William Blount vs Sevier County

GovMan

Getting closer and closer to first game of the year and I can't wait. This rivalry between the Govs and the Smoky Bears has developed into a good one. Not sure if this will be the last year for it in regular season or not, but these two teams have played some exciting games the past few years--both regular season and play-offs.

So I haven't been seeing a lot about this year's Sevier County team. What can we expect?

WB will have the home field advantage, but they'll also be fielding a lot of young and inexperienced talent. Plus, there's the qb situation, with the two guys who were battling for the starting spot both out with injuries. If star rb/receiver Garner is forced to play quarterback, he'll certainly be a weapon ... but I'm sure the coaches would prefer him to be able to be the dangerous double threat he is when he's lining up at rb.

I'm excited about getting to see the Gov defense take the field. I think this year's "d" is going to be special.

Any Sevier County folks out there? What do we have to look forward to?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to one of the coaches earlier this week and he told me that Garner was there man till wither Witt or Burton can play. Seems like Garner has played QB before, am I correct? I think that he will be OK. I look for the QB scramble to be a highly sued play, it will be very tough to contain Garner if he flushed out of the pocket.

Getting closer and closer to first game of the year and I can't wait. This rivalry between the Govs and the Smoky Bears has developed into a good one. Not sure if this will be the last year for it in regular season or not, but these two teams have played some exciting games the past few years--both regular season and play-offs.

So I haven't been seeing a lot about this year's Sevier County team. What can we expect?

WB will have the home field advantage, but they'll also be fielding a lot of young and inexperienced talent. Plus, there's the qb situation, with the two guys who were battling for the starting spot both out with injuries. If star rb/receiver Garner is forced to play quarterback, he'll certainly be a weapon ... but I'm sure the coaches would prefer him to be able to be the dangerous double threat he is when he's lining up at rb.

I'm excited about getting to see the Gov defense take the field. I think this year's "d" is going to be special.

Any Sevier County folks out there? What do we have to look forward to?

Agreed GovMan. Last year withstanding, this series has produced some of the most memorable games that have taken place in our last few seasons. Like you, I am also hoping that the series will not be terminated when the new realignment kicks in next year.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to offer too much insight as I have not attended any of the practice sessions this year. Also finding informed SC fans posting on coacht is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Based on the unproven underclassmen and then factoring in how many (if any) off of last years good Freshmen team could possibly make an immediate impact and the "guess o’meter" will be off the charts, but here goes.

Our offense sputtered something terrible at times last year due to a mired of problems. Everything from inconsistent QB play to a lack of playmakers at the WR position to just poor execution all the way around contributed to a rather lackluster unit that struggled to put points on the board or move the ball consistently against the better teams. The QB position will be especially interesting to see how it is addressed as a Steve Brewer coached team's success is always predicated on good QB play. This year the new QB will be Zack Flynn who throws a nice "touch" pass but is an average runner and a little on the short side (5'-9"). Key, returning players to look out for on the offense are WR’s Patrick Miller and Andrew Feezel. Underclassmen WR Charlie Fields and TE Alex Pate (6'-2") may also factor in to help give a much needed boost to the passing game. As far as the running attack, Tyler Thomas is a shifty sparkplug who will start at TB and had a very good Sophomore season before slumping with the rest of the team last year. We may also see Dakota Cogdill, a young but rugged RB who played very well for the Freshmen last year come in and contribute early. Patrick Sutton is the best of the three returning starters on the O Line and is a good one to build around. In light of the way this side of the ball performed last year and all of the question marks surrounding the new personnel this is a tough group to give an informed opinion on but if our passing attacke doesn't improve we will be hurting again.

On the defense side we were solid for the most part. OK against the run with occasional breakdowns in our pass defense. It also didn’t help that the defense was repeatedly put in difficult situations due to the offense's inability to move the chains and by the numerous turnovers that were committed. We also lacked for depth and overall size up front so combined with their extended minutes they were forced to play, the bigger more physical teams would pound on us until we were just worn out by the second half of a lot of games. Our secondary was also very inexperienced as they were replacing three talented starters so we had occasional issues with blown assignments and young players getting their baptism by fire. My guess is that we will still run some variation of the 3-5 to utilize our team speed and quickness. Again, based on last years results, the players to watch for are DB Patrick Miller and specifically #1 Andrew Feezel who at LB is a real ball hawk.

