Privates going DII?

NonUTFan

Alcoa, pay $500 and anyone can go there. It's like a private/public school but they don't get hit with the 1.8 multiplier. Level playing field anyone?

If they made Alcoa and Maryville use a 1.2 - 1.8 multiplier, do you think they would still win it every year?

I do. The open enrollment in some school systems doesn't have anything to do with athletics. It has something to do with ed-u-ca-tion and is set up that way by the local school boards.

Edit: Keep in mind that Alcoa, Maryville, William Blount High and Maryville Heritage are all in Blount County. Alcoa is a city school as is Maryville and the latter 2 are county schools. That area has always had good football teams. Walland was a perennial class A power until several small schools were closed in Blount County. Two city school boards and the county school board are the ones that make the decision on open enrollment.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can attend any school in Tennessee that you want to that is not zoned by paying a fee-but TSSAA has very specific rules as to how and when athletes can make the move without giving up eligibility to play. It's not as simple as just paying a fee/tuition.

Here in Giles County we have two county high schools Giles and Richland. Any student wishing to attend Giles County High is eligible because it is not zoned, but you may only attend Richland if you live within the Richland school zone, but an athlete can only change to Giles County from Richland after his eighth grade year or if they move out of the Richland zone without any loss of eligibilty.

Alot of discussion about middle and west TN private schools moving to D2, anybody have an idea about East TN school moving? BBS, CAK, the Grace Schools, CCS?

I've heard some chatter about some of the schools you mentioned and to be honest, if Boyd gets put into a region with teams 3 times their size (like the initial reports showed) then I think it would make a lot of sense to make the jump. Although, for the teams that would remain in 1A I don't think it would benefit them much at all.

First off I have not seen that article but that does not mean that 25% of their football players are on tuition. Same goes for Alcoa, our major players are home grown, look at this years team and tell me what major players are tuition, same for the last couple years. The same goes for Maryvilles best players.

You wonder how they are so good year in and year out? Maybe I can help you there. It starts with a youth program that idolizes and aspires to be champions like older brothers and family members. You teach those kids a little more of the system each year, as they progress they stay in that system. This creates a feeder program that eases the transition to high school. Alcoa has the Hall Community, I know the majority of people have no idea what that is, but that is a hotbed for tallent that drives Alcoa towards championships. Add community pride and support, tradition and discipline and you have a solid team. I will admit we had one major recruit we got ahold of. His name was Gary Rankin and we pay him. He is what will keep the program on track.

On the issue of tuition, Alcoa has always been that way but no one cared untill they began winning. In Blount County there are 4 schools. 2 county schools (Heritage and William Blount) and 2 city schools (Alcoa and Maryville). If you live in the city you pay both county and city taxes so your kid can go to any of the 4 schools. Even if your kid goes to city parts of your taxes still go to the county school. If you live in the county you only pay county taxes so in order to go to a city school you must pay tuition. The county schools are overcrowded and WB has many mobile classrooms. On the academic side both schools rank below Alcoa and Maryville when it comes to testing. This is part of the reason Maryville may have 25% tuition students. It is a complex situation in Blount County. It is sad that success leads to accusations of recruiting and underhanded tactics, when in reality they are desciplined, play assignement football and win as a team.

I agree that both have excellent youth programs as does Catholic BUT you've got to admit it doesn't hurt to have a Lanxter, Sommer, Burnette, Douglas, Clendenan etc transfer in......

First off I have not seen that article but that does not mean that 25% of their football players are on tuition. Same goes for Alcoa, our major players are home grown, look at this years team and tell me what major players are tuition, same for the last couple years. The same goes for Maryvilles best players.

You wonder how they are so good year in and year out? Maybe I can help you there. It starts with a youth program that idolizes and aspires to be champions like older brothers and family members. You teach those kids a little more of the system each year, as they progress they stay in that system. This creates a feeder program that eases the transition to high school. Alcoa has the Hall Community, I know the majority of people have no idea what that is, but that is a hotbed for tallent that drives Alcoa towards championships. Add community pride and support, tradition and discipline and you have a solid team. I will admit we had one major recruit we got ahold of. His name was Gary Rankin and we pay him. He is what will keep the program on track.

