When does basketball practice start?

VolunteerGeneral

Hey GC...I didn`t make any accusations. I merely said they were practicing. It might not have been a "formal" practice, but playing scheduled pick up games during first block is practice nonetheless. I was just inquiring as to whether official practice had started yet. As to the "gear" they were wearing what I would call official practice jerseys. I never said they were doing anything wrong though. And yes, my company is doing some work out there this week.

Ok, my bad. I asked someone pretty close to the program and said they were pick-up games. I figured for someone to have been from Jackson and at GC at 9 in the morning, they had to have been with the construction crew. Keep up the good work out there! I can't wait to see the finished project!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, the TSSAA has no way of controlling what goes on in the schools. There aren't enought employees to monitor all schools. Any team with a block scheduled throughout the school day is already miles ahead of the school with after school practice. Most teams after school are splitting time with other sports. So Boys' and girls' basketball is split as well as volleyball at most schools. Some coaches are put on a time schedule while others are allowed to use up extra time. I feel if one school gets in school practice, every team should get in school practice; if not, cut it for all schools!

It is interesting to see how everybody determines the "fine line." My daughter has block scheduling and 4th period is conditioning. They start practice with the ball when they officially can. My daughter told me that they cannot play scheduled pick up games until the first official day of practice because that is playing by her coach's definition. They run, jump rope, play coordination games, lift weights, etc., until that magical day.

Lake Co boys played some pick-up ball about 3 weeks ago at a recreation center but the Obion Cen. boys just happened to be there also..The T.S.S. A.A. heard about it that day and called both schools..Now both schools can't play any preseason scrimmages or jamborees...I know this is a different scenario because wheras Gibson Co was probably playing against each other and the Lake Co incident could be looked at as an illegal scrimmage..Neither coach did any coaching but Lake Co was told because the coach gave the players a ride and Central just happened to be there was illegal..So..I'd be careful !

Lake Co boys played some pick-up ball about 3 weeks ago at a recreation center but the Obion Cen. boys just happened to be there also..The T.S.S. A.A. heard about it that day and called both schools..Now both schools can't play any preseason scrimmages or jamborees...I know this is a different scenario because wheras Gibson Co was probably playing against each other and the Lake Co incident could be looked at as an illegal scrimmage..Neither coach did any coaching but Lake Co was told because the coach gave the players a ride and Central just happened to be there was illegal..So..I'd be careful !

wow

wow

Coachgat..Talked to you a couple times at Dyersburg and at Martin at their tourney..Been keeping up with your team..About the boys..Coach said it wasn't during the dead period but the T.S.S.A.A. said it was two or 3 things they looked at..Central was suppose to be appealing..Not sure what happened..They were suppose to heard last week I believe..Lake Co was taking the stance to go ahead and take the penalty but was taking the wait and see approach..I imagine thet were going to see how Central fared and if Central got their probation dropped..then maybe appeal..The last I heard was Central was proposing an idea to the T.S.S. A.A. to penalize their coach,to put him on some kind of probation and not penalize the team..So..At the moment it looks like Lake Co won't participate in the Dyersburg tourney..I believe it's usually a package deal with all the boys and girls teams to be invited but maybe this year Dyersburg will let our girls play and maybe invite another boys team for this year only!

I thought students went to school for an education, not basketball practice. This might explain the ever declining grades of students. Now I know most teams have students that make excellent grades, but school is meant for the students to learn math, science, history, and other much needed skills. And don't forget reading.

On the subject of teams having in school practice, Sequatchie County High School had at least three athletes that were not eligible at division one schools because of in school practice. They were a credit short because they had taken an in school sport each year. Those students had to take a course over the summer to make up that credit. Some students were in danger of losing their scholarships. Now that's a shame!

I am all for high school sports. I spend two or three evenings a week watching high school sports. But what happened to extracurricular activities. These students need to learn as much in the actual classroom as they can. Basketball knowledge will get you to college but what about after college, or better yet after high school when you need a job and you can't pass the entrance exam to get that job.

A 26 one the ACT will get you into most any college you want with a full academic scholarship. The problem is there are no basketball questions on the ACT. Put these students back in the classroom where they are supposed to be so they can better themsleves for what awaits after high school.

I thought students went to school for an education, not basketball practice. This might explain the ever declining grades of students. Now I know most teams have students that make excellent grades, but school is meant for the students to learn math, science, history, and other much needed skills. And don't forget reading.