As far as the The kicking game is concerned I really don't have a clue who will be handling the punting, kickoffs or returns. I guess since there was no glaring weaknesses last year (nor standouts for that matter) you could say it was probably average by most standards. Hopefully, we will not have a repeat of the same kicking nightmare that we had when we last visited WB back in ’06.

This may not be a region game but after last year’s very disappointing season (the first losing record I can remember under Brewer) this team needs a confidence builder in a big way so in that regard it is a very important to get off to a good start this season. I don't have any preconceived notions of grandeur for this team (I believe next year will be our stronger team by far) but I would look for improvement across the board and a return to the playoffs. As far as this game goes I am guessing a season opening loss to a rebuilding WB offense that will still have a very good defense to fall back on.

Maybe some SC fans that attended either the McCallie Camp or other scrimmages can chime in with more detailed info.

Good to hear from you Bear. I was hoping you'd stumble upon this thread. I feel kind of similar to you in trying to predict too much about WB. I just havn't been down to see them practice that much this year. I know we have some top notch talent coming back, but we also have several big holes to fill.

Last year, your jv team defeated ours in a close game and your freshmen whupped us pretty good. With Coach Brewer and his staff, I would suspect that it will be a close game either way it goes. I'm excited about Coach Wilhite making his head coaching debut for the Govs. I hate not to have Coach Meadows at the helm, but I believe he's left the program in good hands with Coach "W" and the rest of the fine staff.

Bear, are you planning on making the trip down to Maryville for the game?

Good to hear from you Bear. I was hoping you'd stumble upon this thread. I feel kind of similar to you in trying to predict too much about WB. I just havn't been down to see them practice that much this year. I know we have some top notch talent coming back, but we also have several big holes to fill.

Last year, your jv team defeated ours in a close game and your freshmen whupped us pretty good. With Coach Brewer and his staff, I would suspect that it will be a close game either way it goes. I'm excited about Coach Wilhite making his head coaching debut for the Govs. I hate not to have Coach Meadows at the helm, but I believe he's left the program in good hands with Coach "W" and the rest of the fine staff.

Bear, are you planning on making the trip down to Maryville for the game?

GovMan

Lord willing, I plan on being there. Always enjoy the trip to WB. Nice folks, good stadium. In fact, I enjoyed WB's new found spread offense (made me long for the Joey Matthews/Shane Kelly years) and hard hitting defense so much last year that I ended up attending as many WB games (DB, Ooltewah and classics like Maryville, Farragut) as I did SC's./rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> That was some high level football.

Drats! I just read coonhunter's brief recap of the Clinton/SC scrimmage. I may have to downgrade my limited expectations for this team even more now. Man, I hope the the team, coaches and us fans don't have to endure another one like last season. I know coach Brewer doesn't put a lot of stock in scrimmage results but that is still disheartning news.

SCBear

Did you make the Jamboree? If so what do you think??? I was concerned about our offence. Now I'am worried about the defence. The injury bug just keeps biting. Reckon we should call Orkin????

tpoole12

GO GOVS

tpoole12

I didn't make it out to the Jamboree. Never have been much of a fan of those things actually with the starters playing next to nothing and the very short play time. Was hoping myself that someone who braved the long drive out to Heritage would give a brief recap of the SC/Alcoa game. Probably better that they didn't though since Alcoa handled us as easy as I was afraid they would. On the bright side, the Maryville Times reported that SC represented pretty well during the halftime competition. Zack Flynn threw the longest pass (heard the receiver dropped it though) and Aaron Pippen won the fastest back (though it was called back because of a clip). /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Sorry to here about Garner. A very exciting playmaker that was fun to watch last year and will surely be missed by a young WB offense. This game sounds like it could be shaping up as one serious defensive battle now. With SC's apparent offensive woes still lingering over from last season and now a young WB minus their best offensive weapon we may have to forget the points and instead proclaim the team with the most yards as the winner (I'll still take WB however just because of Cole Lail).

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> 4 more days.. Fall football has come in a hurry...Hope this is a good showing by both sides.. But as youth is said.. Sorry Willy B.. My liturature says diffrent.. S.C. is younger and less experienced.. So you may not need garner anyways.. But if the youth is as talented as they say at S.C. they will win this game..

Good luck to both sides and I hope that everyone is safe..

My guess is Sevier County wins 24 - 14..

I don't put stock on Jamborees but Greenback made Willy B's defense look as though they we're standing still...

And Sevier County will move the ball.. And they're defense is better than last years..