On the issue of tuition, Alcoa has always been that way but no one cared untill they began winning. In Blount County there are 4 schools. 2 county schools (Heritage and William Blount) and 2 city schools (Alcoa and Maryville). If you live in the city you pay both county and city taxes so your kid can go to any of the 4 schools. Even if your kid goes to city parts of your taxes still go to the county school. If you live in the county you only pay county taxes so in order to go to a city school you must pay tuition. The county schools are overcrowded and WB has many mobile classrooms. On the academic side both schools rank below Alcoa and Maryville when it comes to testing. This is part of the reason Maryville may have 25% tuition students. It is a complex situation in Blount County. It is sad that success leads to accusations of recruiting and underhanded tactics, when in reality they are desciplined, play assignement football and win as a team.

...a very good post. you list several factors that can eastly be collated into a winning program. the funny thing is that this arguement eerily sounds like arguements that defend the small private schools in D1.

my point is that, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, much of the arguement made by publics for a complete split seems to be hypocritical. how can you not see that there are several public schools that operate with the very same methods that some small privates use, especially with regards to open enrollment?

imo, there's just too many holes in this line of arguement...

Alcoa, pay $500 and anyone can go there. It's like a private/public school but they don't get hit with the 1.8 multiplier. Level playing field anyone?

If they made Alcoa and Maryville use a 1.2 - 1.8 multiplier, do you think they would still win it every year?

CougarBrown you don't have clue.. Goodpasture has recruited for years and you want to whine. Boy that's calling the kettle black isn't it. Can anyone go to Goodpasture. I bet if they could really play football really, really good they could get a free ride to GP. When we beat you in 2000 in the semis. We should have been 1a that year and many before that. In 89 when we won it in 2a and beat BRENTWOOD ACADEMY. We should have been in 1a. If we would have played 1a in 88 we would have had back to back titles and maybe a few more. Our enrollment was around 400 during that time. I guess you could say we were already using the multiplier. Our enrollment now is around 425. I would also say that 96% of Alcoa players are from ALCOA. Having said that I expect some haters to spill their lies. What's really funning is your Cougars should go ahead and move to DII because they will have a better chance of winning. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That's a really good post. Some people just don't understand. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I just got email from USJ's Board of Directors that USJ is going DII starting in 2009. It also says that numerous other Privates are getting ready to make the same move. I have mixed feelings as a parent, because I understand both sides of the argument. I don't know any "Fair for Everyone" options though. Anyways, its a done deal now.

CPA staying in Div I

Add the 1.8 multiplier to Alcoa PLEASE! That would take our enrollment to 765. Alcoa would be a small 3A team and STILL kick everyones tail! IMO, Alcoa would have beat both 3A teams at last years championship game. And this year they would beat both Catholic and David Lipscomb.........So..........bring it on whiners! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Add the 1.8 multiplier to Alcoa PLEASE! That would take our enrollment to 765. Alcoa would be a small 3A team and STILL kick everyones tail! IMO, Alcoa would have beat both 3A teams at last years championship game. And this year they would beat both Catholic and David Lipscomb.........So..........bring it on whiners! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I have absolutely no doubt that Alcoa could win in 3A. They could very well when it all in 4A look how well you played against Maryville. They are nothing to sneeze at in 4A. Heck just forget it all and go play in the 6A playoffs and see how you do. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That's a really good post. Some people just don't understand. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Every single one of us is biased regarding this issue in one way or another. Also, not one of us knows what really goes on at all schools, if it is fair, why it is/isn't, and so on.

There are so many factors that contribute to a winning program it is hard to classify them, thus the constant shifting every 2-4 years. I believe the most "fair" method would be some form of urban-rural split, or at least a system that took into account population density instead of just enrollment. However, that would likely be too complicated to ever implement.

Everyone should keep in mind that our system could be much worse.