached for over 25 years but quit to watch his son Tyler play football.

Cubs. The Cubs are a 9-10 year old Pee Wee team. Don Myers has coached for many years in this organization. He took over as Cubs coach after Danny Maples hung it up.

Bears. The Bears are a 11-12 year old Midget program. Ricky Maples is the head coach for this team. Ricky has been coaching for over 25 years.

Watching the Southerners take on the Cubs or the Rebs take on the Bears is youth football at its finest.

All these kids group together at the Middle School. George Quarles and MMS Head Coach Jay Malone got together and MMS runs the same offense the High School does.

A single middle school to integrate all this is certainly a valuable tool but not automatic. Great programs are built and maintained by continuity in coaching staffs and community support, hard working and talented coaching staffs, and depth of talent. Big schools can sometimes beat folks just on numbers, but it starts with continuity and excellence in coaching and community support. However, a big school does not equate to a great program. Just ask Science Hill.

Who are the best football programs in NET in the last 5 years?

Note to Waco - Before I get into my list, I acknowledge the mighty Indian's many mythical state titles before real playoffs began and their many victories over smaller schools.

My choice for the top recent programs in NET are:

1. Hampton (fears no one but just can't get to the finals; way under reported and underrated by local media)

2. Morristown West (Don Woods will be missed; they were the beast of the northeast until last year)

3. Sullivan South (Curt Phillips era similar to Ralph Nelson era - great 3 year run; can they continue - I think so)

4. D-B (long streak of conference titles until last year, although last year was a great coaching job; should have gone deeper in the playoffs in '06 though)

5. THS (balance of power in the conference has shifted to SSHS but they can reclaim the mantle this year; I see a little slip in community support over the past few years)

Watch out for these programs over the next few years:

1. Greeneville (great coaching hire with big money support behind the program; I understand they may have lost their QB for next season, though)

2. Elizabethton (they are in a big up cycle on talent with a new coach; I do wonder how much venom is still hanging over from the previous regime)

3. Morristown East (time for the 'Canes to stop talking, step up and beat West; should have done it last year)

4. Science Hill (this is a vote from the heart, not the head; surely Gilligan can get it turned around with all the drama that it part of the most underachieving football program in the region over the past 10 years)

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%. I'm not sure Cary truly understands the program or knows what is best for the school. Wes was a DB guy who understood what mattered to the school and fans and he and Tom are great friends. I think he would have found a way.

An excellent post and response.

This will be win / win move for Throp and SSHS. Rebel fans have told me that it was really was disappointing that SSHS was not on the radio last year.

You are right - Wes would not have let this happen and Daniels does not have a clue.

You'd probably get sued for Defamation.

Why not change your reference to SSHS to.....DB - 44 south - ZERO

I may do that.

After I change my reference to D-B to:

1st and Goal vs W-B in '06

Although that does not "sing" as well as MaP; maybe I could use 1GWB06.

Obviously you care or you wouldn't even be on here. So DB has absolutely nothing to brag about? Believe me, if South had 700 wins you would sure be proud of that. But I disagree with you (of course), the school has much to be proud of and brag about. You can say that they have won more because they have played more (and that is a fact) but the truth is they have won over 76% of there games and as you can see they are #1 in wins as well as the fewest losses of the top 5. DB has 6 state titles recognized by the TSSAA in it's record book. Fact. I suggest you nag the TSSAA if you want that changed.

All-Time Wins (Top 5)

1. Dobyns-Bennett (1921): 700-208-28 .763

2. Montgomery Bell Academy (1899): 650-310-46 .669

3. Maryville (1926): 644-213-33 .742

4. Baylor (1908): 634-275-39 .689

5. McCallie (1905): 585-320-44 .640

Listen I hate Notre Dame as much as you hate DB and they have been given a lot of special treatment through the years (including many national championships that, hey!, they didn't actually win on the field...hmmm). But if you've ever witnessed in person a Notre Dame game and see fans come from every corner of the country, and watch the band do its thing marching into the stadium, and the leprechaun, and Amazing Grace at half time on the bagpipes, etc. you realize this is who they are and it is really special (send chills down you). Not to mention Rudy. Sometimes we get caught up in the destination and don't enjoy the journey.

FYI: DB doesn't play the Unicois and Norths in football. But hey nice try.

I meant I don't care if you agree with my opinion and I was talking about South not needing to brag about beating the Unicois and Norths.

