ensworth

overseascoach

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education...t-Colleges-2009

yeah if i paid 18,000 a year i would expect the staff to get my child into some of the finer colleges. You dont think that at Brentwood or Ravenwood they have high expectations?

I am sure that Brentwood and Ravenwood have very high expectations but show me their results. Would you please post their whole (not partial) matriculation list?

Look, I have "ZERO" affiliation with MBA or any other prep school but I have seen the results of what an education from their schools can do for individuals.

Given the opportunity to choose their students and turn away those who may not succeed, any public school could have as many graduates who attend great colleges. I--as a public school educator--teach all who cross my doorway. I am hopefully able to make some difference to all who need me--not just those interested in college. I understand why someone might be drawn to prep schools and privates--students in isolated situations tend to be easier to influence (in a good way) to get serious about education. It takes all kinds to make a balanced world. God didn't intend for all of us to be the same.

I am sure that Brentwood and Ravenwood have very high expectations but show me their results. Would you please post their whole (not partial) matriculation list?

Look, I have "ZERO" affiliation with MBA or any other prep school but I have seen the results of what an education from their schools can do for individuals.

The staff doesn't do anything to get the boys into these school other then prepare them well and have high expectations. There is no one at MBA with direct line to the Dean of Admissions at Harvard to tell them they have to take a boy. I know a boy a couple of years ago with above a 4.00 GPA and 1600 SAT and he was waitlisted at MIT ( he eventually got in). There are schools around that have taken a large number of boys over the years from MBA and know how the MBA boys do at their school. So maybe an MBA boy gets in with a 3.5 vs a kid from another school with the same grades etc who may not get in because the college has a good idea of how the MBA student will perform. At our college night a couple of years ago one college that is very difficult and very selective made the statement that over the years every MBA boy that graduated from their college did so with a higher GPA then they had in high school, so that college loves taking MBA boys. That could just as easily happen with a Brentwood or Ravenwood, if everything is equal.

well i wish i could show you those of brentwood but wait let me call over to thier school and ask them to send me a copy where thier Sr class went to college? How have you seen the results do you have your own survey group ? Of course they are gonna have kids that go to some to some of the so called party schools aka Wisconsin,U of Tennessee Florida, Bama etc that is becasue they graduate some 600 plus kids from thier class- i am sure many could choose some of the ones you have mentioned but want to attend an Alabama for many reasons (aka close to home, thier dad went to school there,etc etc)

Switch Brentwood's students with MBA's, just swap buildings, and what do you think would be the result after four years? Even with Brentwood being in an affluent area, some of its students just won't be college material. I believe it has a lot more to do with the individual students, their own motivations, their parent support over the years (even before entering 9th grade), than it does the building they're in. And of course quality of teachers is a factor but I doubt Brentwood or Ravenwood is hurting.

well i wish i could show you those of brentwood but wait let me call over to thier school and ask them to send me a copy where thier Sr class went to college? How have you seen the results do you have your own survey group ? Of course they are gonna have kids that go to some to some of the so called party schools aka Wisconsin,U of Tennessee Florida, Bama etc that is becasue they graduate some 600 plus kids from thier class- i am sure many could choose some of the ones you have mentioned but want to attend an Alabama for many reasons (aka close to home, thier dad went to school there,etc etc)

The college matriculation list for the Montgomery Bell Academy class of 2008 is on the MBA website. Most schools also list the students names & the colleges/universities they will attend in the graduation program.

Given the opportunity to choose their students and turn away those who may not succeed, any public school could have as many graduates who attend great colleges. I--as a public school educator--teach all who cross my doorway. I am hopefully able to make some difference to all who need me--not just those interested in college. I understand why someone might be drawn to prep schools and privates--students in isolated situations tend to be easier to influence (in a good way) to get serious about education. It takes all kinds to make a balanced world. God didn't intend for all of us to be the same.

Your point is very well taken. I would add that parental involvement is an important asset at MBA, as is the small enrollment: nobody falls through the cracks. It's no accident that most of the school shootings have occurred in large schools.

It hasn't always been that way. In the '50's, MBA had a great deal of difficulty filling the junior school. In those days, the public schools were as good as MBA: why pay when the same quality education is available at no additional cost? Of course, that was also in the day of the neighborhood school. Consolidation may be economically advantageous, but at much too high a cost.

I'm sure you make great contributions in your position in the public schools. I just wish you had a few more resources, and few less students.

• 2 weeks later...

I still havent heard anything on the young man from Mt. Pleasant whats his progress, how is he doing on the gridiron

I would like to hear also. If he is playing I would come watch week 10 when we are off. I'd like to see how he is doing agianst DII schools. I guarantee he is manhandling some kids if he is on the field.

If you are a student, or a parent of a student, you should do some additional research before the college application process begins. Lumping in all those "party schools" together is not representative of the relative quality of the institutions, nor is it representative of the admissions standards.

In the latest US News & World Report rankings of National Universities, Wisconsin was #35, Florida #49, Alabama #83, and Tennessee #105. Not that rankings are everything, but if your assumption is that a student can screw around in high school and still get into a Wisconsin or a Florida, that would be a big mistake. Unless you are a Division 1 recruited athlete, it takes a 3.8 GPA or better, as well as very good (I'm talking 30+ ACT, or 1950+ SAT) test scores to get in to those schools.

When they get there, I'm certain there will be good parties as well!

Brentwood High is an excellent school, BTW, and they certainly have their share or more of graduates going to the top universities.