Bearden VS. Catholic

hey g but who is reaping the benefits of the disparity last i checked it was five in a row and each year you would have contended against farragut and bearden the eventual 3A champs i would say a little more than disparity and G do you know anything about these letters does your school send letters to athletes you would like to attend or do you yourself? not accusing just curious

Just to be clear, Easttnref... You want just CAK and Catholic to play up, or all privates to play up (AAA) OR are you just wanting a clear split?

Also, I really do understand about the disparity. Yes, we have won 5 in a row, but that came with a LOT of hard work and beating some very good teams to get there. Alcoa has played us outstandingly the past 2 years in regions, we had a close one in sectionals last year with Elizabethton, and barely beat Hume Fogg in the finals. The difference between us and Bearden and Farragut is depth. While our 11 might be pretty even, there is no way we have the same quality numbers as those teams do on the bench.

I also empathize with your position, because Seymour is in the same region as CAK and Catholic. That is a TOUGH region to be in no matter what school.

The only letters I have heard about is the ones involved in the football lawsuit from years back (sorry, I forget the schools involved at this moment). All coaches sign a contract saying we will not recruit, and though it is easy to say, "well that doesn't mean they don't" I can say it does when it concerns my signature and all that we stand for. I am unaware of anyone sending out any type of letter even from the school as a broad "hey, come to CAK", but they may do public mailings...

I hope those answer your questions.

UCsoccer, I gotcha. It just sounded like you were accusing us of doing something. I am sure it happens, but I hope you know our program and the guys involved in it well enough to know that doesn't happen here.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm with you BIG G. I am aware of the outstanding respect that you and your program prides themselves on. I know players that have played for you and know the talent level that you have had. You EARNED your titles and never ment to take that away from you. I actually got the chance to play against you once (if you were the coach, it was your first year) spring 2002. Don't know if you remember this particular game but i WILL ALWAYS remember this game. Cak has always had an outstanding program (i felt little timid playing them my freshman and sophomore year). Well long story short.... I scored a first goal in the first half ( a high light in my career to score on CAK) CAK ties it up with ten min left....... Three min later we score to make it two-one. On the kickoff, A CAK player shots it, bounced over our keeper, and scored. he told me that he had tried it two other times and failed, stinks it worked against us. Only goal i have seen that upset me more was when the same kid did the same thing the following fall against my club team. Difference was I warned my club keeper he was shooting.

I agree that you do not have the depth to compare your program to schools such as Bearden and Farragut. I guess when your school has 2200+, it's easy to find kids. Teams like these have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many club kids that even their JV team is FULL of club players. I know that programs like CAK, Catholic and Notre Dame would do alright in AAA, but i agree that A/AA is the place for them in the public brackets. Remember A/AA schools like catholic, Cak, and other privates like these only give strength to your division. If you can not beat these school, this should be something to work towards. Think of it as giving A/AA a little more credibility. Who wants to say that they beat a bunch of weak teams to win a state championship? I would love to say that they highlight of my high school career was beating a program like CAK in the state tourny to win it all. Just another way to look at things.

Just to be clear, Easttnref... You want just CAK and Catholic to play up, or all privates to play up (AAA) OR are you just wanting a clear split?

Also, I really do understand about the disparity. Yes, we have won 5 in a row, but that came with a LOT of hard work and beating some very good teams to get there. Alcoa has played us outstandingly the past 2 years in regions, we had a close one in sectionals last year with Elizabethton, and barely beat Hume Fogg in the finals. The difference between us and Bearden and Farragut is depth. While our 11 might be pretty even, there is no way we have the same quality numbers as those teams do on the bench.

I also empathize with your position, because Seymour is in the same region as CAK and Catholic. That is a TOUGH region to be in no matter what school.

The only letters I have heard about is the ones involved in the football lawsuit from years back (sorry, I forget the schools involved at this moment). All coaches sign a contract saying we will not recruit, and though it is easy to say, "well that doesn't mean they don't" I can say it does when it concerns my signature and all that we stand for. I am unaware of anyone sending out any type of letter even from the school as a broad "hey, come to CAK", but they may do public mailings...