On the subject of teams having in school practice, Sequatchie County High School had at least three athletes that were not eligible at division one schools because of in school practice. They were a credit short because they had taken an in school sport each year. Those students had to take a course over the summer to make up that credit. Some students were in danger of losing their scholarships. Now that's a shame!

I am all for high school sports. I spend two or three evenings a week watching high school sports. But what happened to extracurricular activities. These students need to learn as much in the actual classroom as they can. Basketball knowledge will get you to college but what about after college, or better yet after high school when you need a job and you can't pass the entrance exam to get that job.

A 26 one the ACT will get you into most any college you want with a full academic scholarship. The problem is there are no basketball questions on the ACT. Put these students back in the classroom where they are supposed to be so they can better themsleves for what awaits after high school.

I don't know what the deal was with those ineligible athletes but to be eligible for NCAA division I all you need is 4 core credits a year to get you the 16 by the time you graduate. So that would be 4 classes out of six, so every year an athlete could actually take team sports/PE and still get what they need. That will give them little wiggle room with taking other courses but it could still be done. Lets say they took 5 per year, that would give them 20 core credits by the time they graduated.

A 26? Not so my friend. A 26 will not get one a full academic scholarship at any college as far as I know. I know of kids who have scored over 30 and find help hard to come by. For a girl, with some God given talent and a good work ethic, basketball is a great way to pay for college. I'll asure you that basketball is a more effective class for life skills than anything else the typical school offers.

Just a side note...This year`s freshman class at UT-Knoxville had an average ACT score of just under a 27. So instead of gettiing a full ride, a 26 is almost necessary just to get accepted.

Back to the practice issue though...I`m not picking on Gibson County because I`m sure there are a lot of other schools that have similar block scheduling, but I have a hard time calling these "pick up" games. It`s probably because I`ve always thought of pick up games in terms of being impromptu gatherings of people that show up to play a game of basketball. But in these cases it is a of kids being scheduled to be in the gym at a certain point during the school day.

This brings a few questions in my mind. If a coach can`t coach during this period then who is in charge of supervision during this period? Also, if these are just pickup games then what would happen if someone didn`t want to participate in them.? Could they just stay in their regular street clothes and watch since "pick up" games bring along a connotation of being voluntary?

Back to the practice issue though...I`m not picking on Gibson County because I`m sure there are a lot of other schools that have similar block scheduling, but I have a hard time calling these "pick up" games. It`s probably because I`ve always thought of pick up games in terms of being impromptu gatherings of people that show up to play a game of basketball. But in these cases it is a of kids being scheduled to be in the gym at a certain point during the school day.

This brings a few questions in my mind. If a coach can`t coach during this period then who is in charge of supervision during this period? Also, if these are just pickup games then what would happen if someone didn`t want to participate in them.? Could they just stay in their regular street clothes and watch since "pick up" games bring along a connotation of being voluntary?

A coach is in supervision of his players but that doesn't mean he's coaching them. If a player didn't want to participate in the pick-up games then why is the player playing girls basketball at GC? Girls basketball at GC is a big time thing and if a girl isn't wanting to participate and not get better with her team mates then there is no need in her playing girls basketball at a powerhouse like GC whom wins tons of games every year. I'm sure if the player didn't want to play then coach would have no choice however he could make it fall back on her during the season. Don't forget that girls basketball is a passion for our players. Some will be using basketball to get their college paid for so I'm sure they don't mind playing pick-up games and getting better.

A coach is in supervision of his players but that doesn't mean he's coaching them. If a player didn't want to participate in the pick-up games then why is the player playing girls basketball at GC? Girls basketball at GC is a big time thing and if a girl isn't wanting to participate and not get better with her team mates then there is no need in her playing girls basketball at a powerhouse like GC whom wins tons of games every year. I'm sure if the player didn't want to play then coach would have no choice however he could make it fall back on her during the season. Don't forget that girls basketball is a passion for our players. Some will be using basketball to get their college paid for so I'm sure they don't mind playing pick-up games and getting better.

My post wasn`t specific about GC. I was talking in general terms about any team and what constitutes a "PICK UP" game. Like I said in my post that I`ve always thought of a pick up game as being impromptu. It`s just hard for me to call it a pick up game when the coach tells them they are gonna scrimmage and they have a specified time in which to do it.