Who would be State Champion IF there was only 1?

I realize that it would be a case of the "haves" and the "have nots" but if Tennessee were to have a playoff after all the state champions were crowned and have another mini-playoff to determine the "TRUE" State Champion who would it be this year? What would the title game look like. If i had to guess i would say it would probably be MBA vs. Maryville. Whats everyones opinion on this? I'm sure the 5A and 6A schools would have something to say about it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Very tough question to answer... If you count the past 10 years... I would guess that Maryville would have the most, maybe 3 or 4. You also have to throw the perrenial powers in there like Riverdale, MBA, BA etc. Still a very hard one to guess at. You just never know. As for this year, I need to see the all the teams playing at the boro to make the decision.

I realize that it would be a case of the "haves" and the "have nots" but if Tennessee were to have a playoff after all the state champions were crowned and have another mini-playoff to determine the "TRUE" State Champion who would it be this year? What would the title game look like. If i had to guess i would say it would probably be MBA vs. Maryville. Whats everyones opinion on this? I'm sure the 5A and 6A schools would have something to say about it.

In the dark ages, when there were only 3 classifications of football in Tennessee, you could probably say that the AAA champion was the best team in the state (usually, not always). There was generally a significant difference in enrollment in the AA champion (below 1,000, if memory serves) and the AAA champion. Now, with so many classifications and a Division II, the differences in enrollment are less significant. It would be impossible to offer any sort of defintive answer.

But probably MBA most years.

Maryville wins and its not even a contest, George Quarles does not loose. Aloca would play them closer given the opporunity for a rematch but George is too smart to let them win. MBA might give them a decent game but Maryvile wins. As for Symrna, they would not be able to out game plan Quarles, and of theese three teams they would experience the most significant margin of deafeat I don't believe they could keep within 17 points in a game that Quarles had to win. As for the rest of the state, they might as well not show up.

Maryville wins and its not even a contest, George Quarles does not loose. Aloca would play them closer given the opporunity for a rematch but George is too smart to let them win. MBA might give them a decent game but Maryvile wins. As for Symrna, they would not be able to out game plan Quarles, and of theese three teams they would experience the most significant margin of deafeat I don't believe they could keep within 17 points in a game that Quarles had to win. As for the rest of the state, they might as well not show up.

Don't misunderstand me now because Maryville fans have every right to be supremely confident in their team's coach George Quarles. However, if George Quarles thought like the above, Hillsboro would have won the state championship against Maryville in both 2001 and 2002 without much of a problem.

George Quarles always makes sure his boys don't take anything or anybody for granted. They can't afford to because they don't always have more talent or more athletes than their opponents. That is why they haven't lost since Hillsboro won the state championship in 2003. They listen to their coach and their coach doesn't allow them to think that all they have to do in order to win is just show up. He knows if his team isn't giving their best every game they could get beat. For this reason, among others, George Quarles is a very respectable coach.

Alcoa, Hillsboro, MBA, BA, and probably Smyrna can all hang with Maryville. One of those might even beat Maryville. All of those teams are very well coached and have pretty good talent. Any given day......

• 2 weeks later...

Don't misunderstand me now because Maryville fans have every right to be supremely confident in their team's coach George Quarles. However, if George Quarles thought like the above, Hillsboro would have won the state championship against Maryville in both 2001 and 2002 without much of a problem.

George Quarles always makes sure his boys don't take anything or anybody for granted. They can't afford to because they don't always have more talent or more athletes than their opponents. That is why they haven't lost since Hillsboro won the state championship in 2003. They listen to their coach and their coach doesn't allow them to think that all they have to do in order to win is just show up. He knows if his team isn't giving their best every game they could get beat. For this reason, among others, George Quarles is a very respectable coach.

Alcoa, Hillsboro, MBA, BA, and probably Smyrna can all hang with Maryville. One of those might even beat Maryville. All of those teams are very well coached and have pretty good talent. Any given day......

I dont think Maryville would go undefeated if they played in D2