Summer Team Camps

MIDTN

Bradford is the team to beat in our district and looks really good. Bradford beat everybody at the Wayne County Camp and most everybody at the Westview Camp.

Look out for Westview this year. Westview beat Bradford by 15 and it could have been worse.

that is a little surprising. Bradford was extremely good when i saw them and they did beat everyone at the Wayne county camp by quite a bit. However, Westview, who i was told returned all starters, lost games to teams like Wayne county and Perry county, both of whom are rebuilding but do have quite a bit of young talent. That amber girl they had was really the only one to really score and she hardly ever came out of the games. everyone else struggled, but obviously they played alot better against Bradford than they did at Wayne county.

I would be shocked if bradford did not make it to state, even the state championship game. they are a definite contender for the class A title from what i can tell.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sequatchie played at the Lee University camp and did okay at times though just winning 1 of 3. The first game was a 10 point loss to Buford GA from the Atlanta area. Buford has one player who has commited to play at Auburn and another who's receiving heavy interest from Georgia. Sequatchie stayed close for a while, trailed by 4 at the half, Buford's lead was 8-12 most of the second half. That was a disciplined team, whenever they allowed an offensive rebound, a player gave poor effort, etc, all five were taken out and had to run a few sprints. Those things didn't happen very often.

Next game was against Cleveland. They lost 3 good seniors from last year with all three signing Division I but I wouldn't count them out just yet. They have a good post, a point who looks like she understands the game and a couple of good athletes and one of those can shoot well. Sequatchie led by 2 at the half, the teams swapped the lead throughout the second half. In the second half the person operating the clock lost track of the score after a basket and it was wrong the rest of the game, In a real game that would have been fixed. Cleveland won by a point. Just a camp game but that was annoying, they were down 2 late and the scoreboard showed down 3, they would have played it differently (had to purposely miss a free throw in the last couple of seconds as the scoreboard read 36-34, when a made FT would have tied it had the score been correct).

Third game was against Bradley Central. The game was fast paced and pretty rough. Two of the refs rarely called anything even when players hit the floor or were hit hard enough to normally draw one (usually Seq) and the third was talking to the coach much of the game when things could have been called. I thought Seq did not respond well to the rough play in the first half, turned the ball over 8 times and maybe was expecting fouls to be called and they weren't. They toughened up in the second half, turned the ball over just twice and allowed just one offensive rebound in the second half, outscored Bradley by nine and won the game by five. That was clearly the best performance of the three games.

Several of the teams were from out of state and it was not easy to tell who was who in some games. Cleveland beat a team from Kentucky by around 20. Harden Valley was down by around 10 late to a Kentucky team and cut it down to 1 in the last seconds before losing. I don't know how many of them played together previously but they looked as if they had things together despite being a brand new school. Buford GA beat a team from Bowling Green pretty badly, Buford probably played the best of any team I saw Thursday.

Gainesville GA should be a tough oppoent in the next couple of days, they lost by 6 to Buford last season.

Buford's Alverson: http://www.hoopgurlz.com/player/blanche-alverson

Click stories and school for more info. 6'3" and can shoot, not bad quickness and good overall size.

Bradford is the team to beat in our district and looks really good. Bradford beat everybody at the Wayne County Camp and most everybody at the Westview Camp.

Look out for Westview this year. Westview beat Bradford by 15 and it could have been worse.

Greenfield fan..I'm going to go with my Lady Falcons to win the district..I know Greenfield has most or all their players back and our games with Greenfield were close..The playoff game against Bradford last year at Bradford could have gone either way until Lake Co had a couple starters foul out late in the game..If I'm not mistaken..Queenie Jordan,Renita Kinney,and Sarah Wallace all fouled out..How many players did Bradford lose besides Proudfit?Seems like they had another girl that could really handle the ball that was a senior also.Had dark hair..Very good ball player..Can't remember her name...but I think she got in foul trouble against us also and may have fouled out with about 3 minutes left..But it's hard to go to Bradford and win..I really believe Lake Co will be better this year than last year..have more girls off the bench that can play...will be quicker..press should be a lot better than last year ,leading to a lot of layups..better defensively..You could be right..but we'll see..With Greenfield,Gleason,Bradford,Lake Co.,Union City ,etc...our district should be pretty tough his year..

Sequatchie finished relatively well at the Lee University camp. I don't think they were satisfied with their games Thursday even though all three were against good competition-Buford GA, Cleveland, Bradley Central. They lost by 4 to Gainesville GA, rated 12th last season in Georgia's AAA (out of five classes), but beat Model High from Rome GA, 8th in Georgia AA, by 11. Most impressive win was beating Northwest Whitfield GA by 25. They were the top team in upper North Georgia last year by the end of the season, advanced to the AAAA state tournament and have a ton of height in the post (6'3" and 6'5"). Another loss was to some of Lee University's younger players in a scrimmage but only by 4 points. Good way to end the camp season.

Chipper..Have you not seen Lake Co at any of the camps?I talked to one of their players and was told that Lake Co had only lost 1 game in the camps so far..And I don'rt believe..or don't know if Renita Kinney has been playing..With 3 starters back..T.T.Flowers should fill in one of the spots vacated by Sarah Wallace and Queenie Jordan..I look for the other spot to go to either the Mendez girl or Carnation Hart,who along with T.T. was on a loaded middle school team..I actually believe Lake Co will be quicer this year with these players..

I didnt see them at the camps i went to.My preseason picks:1.Gleason 2.Bradford 3.Greenfield 4.Union City 5.Lake Co 6.Dresden 7.Humboldt 8.So. Fulton 9.Trenton 10.Halls

I didnt see them at the camps i went to.My preseason picks:1.Gleason 2.Bradford 3.Greenfield 4.Union City 5.Lake Co 6.Dresden 7.Humboldt 8.So. Fulton 9.Trenton 10.Halls

Chipper ..You could be right about Lake Co because they lost Sarah Wallace and Queenie Jordan but with 3 starters back...and T.T.Flowers and Carnation Hart moving up..feel like they will be a quicker team..And the Mendez started playing more last year and will be a sophomore..She hustles all over the floor..I know it's a difference going from middle school to high school but T.T. was usually,if not always the best athlete on the floor every game last year on either team.Not saying they will be great outside shooters but will be very athletic..speed alone will win a lot of games..Teams aren't going to be able to make lazy passes..Haven't seen Lake Co but I believe Lake Co split with Gleason last year,beat Greenfield each time I believe ..lost all the games to Bradford last year in close games,and with T.T. and Carnation..I just feel this years team will be better...

Bradford has more talent than anyone in 14A. Bradford is not as deep on the bench as last year but they have good size and good team speed. They will press you all game and they play good defense.

Gleason, Humboldt, Lake County, Union City & Dresden all should fight it out for the 2 spot. Each one of those five teams have good returning players and you can make a case for each team.

Greenfield..I didn't see your girls on your list..I was impressed with the Lady Jackets,especialy as young as thet were..Have better shooters from the outside than Lake Co does and I thought Jordan Gailey played well every game I saw her..I believe the Jackets did have 1 senior that I remember....I read about Bradford..Is Molly Wallsmith the dark black haired girl that really handles the ball well and in my opinion,was the 2nd best player on their team ,behind Proudfit..But in my opinion,wasn't much difference between the two players..If she is..I didn't realize she was just a sophomore..I'm still going with Lake Co...lol

Yes, Molly Wallsmith was the dark haired girl and is only a Junior this year. She's GOOD! I believe she will turn out to be better than Proudfit. I watched her play several times this year in AAU and she held her own and then some.

I believe you're right..That's why I said was in my opinion not much difference between the two girls,at least to me..But with her only being a sophomore..feel like she will be better....But..I could be wrong,but with Proudfit being with her..couldn't key on either one or the other would hurt you..Now with Proudfit gone..does Bradford have the other weapons,mainly outside shooters to maybe take pressure off her..Evidentely they must by some of the posts I've read..but I feel like the Abbott girl or maybe even T.T. guarding her will be able to give her some trouble..Lake Co's best player Renita Kinney suffered a shoulder injury at tournament time and I expect her to have a good season..With Abbot,Kinney,T.T. Flowers,and the Mendez girl on the floor..should be the quickest team in District 14A..Lake Co hasn't had anyone to bring the ball up court against a press the past few seasons or at least when they did..was shaky..I believe with T.T. ..everyone will just get out of the way and she'll break it most times by herself...I may eat crow by the end of the year and Lake Co may not do as well as I expect..but these freshmen coming in are as good as most teams sophomores..Every game last year was won by double digits,some by 40 points..And in most games..the starters were pulled close to half time...And they were playing larger schools,Dyersburg,Northview,Humboldt,Three Oaks,U.C..Even in the Small school State game Lake Co beat an undefeated Martin team by about 15 points..I know one key player is still at the middle school but these girls can play..