Of course it does. To you everything that sits on the other side of Hammond Bridge stinks.

Is it perfect? By no means, but the CHAC hasn't exactly re-created the Maryville program over at Pactolus.

Maroon, I wasn't talking about CHAC. I'm talking about 9-12 tackle football. There is no comparison between boys club football and county league football.

A single middle school to integrate all this is certainly a valuable tool but not automatic. Great programs are built and maintained by continuity in coaching staffs and community support, hard working and talented coaching staffs, and depth of talent. Big schools can sometimes beat folks just on numbers, but it starts with continuity and excellence in coaching and community support. However, a big school does not equate to a great program. Just ask Science Hill.

Note to Waco - Before I get into my list, I acknowledge the mighty Indian's many mythical state titles before real playoffs began and their many victories over smaller schools.

1. Hampton (fears no one but just can't get to the finals; way under reported and underrated by local media)

2. Morristown West (Don Woods will be missed; they were the beast of the northeast until last year)

3. Sullivan South (Curt Phillips era similar to Ralph Nelson era - great 3 year run; can they continue - I think so)

4. D-B (long streak of conference titles until last year, although last year was a great coaching job; should have gone deeper in the playoffs in '06 though)

5. THS (balance of power in the conference has shifted to SSHS but they can reclaim the mantle this year; I see a little slip in community support over the past few years)

Watch out for these programs over the next few years:

1. Greeneville (great coaching hire with big money support behind the program; I understand they may have lost their QB for next season, though)

2. Elizabethton (they are in a big up cycle on talent with a new coach; I do wonder how much venom is still hanging over from the previous regime)

3. Morristown East (time for the 'Canes to stop talking, step up and beat West; should have done it last year)

4. Science Hill (this is a vote from the heart, not the head; surely Gilligan can get it turned around with all the drama that it part of the most underachieving football program in the region over the past 10 years)

Were you born this way or did you have some sort of accident. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Hmm..interesting. Not sure how you claim DB as the 4th best program in the area /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> They have beat your #3 head to head each time they have played over that 5 years and other than the 7-6 in '05 they haven't even been within 4 TDs, inlcuding 2 wins over Phillips. And while I agree that Hampton is a great story they have not played for a title anymore than the other teams (after all you are penalizing DB for playoff performance in the '06 WB game). And while they have had a great run the last 3 years, they were 4-7 and 5-5 the previous 2 years...and they may fear no one, the Coalfields and Oneidas don't exactly strike fear in many. I agree they have been woefully under reported though. I will say that Morristown West has been as good as any because they are the only local 4A school that can claim multiple trips to the Maryville game as well as the last team to defeat them. They don't usually have any playoff letdowns. It will be interesting to watch the program now that Woods is gone.

This is from an Oak Ridge fan:

Based on the Farragut playoff game I am going to say right here that DB is the team to beat this coming season. The defense should improve and the return to the running game will be a plus. BTW, the new field (from pics) looks awesome, can't wait to see a game there.

Based on the Farragut playoff game I am going to say right here that DB is the team to beat this coming season. The defense should improve and the return to the running game will be a plus. BTW, the new field (from pics) looks awesome, can't wait to see a game there.

Since I only got to listen to the Farragut game, can you elaborate on what you saw that you liked? Also thanks for the kind words about the new field. We are anxious to see a game on it too.

Thank you. Its nice to here from Oak Ridge fans who always gives us respect and always gets our respect in return. Can't wait until we play this year. It will be a great game no matter whos up or whos down.

Hmm..interesting. Not sure how you claim DB as the 4th best program in the area /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> They have beat your #3 head to head each time they have played over that 5 years and other than the 7-6 in '05 they haven't even been within 4 TDs, inlcuding 2 wins over Phillips. And while I agree that Hampton is a great story they have not played for a title anymore than the other teams (after all you are penalizing DB for playoff performance in the '06 WB game). And while they have had a great run the last 3 years, they were 4-7 and 5-5 the previous 2 years...and they may fear no one, the Coalfields and Oneidas don't exactly strike fear in many. I agree they have been woefully under reported though. I will say that Morristown West has been as good as any because they are the only local 4A school that can claim multiple trips to the Maryville game as well as the last team to defeat them. They don't usually have any playoff letdowns. It will be interesting to watch the program now that Woods is gone.

Since you brought up the college polls earlier, you of all people should know that rankings do not take into account previous years.