Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

You must be outta' the loop GC, your wrong about just about everything. I don't know about the scrimmage against Tennessee High as that was way back in the day when gas was selling for 29 cents a gal. YES DB did offer GC a game the next year after the scrimmage. You probably don't know about that unless you were in the room when the call was made. I know that one didn't get out to the GC crowd. Would be to embarressing and would throw water on that still hyped game from the 70's. I don't know how you compair the scrimmage to your state championship other than it shows how weak the compatition is in South West Va. And you still got "steemrolled". Nothing changes that.

Not exactly sure what "embarressing and compair" mean, but I wasn't making a comparison between a scrimmage and a state championship. My point was, a scrimmage means absolutely nothing. Whether it's in 1970 or 2008. A scrimmage should be a learning tool and measuring stick. If we get out tails whipped in every scrimmage from now until the end of time, I can live with that as long as we have a respectful season. We took a very young team to a state championship game last year and lost 52-0 to a very very good football team. Bottom line, we were still at a football game that day. How many state championship games have you attended?

This thread was supposedly about the Top 25 historical teams in Tennessee, not Virginia.

Not exactly sure what "embarressing and compair" mean, but I wasn't making a comparison between a scrimmage and a state championship. My point was, a scrimmage means absolutely nothing. Whether it's in 1970 or 2008. A scrimmage should be a learning tool and measuring stick. If we get out tails whipped in every scrimmage from now until the end of time, I can live with that as long as we have a respectful season. We took a very young team to a state championship game last year and lost 52-0 to a very very good football team. Bottom line, we were still at a football game that day. How many state championship games have you attended?

This thread was supposedly about the Top 25 historical teams in Tennessee, not Virginia.

Then why are you even on here spewing your opinions? It's pretty easy to be top dog when you play Podunk High every year. The arrogance of the GC people never ceases to amaze me. Didn't you learn any humility after being drubbed in that game? All I can say is "GRETNA WHO?

It might be interesting if there were 2 lists for historical teams: the pre playoff teams and the playoff teams.

That might reduce comparing apples to oranges. I know there are a lot of posters on here with that knowledge and ability to do it.

Good idea. I suggested lists by decade as a way to add depth and additional validity.

You must be outta' the loop GC, your wrong about just about everything. I don't know about the scrimmage against Tennessee High as that was way back in the day when gas was selling for 29 cents a gal. YES DB did offer GC a game the next year after the scrimmage. You probably don't know about that unless you were in the room when the call was made. I know that one didn't get out to the GC crowd. Would be to embarressing and would throw water on that still hyped game from the 70's. I don't know how you compair the scrimmage to your state championship other than it shows how weak the compatition is in South West Va. And you still got "steemrolled". Nothing changes that.

Prove it Waco. Until then, it's just your word and not too many people will believe you. The only thing that is certain about all this is, the last time GC played D-B, D-B got "steemrolled" like you prefer to say. Oh, and "nothing changes that". /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Then why are you even on here spewing your opinions? It's pretty easy to be top dog when you play Podunk High every year. The arrogance of the GC people never ceases to amaze me. Didn't you learn any humility after being drubbed in that game? All I can say is "GRETNA WHO?

This folks is what's called "the pot calling the kettle black"! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> And before you start asking "Gretna Who?", you better look at those highlights. That team looked awesome. Quincy, do you know how many of those boys, uh I mean men, went D-1A? And, DBT, before you start putting down Va teams, you better look and see which state puts out more college players. Especially, D-1A. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm "spewing my opinion" because GC was brought into it. I'm sorry your home town paper puts us on the front page more than they do you, but we have no control over that. You shouldn't let that cloud your vision.

This folks is what's called "the pot calling the kettle black"! And before you start asking "Gretna Who?", you better look at those highlights. That team looked awesome. Quincy, do you know how many of those boys, uh I mean men, went D-1A? And, DBT, before you start putting down Va teams, you better look and see which state puts out more college players. Especially, D-1A.

Not sure how many got scholarships, but their QB was a freshman and is awesome. They graduated the majority of their playmakers so we'll see how he does with fewer options.

I'm "spewing my opinion" because GC was brought into it. I'm sorry your home town paper puts us on the front page more than they do you, but we have no control over that. You shouldn't let that cloud your vision.

Not sure how many got scholarships, but their QB was a freshman and is awesome. They graduated the majority of their playmakers so we'll see how he does with fewer options.

In other words, Gate City got beat 52-0 by a team with a freshman QB and no D-1A players. Actually who cares. Theres only a hand full of people outside of upper east tn. that's even heard of Gate City. So lets get back to the topic.

FYI-the reason SW Va gets a lot of coverage in both news and sports at the Times-News is because there are no other newspapers that cover that area. They have thousands of subscribers between KY and Abingdon VA and they're trying to sell newspapers. Don't try to read more into it than that (no pun intended).

First of all..what a great topic this is. As to the original list all those schools have very good traditions and its hard to argue their place on the list. But it does seem like it is Middle and East Tennessee biased. Only 4 teams listed west of the TN River. I`d add Haywood High School and also Jackson Central-Merry (especially if you consider the old Jackson High Golden Bears teams before consolidation). The Cougars/Golden Bears have had great success and Brownsville has always been a hot bed of talent and was coached for years by nationally renowned Coach John Hooper.

An MBA-Litton game in the mid to late '50's was one of the biggest games in the city. I don't recall Litton being especially powerful after the mid '60's, but by that time, Maplewood had opened, and took some talent that otherwise would have been at Litton.

Springfield and MBA was a big game in large part due to the stature of the coaches, Boyce Smith and Tommy Owen.

Through the '50's, East was also a top power.

Well to tell the truth when Madiosn opened it took away a lot of talent then Maplewood came a long. Madison became a power house in the 60's.