I hope those answer your questions.

UCsoccer, I gotcha. It just sounded like you were accusing us of doing something. I am sure it happens, but I hope you know our program and the guys involved in it well enough to know that doesn't happen here.

for the record i am not just for seymour i coach kids from sevier county, Gatlinburg and pigeon forge but more from sevier county than anything although i used to have a son that played at seymour

And i know you and your teams worked hard to get to where you all have been the past 5 years and it probably took alot of work before that and i am not trying to be specific just naming CAK and Catholic all the time but you are the two i know from our area

i am just concerned that all the teams in the state tournament for boys and girls are private i know a public will slip in now and again but for the most part it is the same in baseball and softball although more publics seem to fair better making it to the state just cannot get past the deep benches of the privates

I just want you too see it from where we see it that you say you don't have the depth to compete but yet you do compete with the larger schools and yet you say the smaller schools compete with you for instance alcoa where your bench rains supreme over theirs And were the number of club players on your teams triple that of the majority of AAA teams and i know the numbers vary from year to year

I don't mind playing the privates and have nothing against CAK or Catholic they are both great programs coached by what seem to be good people

It just seems to be completely unfair for privates to compete at the AAA level except for maybe new programs

i havent been on coacht in a while and because of that i was unable to post about the bearden/ catholic game. also in the game brian beckham and zach wegryn did not play at all in the game. i have been told that it is because they missed the three others games in the bearden tournament because they were on spring break so they were being punished for it. i also heard that alex widmer did not play. anyone know why?

i havent been on coacht in a while and because of that i was unable to post about the bearden/ catholic game. also in the game brian beckham and zach wegryn did not play at all in the game. i have been told that it is because they missed the three others games in the bearden tournament because they were on spring break so they were being punished for it. i also heard that alex widmer did not play. anyone know why?

Alex widmer is out for the season, he tore his ACL in the hendersonville game.

Easy way to ensure equality. Instead of just moving the privates up to AAA or having a merit based system (which would require the TSSAA to employ someone intelligent to run it), we should just ban any team that wins too much in a sport from playing that sport for a season. We need a reasonable cut-off point though. I think 5 consecutive state titles sounds like a good limit to set.

I don't mind playing the privates and have nothing against CAK or Catholic they are both great programs coached by what seem to be good people

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It is unfair for people to continuously accuse Catholic and CAK of recruiting players. MOST (not all) of their players went to one of the feeder schools. For CAK that is CAK middle school. For Catholic you have Sacred Heart, St. Josephs, St. John Neuman. The above average athletes from West Valley Bearden Middle and other local middle schools seem to flock to the better programs. It happens to be the Catholic is excelling in soccer, football, and baseball right now. CAK is improving in every sport as well, but to accuse those schools of going out and recruting is unfare to the coaches who have built those programs to their current levels. Good luck to both CAK and Catholic.

It is unfair for people to continuously accuse Catholic and CAK of recruiting players. MOST (not all) of their players went to one of the feeder schools. For CAK that is CAK middle school. For Catholic you have Sacred Heart, St. Josephs, St. John Neuman. The above average athletes from West Valley Bearden Middle and other local middle schools seem to flock to the better programs. It happens to be the Catholic is excelling in soccer, football, and baseball right now. CAK is improving in every sport as well, but to accuse those schools of going out and recruting is unfare to the coaches who have built those programs to their current levels. Good luck to both CAK and Catholic.

so what you are saying is that they do not recruit in highschool but the recruiting starts in middle school now that makes since go get the best when they are young and then bring them along in your program

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so what you are saying is that they do not recruit in highschool but the recruiting starts in middle school now that makes since go get the best when they are young and then bring them along in your program

They start recruiting in the womb. didn't you know that. Did you flunk English in high school. You mentioned something about scary on one of your earlier posts. What is scary is your total lack of skills in English. What private school did you attend? Does this sentence make since to you, I bet it does. Did you say you coached young people, now that is scary. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />