Clinton QB Transferring to Maryville?

gator

Rednblack63 acts like Maryville is the only school that gets transfers. Powell had some darn good transfers from Central in Lee Smith,Baron Huber and Kenny Cruze. Alcoa has had a few good transfers like Chris Shiverdecker. William Blount had a few like Ronald Osbourne and Aaron Carson. Maryville has gained some but lost some.

Maryville is supposed to have this great big advantage but it sure didn't help Maryville from 1978-1998. Maryville went 20 years without a State Title. In matter of fact from 1987-1997 Maryville only won 1 playoff game. In those 20 years that Maryville didn't win state I saw several 5-5 seasons and several more when they didn't make the playoffs. Maryville didn't make the playoffs in 1980,1983,1985,1988,1989,1990,1991,1993 and 1996. Maryville was 5-5 in 1989,1993 and 1996. The record books will say Maryville was 5-5 in 1990 but they were rally 4-6. William Blount killed Maryville 30-0 in 1990 but had to forfeit that game.

Maryville's biggest advantage they had in the 70s and right now is coaching. Ted Wilson and his staff were great back in the 70s. When those guys left Maryville slipped big time. Right now Maryville has the best coaching staff in the state.

Don't start this again. The Central kids you mentioned coming to Powell had to actually move in to the Powell zone to enroll at Powell. Per Knox County School policy, Powell is a closed zone. There had to be proof provided to Knox County that each of those you mentioned actually lived in the Powell zone, and given the bad blood between the two schools at the time you had better believe that it was verifed.

Powell and Halls are closed zone schools. If you don't live in those zones the only way you transfer in is to get a majority to minority transfer or transfer from a school that hasn't met the No Child Left Behind legislation, and Central wasn't one of those schools at the time.

I don't believe that Maryville recruits, and I have said so many times. They do, however, have the ability to take out of zone kids, via the tuition route, that most of the other region schools don't. Maryville has taken advantage of that in the past with some student/athletes and I don't fault them for it. They main reason student/athletes and their parents want them there is because of George Quarles, his staff, and the football program they have built.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV

I wasn't saying Powell did any wrong. Kids transfer in and out of schools all the time.

The difference is that what those kids you mentioned did wasn't a transfer. They simply enrolled in the school for which they were zoned after moving in to that zone. A transfer is a student who goes to a public school different from where they are zoned to attend. That's a huge difference.

I will be one of the first to admit that some transfer students do have an impact. I will also agree open zone type schools, which Maryville is only one of many across the state do have a slight advantage. But if you think the student athletes are sought out to transfer in for their perceived football ability you would be wrong. I have seen kids transfer out, good players who just refused to buy into the program and put in the work the coaching staff requires. Everyone with any football knowledge that has been paying attention knows Maryville is not always the biggest, fastest or the most athletic during the contests. Further Maryville is in no way a one, two or three man show and has won many games because different kids stepped up big. BB was a very good QB but I stand by what I say, he was 60-0 because of the team not because he delivered big every game.

I will be one of the first to admit that some transfer students do have an impact. I will also agree open zone type schools, which Maryville is only one of many across the state do have a slight advantage. But if you think the student athletes are sought out to transfer in for their perceived football ability you would be wrong. I have seen kids transfer out, good players who just refused to buy into the program and put in the work the coaching staff requires. Everyone with any football knowledge that has been paying attention knows Maryville is not always the biggest, fastest or the most athletic during the contests. Further Maryville is in no way a one, two or three man show and has won many games because different kids stepped up big. BB was a very good QB but I stand by what I say, he was 60-0 because of the team not because he delivered big every game.

I don't disagree with anything you said, FBE. If you have followed what I have said over the years you know that I'm not one of the "Maryvlle haters" that have been on this forum. Maryville is good because of the system that Coach Quarles and his staff have put in place and the ability to get the most out of the players they have. It's because of that they have been able to attract players and parents to either move in to the Maryville zone or get players through the tuition option to come in as freshmen.

Would Maryville have been 60-0 over Brent's 4 years without him? We'll never know, but he and his parents made the right decision for him in the end. He was always a talented quarterback, but he was able to expand that talent in Coach Quarles' system.

There hasn't been one football player transfer to Maryville for educational purposes. Moving to Maryville after the fact doesn't disregard the original transfer. Nor does it mean that a dual residence isn't involved.

Lets further investigate the impact of transfer/tuition students on a Football Program. Back in the early to mid 2000's Knox Central had a great number of transfers and enjoyed a great deal of success second only to Maryville another Tuition/transfer school. Now that Central hasn't had as many transfers over the past couple of years you will notice they aren't experiencing as much success. Last year they didn't even make the play offs and it looks like more of the same this coming year. Regardless of why students transfer to a school the ability to take transfers/tuittion students can be a tremendous boast to the football program. Which both Maryville and Central has taken advantage of over the past years. As always my primary point is simple if schools except tuition students they should be treated like a private school and apply the multiplier. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

hey chuck , i do not know of any player for MARYVILLE since I have been a fan that has not lived in the city of MARYVILLE or BLOUNT COUNTY. I graduated from Central and I can tell you that the educational aspects of MARYVILLE CITY SCHOOLS far out way most others and if you graduate out here you are not getting a drive by diploma. I will say that even w/o BB the REBELS would have handed the Bobcats the "L". If you need to know what you can do with your multiplier just ask.